Powervcr encoding to divx or xvid

I was wondering if there is a way to encode straight to divx or xvid.

As an alternative you could try using Virtual Dub if you’re converting from AVI to DivX

Originally posted by AnimeFreek
I was wondering if there is a way to encode straight to divx or xvid.

Encode from what? When recording?

If you want to know if it’s possible to record from e.g. TV and you want to record to divx… yes that’s possible, but it’s really heavy for your system. If you want to do real good encoding (multipass + vbr) this can’t be done realtime…

The Program Showshifter allows you to record directly to DivX with a TV-card. I’ve tested it with DivX5 (single pass; 0.8-1mbps)and mp3 sound. The quality is not bad; enough for playback on television through tv-out. But don’t expect superb DVD quality :stuck_out_tongue:

I would try converting it… but my powervcr won’t even let me record i mean yea it will record but when i click stop or have it set to automatically stop it freezes up and sometimes even freezes my system…i was wondering about the divx at first cause i kinda wanted smaller file sizes for the files…i can’t even record though

if you can figure out how to record without freezing, chickenman has great tutorials about switching between the various formats. there is a forum near the bottom of the listings devoted to it.