Power Record Disabled Scans

vbimport

There has been a lot of discussion lately about the use of Power Record so I had some spare time and conducted a test with one Media. What I did was used Plextools Write Transfer Rate test with Power Record enabled to find two disc that were similar in write performance, they are not identical but as close as I could get after scanning 15 different discs. One disc was burned at 16x with P/R and A/S enabled and the other was burned @16x with P/R and A/S diabled. Both discs were burned with Img Tool Burn @ 4464 Mb. Img tool does not add the lead in or lead out time to the burn so I am guessing you should add 40 sec to the times I post. Some people are going to ask why disable Power Record, well because I can and Plextor gave me that option, why I have no idea. :slight_smile:
Anybody is welcome to add their comments or findings to this and I wll try to add some other media at a later date. Here are my results.

Test 1 Power Record on.
Plextor 716A, 1.06 FW. TLA#0304
YUDEN000 T02. Fujifilm DVD-R 8x
Both discs checked with Media Quality Check and Judged good for 12x burn.
Burned @16x P/R on A/S on
Burn Time 5:49

Test 2 Power Record and A/S off
YUDEN000 T02. Fujifilm DVD-R 8x
Burned @16x.
Power record was used for the Write Transfer test then Disabled.
Burn Time 5:14
Note the Red on the Sum 1 test, I think Plextor was nice enough to incorporate a Coaster indicator to Plextools. :slight_smile:

why’d the speed drop with PR OFF? it’s not supposed to drop at all (mine doesn’t). and how do you have a write curve if the discs were burned with ImgTool Burn?

@drpino I tested both discs with power record on so I could get the discs as close as possible to the same then disabled P/R on the second burn. Some of these discs will go right to 16x with P/R enabled so I wanted to make sure I got two similar discs that P/R should have had an influence on the burn. :slight_smile:

ohhhh, i get it now.

TYG02. Fujifilm DVD-R. 8x
Burned @ 16x P/R and A/S off.
Disc checked with Media Quality Check and Judged good for 12x burn
Simulated Write test carried out with P/R on then off
Burned with Img Tool Burn. Time 5:35 P/R off
Above scans are +R not - My mistake. :confused:
This media doesn’t seems as sensitive to P/R as +R. Looks to me like P/R would have kicked in around the 3.8 Gb mark and kept the PIE’s close to 20.
I think the point is: Let Power Record do it’s thing and if you turn it off don’t complain about your Plextor giving you bad burns.
Note the end speed of P/R Off write test 16.50x??

crossq, I still can’t figure out why your burn transfer rate graphs have so few OPC checks…

EDIT I figured it out. Those are simulation scans :o

Yeah I wish I could afford the media to waste and do it properly, but a least it gives people an Idea of what P/R does when turned off. I Hope!! :slight_smile:

even with PR OFF, that burn is just fine.

Yes indeed!

I have NEVER burned a DVD with a PIF maximum less than 2 and your Sum1 scan shows a maximum of 1 PIF! :eek:

So even though I have burns with a lower PIE score I still have to :bow:

Hehe. Guess this media wasn’t the best for this test as it burns pretty well in just about any burner. Wish I could get some media that Power Record was needed, then turned off to show the difference. Because that’s what I was trying to do.
BTW. drpino. what happened to that nice Avatar you had! :sad:

this is my staple interim one whilst i look for an even better one :wink:

Plextor 716A. TLA#0304 1.06 FW
YUDEN000 T02 Fujifilm DVD+R 8x
Plextools Write Transfer Rate Test.16x
Power Record on.

Plextor 716A. TLA#0304 1.06 FW
YUDEN000 T02 Fujifilm DVD+R 8x
Plextools Write Transfer Rate Test.16x
Power Record Off.

good example of how PR works…you should add Read Transfer Rate scans to your battery of tests to show how PIFs affect readability at high speeds (analagous to FFing @ 32X in a stand-alone).

drpino. Thx I knew I forgot something important. :confused: Managed to get the read test for the P/R Off scan done and posted before my edit ran out but the P/R on scan I didn’t get in time. BTW. Tried to do the read test @16x and Plextools kept going back to 5X-12X, More software with a mind of it’s own. More reading required!!
@ G@M3FR3@K could you please add this Read scan to post #13. Please and Thx. :slight_smile: > done

PX716 can only read single layer PRESSED DVDs @ 16X. burned (even bitset) +Rs and -Rs read at 12X max.

Thx for the Info saved me some reading. Guess I am guilty of having different Brands of burners as they all are a bit differernt in scanning. :wink:

no prob…you can see this if you go to Drive Information in PTPro under the READ tab it states the speeds with asterisks…

Plextor 716A. 1.06 FW. TLA#0304.
Vebatim MCC 004 DVD+R 16x
Burned @16x P/R and A/S On
Media Quality check judged good for 12x burn.