Power Supply

vbimport

First of all, thanks to all that put me in the right direction as to the threads. I’m a newbie and I just signed in like 8 minutes ago so I’m completly green.

Right I’ve go this problem. yesterday night i put my PC on standby and on the back there is a switch which you can click I think its power change or something … well my PC was on standby and i clicked it. All i saw was a flash and a click and computer went DEAD… is it gonna affect other components like mother board (most important) or graphic card??? PLEASE help me!!

Many thanks, Adrian.

It could effect other stuff but really you wont know till you have changed your psu , it has happened a few times to me when repairing pcs before and 9 times out of 10 its been fine after a new psu :slight_smile: hope that helps

Adrian, I hope that was the power button … and not the Input Voltage change switch.

Changing the input voltage will make your power supply go boom, and if it’s a cheap power supply, your whole PC will go boom :expressionless:

I’d suggest you get a light behind there and check it out & keep your fingers crossed that it was just the main power switch, and not the input voltage switch.

What country are you in?
USA & Canada is 100-120V input.
Most of the rest of the world is 200-240V input.

can it affect motherboard ??? I really need help with it …

im in UK … oh and that was some red click thing you could change it from … 230v (i think ) to 115v

and the power supply didnt go BOOM but it was like, lightning

It’s gone Bang.

You WILL need to buy a new Power Supply Unit … and keep your fingers crossed that it hasn’t fried your motherboard & other components.

If you switched from115 to 23v in the U.S the PSU will not start or will just fry it to not work. So I take it that you switched it and even though you switched it back it won’t work?

no it doesn’t work … DAMN …about how many % i could affect mother board and other components ???

50/50 on the percent. Get another PSU and pull the old one out and put the new one in, from there you’ll know if it fried anything else.

You can open the box and see if you can detect any burns on mobo.
It is just for first look, does not mean that some components are not gone.
Only way about it is to get new power supply and see what happen after install.
If you are lucky it could be just a power supply fuse that went, but you have to open the cower to see.

[QUOTE=marcus_667;2066419]It could effect other stuff but really you wont know till you have changed your psu , it has happened a few times to me when repairing pcs before and 9 times out of 10 its been fine after a new psu :slight_smile: hope that helps[/QUOTE]

^ :slight_smile:

90% certain that your Mobo is fried - that looks like a really old, or dodgy PSU, as all the good ones for the last few years have been automatic dual voltage.

10% that your other components will be damaged.
Video Cards, sounds cards & add-on cards … shrugs … if it’s not directly connected to the PSU, is hopefully saved by your mobo’s sacrifice.
Ram similarly … fingers crossed
Drives & fans seem to be hardier & take a fair bit to die.

I’d suggest you ask before you randomly switch hardware switches without knowing what they do.

[QUOTE=debro;2066434]

I’d suggest you ask before you randomly switch hardware switches without knowing what they do.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: :bow:

oh my god … u scaring me people !! :(:(:(:(:frowning: ;(

im pis**d if mobo is dead … f…lip

oh and is it possible that the psu could cut of the power first THEN flash out ??? that click could be a power cut to other components … and that flash it could be a burn

Do not try to speculate, just open the box, get power supply out, open it or get new one, install and see.
It could be all OK after that.
If not you will have to deal with it than.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2066450]Do not try to speculate, just open the box, get power supply out, open it or get new one, install and see.
It could be all OK after that.
If not you will have to deal with it than.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

As many others have said, you won’t know conclusively until you get a new PSU. And don’t go for the cheapest one you see, either. :wink:

its WORKING !!! I GOT A NEW PSU AND ITS LIKE … NEW !!!

thanks to EVERYONE that helped me with it :):):):slight_smile:

Glad to hear it, Adrian :slight_smile: