I have a Dell Dimension XPS T600 box that I have upgraded over time:

Added hard drives
replaced CD drives
replaced processor with powerleap 1.4 Ghz celeron
maxed out RAM to 768MB
added PCI cards
added wireless capability

It works fine. Now, I’d like to upgrade the video card to something like this
Diamond Viper Radeon X1650PRO Graphics Card - ATi Radeon X1650PRO 600MHz - 512MB GDDR2 SDRAM - PCI Express x16 - X1650PCIE512

My question: this card says it needs 300w power. My current power supply specifies output:200w.

So, I am assuming I needed a more powerful power supply unit. Is this right? or will the current PSU be okay?

Thanks.

[QUOTE=Mando_F5;1985492]Hello, just joined the forum.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS T600 box that I have upgraded over time:

Added hard drives
replaced CD drives
replaced processor with powerleap 1.4 Ghz celeron
maxed out RAM to 768MB
added PCI cards
added wireless capability

It works fine. Now, I’d like to upgrade the video card to something like this
[B][U]Diamond Viper Radeon X1650PRO Graphics Card - ATi Radeon X1650PRO 600MHz - 512MB GDDR2 SDRAM - PCI Express x16 - X1650PCIE512[/U][/B]

My question: this card says it needs 300w power. My current power supply specifies output:200w.

So, I am assuming I needed a more powerful power supply unit. Is this right? or will the current PSU be okay?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, your Dell Dimension XPS T600 is a very old system (by today’s supercharged system specs). It does not support PCI-Express at all; it is an AGP-based system. Not only that, but the T600’s AGP slot is not even AGP 2.0-compliant; it is only AGP 1.x (the T600 used Intel’s 440BX chipset, which was a great chipset in its 1998-1999 heyday, but is now “obsolete”). Many of the newest AGP cards will not even physically fit the T600’s AGP slot due to their slot keying. The card that you’re considering will not fit any of the T600’s expansion slots – not even physically (because PCI-Express cards are not even physically compatible with legacy PCI slots)!

Moreover, if you want to upgrade the system’s power supply, you’ll also have to upgrade the system’s motherboard (and possibly purchase a new CPU and new memory, since your system’s existing CPU and memory cannot be carried over onto a new motherboard). This is because the Dell power supplies of the T600’s time were wired differently from a normal ATX connector even though the T600’s power supply unit used a connector that was physically compatible with normal ATX sockets. (In other words, the motherboard’s ATX socket is physically, but not electrically, compatible with a normal ATX power supply connector. Using a normal ATX connector on the Dell T600 motherboard will burn out both the motherboard and the power supply unit.)

Therefore, my recommendation is to not spend even a single penny (cent) on that old system, and instead save up for an entirely new system.

Power supply for new graphics card. This isn’t a reply, I don’t know if this is the right place, I hope to be told as I can’t find where to put questions. I have an Asus 8600GT Magic graphics card which I will install when I get a new motherboard, I read that it needs a 750W power supply, is this right? I have a 500W PSP (quite new) the main power users are 5 HDD’s.

8600GT is a rather “low power” video card so you’ll be fine if the PSU can output 500W.
//Danne

Thanks Dizzy, I thought that too so it’s good to have someone else confirm it.