Power supply

Hi second time on cdfreaks , first time had help with connecting a molex with the power on , fried board , and thanks for all your answers , it got me thinking does someone know if there is an power in-line electronic Short Circuit Breaker
avaible for the pc . would it work .? i am getting on in years and might do the same stupid mistake again . thanks for any replys brianr5451

[QUOTE=brianr5451;2296691]Hi second time on cdfreaks , first time had help with connecting a molex with the power on , fried board , and thanks for all your answers , it got me thinking does someone know if there is an power in-line electronic Short Circuit Breaker
avaible for the pc . would it work .? i am getting on in years and might do the same stupid mistake again . thanks for any replys brianr5451[/QUOTE]

Well it kinda hard to answer you question without knowing what your system specs it’s hard to tell what PS will work with it. The expensive PS about 150 US or more and reliable name provides some kinda protection inside the PS supply but that only if your willing to spend money for higher quality PS. My PS is 750 watts rated Antec with 80% efficiency but it weights a ton…and is one of the heavier components in my mid-tower. But it works like a charm considering my GPU is a GeForce 260 GTX black edition which can cook eggs-matter of speaking. So if you want the best you have to be willing to spend the money for such units and go with a known brand name and also check their certification that they are SLI or Crossfire even if you don’t use it you never know.

I’m not aware of such a device and even if one were available I wouldn’t trust it.

Cable connections inside a computer should always be made with the computer turned off.

Might be a good idea to ensure that you do not remove the side cover of your case until the AC power cable is disconnected.

Some of the better ones have over voltage and current protection so they shut down if they detect massive spikes but that might still not be fast enough to avoid your problems. I accidentally plugged a molex in backwards while my machine was on. The power supply tripped off but when I realized what I had done it was too late, it fried 2 SCSI hard drives and a brand new 12x CDRW burner, very expensive day because I knew I couldn’t plug a cable in wrong because they are keyed…:rolleyes: If your mucking around with power cables always turn it off :iagree:

Might be a good idea to ensure that you do not remove the side cover of your case until the AC power cable is disconnected.
:iagree:

That’s been my train of thought since I fried a cdrom.