PowerVCR generated VCD compliant MPEG files problems?

vbimport

I use PowerVCR II to capture Home Videos directly to VCD Compliant MPEG files.

Files are generated fine, Nero accepts them as compliant PAL VCD MPEG files.

Those files play fine in PowerVCR, PowerDVD & Windows Media Player.

Now, the problem starts here:

Those files to play fine in:

1. Xing MPEG Player
  2. Play option of Nero after successfully adding the files in the compilation
  3. Hardware VCD Players burnt with MPEG files captured with PowerVCR

Things I noticed:

If I start PowerVCR & then open the MPEG file from Xing or Nero, it plays fine. If I directly play the file without starting PowerVCR, the files play very badly.

There are jerks in Audio, Each frame is followed by a Pink frame. In a Hardware VCD player, it plays badly too, The video & audio is jerky & hangs & then again resumes & so on.

What do i do ??? I have captured tons of Home Video in this way & have wasted 10 VCDs. Please Help me …
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

If you play these files with PowerDVD with nothing else open and are fine, then I dont see the problem. But are you saying that if you burn these to CD and playthem in your VCD player they are all choppy etc? Waht speed have you burnt the CD’s at and have you tried different brands of CDR’s?

Xing MPEG Player would have to be the absolute worst and very basic player ever written. Best thing is to ditch it. In its Video properties do you have Hardware accelleration ticked?

The same goes for Nero playback. Its very basic, just so you get a general picture of what its about, not designed to sit back and watch the movie with.

I’ve had problems with VCDs created by Nero. The best software to create VCDs is VCD Easy - it uses the GNU VCD Imager engine. I create .bin [ files using it and then burn the image using Nero. The resultant VCDs play perfect on all hardware players and computer systems.

Originally posted by ExpertTech
I’ve had problems with VCDs created by Nero. The best software to create VCDs is VCD Easy - it uses the GNU VCD Imager engine. I create .bin [ files using it and then burn the image using Nero. The resultant VCDs play perfect on all hardware players and computer systems.

If you use VCDEasy to create your cue/bin files, then why dont you simply get it to burn them to CD for you as well. VCDEasy is made specifically for VCD/SVCD and does get it right. Nero is a general purpose burning/encoding tool and a bit of a “jack of all trades, master of none” in my opinion.

You are right. I could have used it to burn it too…but had problems integrating it with CDRDAO (didnt support my writer) - Maybe the latest CDRDAO will…No probs with Nero burning the image…so…Actually the strength of VCD Easy is parsing the MPEG and creating the bin file - with the chapters, menu etc etc.

Originally posted by ChickenMan
Nero is a general purpose burning/encoding tool and a bit of a “jack of all trades, master of none” in my opinion.

I agree 100%

Video CDs: VCD Easy
Audio CDs: Feurio
Data CDs: Any writing S/W

But the fact is that Nero’s too popular! But it does its job if you dont want too much of customization…that explains why majority of the people use it.

Originally posted by ChickenMan
[B]If you play these files with PowerDVD with nothing else open and are fine, then I dont see the problem. But are you saying that if you burn these to CD and playthem in your VCD player they are all choppy etc? Waht speed have you burnt the CD’s at and have you tried different brands of CDR’s?

Xing MPEG Player would have to be the absolute worst and very basic player ever written. Best thing is to ditch it. In its Video properties do you have Hardware accelleration ticked?

The same goes for Nero playback. Its very basic, just so you get a general picture of what its about, not designed to sit back and watch the movie with. [/B]

The VCD MPEG files play fine in PowerDVD & also in Xing/Nero (only if I keep PowerVCR running).

If PowerVCR is off, Xing/Nero run the files very very badly.

I have used 2 different media at different speeds: 24x & 48x.

Also checked them in 2 VCD players. One CD-R(W) & other not. Both yield same results.

I am confused.
:confused:

I ask again, do the files play fine in PowerDVD with nothing else open ?

Sorry, there is a mix up.

Here is the final result:

1. PowerDVD & Windows Media Player play those files properly without anything else (PowerVCR) open.

2. Xing & Nero don’t play those files unless PowerVCR is open.

Forget Nero & Xing playback, not worth the effort of playing them with those as I said before. Thay are the problem, not your files.

So PowerDVD playback on the PC is fine but when you burn them as compliant VCD’s with Nero, they paly pretty crappy on your VCD Player. I ask again, what actual burning speed did you use to burn the VCD’s ? Did you burn them at their rated max speed of 32x and 40x? If you did, then thats the problem. Slow the burn speed down to 8x (4x if you can) and let us know the results.

CM

First CD Burnt (Sprint CD-R) - SmartBurn Limit=32x but, I burnt @ the rated 24x.

Second CD Burnt (Samsung Premium 40x) - Smarburn Limit=48x but, I burnt @ the rated 40x.

I have burnt an Audio CD on a Pinco 2x-48x rated media @ 40x (SmartBurn Limit) which has no problems at all.

Also, I have burnt my backup copies of VCDs on the above mentioned Princos @ 40x & they have no problems on the VCD Players.

:confused:

Still shall i try burning @ 8x or 4x.

No one has any suggestions.
:confused: :bow:

@darshanjog. I would definitely agree with chickenman’s posting about slowing down your burns. Whenever I’ve burnt home captured VHS to VCD, I always burn at 4x using my Asus 4012a & either Kodak silver & golds or Mitsui Golds CD’Rs.
I’ve read a lot of accounts of people having sync issues as a result of fast CD-R burns-they’ll play fine on the PC but then start going out of sync & other problems on standard DVD players.

Have you tried your VCD’s on anyone else’s PC or standalone DVD player,(must be VCD & CD’R compatible of course.)?

BTW-What format are you capturing in to begin with. If you’re capturing to AVI, have you considered using TmpGenc?

For myself I use VirtualDub & TmpGenc,& burnt with Nero to VCD & have never had any hassles replaying through my standalone DVD player or on WinDVD.

Well, don’t think the problem is the burning speed.

I have backed up many VCDs @ 40x burn speed & they all play fine on all VCD players including those of others.

But, these VCD created after capturing from PowerVCR have problems in all VCD players. But, play fine is WMP & PowerDVD.

However, they have problems playing in Xing.

I am not using TmpGenc because I directly want to capture to VCD compliant MPEG file & not to a AVI & then encode SLOWLY to a VCD Compliant MPEG.

Originally posted by darshanjog
I am not using TmpGenc because I directly want to capture to VCD compliant MPEG file & not to a AVI & then encode SLOWLY to a VCD Compliant MPEG.

Clearly Power VCD II is not making a fully complaint VCD, then to solve your problem you may well just have to sesort to encoding an AVI with TMPGenc. Personly I have not seen any program that can ever capture direct to VCD that does a good job, simple as that. Thats why most people resort to capture to AVI then convert to what ever format they are after.

So, you suggest I capture the files to an AVI first & then encode them to VCD Compliant MPEG files ???

I’ll have to find a friend with a faster processor & give him the encoding task.

:bigsmile:

I personally use the ATI Multimedia Center v.7.7.0.1 (Digital VCR) to capture VCD compliant MPEG files, avi, etc.

When I need to do some editing with visual effects, animated text, etc. I use Ulead VideoStudio.

You might want to capture your videos directly to VCD Compliant MPEG files using Ulead VideoStudio and see if it works for you.

Check their Video Capture Cards Compatibility List to see if it supports your Video Capture Card.

:cool:

You might want to capture your videos directly to VCD Compliant MPEG files using Ulead VideoStudio and see if it works for you

I didn’t know Ulead Video Studio can directly capture to VCD Compliant MPEG files !!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks for the info. I’ll try it ASAP.

Anyone of you done it already ?

I have been investigating the issue with this powerVCR II 3.0, the problem can go deeper if some one can write a report to a core member who creates software in cyberlink.
The problem can be found with any mpeg1 file created with cyberlink mpeg1 encoder engine, common software like the PowerVCRII3.0 and PowerDirector 2.5 Pro. Many users not noticed the existence of the problem until they attempt to playback their finished VCD movie with Home DVD player that does not have hardware AV code error correction built in. In windows environment, windows media player or powerDVD will do the job via software, some player like Xing mpeg player is for lower spec slow PC, therefore have turned off soft correction in order to decrease the work load for the CPU.
At this stage, for anyone reading this message could still have many questions to ask surrounding windows environment, devices problem, hardware defect, software problem…etc. Try it yourself at home; anyone can generate the same real problem with Real ONE player and cyberlink PowerDirectorPro 2.5 trial. Both are free for download from their WebPages. For a fare result, there is a small sample mpeg1 file included within the powerdirectorpro 2.5 installation directory, play it using the Real One player, you should notice something wrong. The Real One player has turned off the soft mpeg1 decode correction, the older player Real player 8 however have it on by default.
If you have any mpeg1 which is encoded via cyberlink’s engine, there is no fix for them, I can only recommend playing them with PowerDVD or Media player, better if can make sure your friend have PC or they have a DVD player which handles code correction.
Attempted to use application like the Ulead mediastudio Pro 7.0 to convert and re-encode them, the software does the job to match the video and audio stream and parallelise them, the end result is that you get a smooth playback with this file, however the video is half of a second ahead before the audio is play, it is not that obvious can see the delay.
The Investigation result cannot yet conclude a solution to work around with it, or no one will bother to work with it, since most soft player and newer DVD player can handle and correct this errors.

I tried re-encoding the file with VCDGear. XingMPEG Encoder & TMPEnc (don’t remember exact).

But, the resultant file is still the same problematic one.

So, I am not the only one with the problem.

There are others.