Power Producer Gold 2

I am using Power Producer Gold 2, which I have used NUMEROUS times to burn DVD movies. The burner is just on my computer (came w/ my computer?), my computer is a Gateway. Anyway, I have never had trouble before and I have burned 3 home videos, and numerous sports videos of my kids. I have a JVC hard disk camcorder that I transfer or copy the files from, onto the computer then I use Power Director Express NE, which is where I put the videos in order, edit, put titles, etc. Then, it automatically goes into Power Producer Gold 2 to produce the DVD. All seems to go well, until it says, “writing lead-in”, then the DVD gets popped out of my computer drive with the message: Power Producer failed to burn because of a catostrospic failure." Can anyone help here?? I have never had this happen before, and really need to get these movies burned onto a DVD! Thank you!

Have you tested the dvd drive to see if it still reads and writes dvds outside of Power Producer Gold? Try playing a dvd movie in PowerDVD if you have it, or VLC media player if you have no other program for playing dvd-video. VLC is free to download and use: www.videolan.org

Try writing a simple data file to a dvd in your regular burning program and see if that works.

It will help if you tell us the make and model burner you have. You can find that out by running Nero CD/DVD Speed. That info will be near the top of the window in the program. You can also tell us the id code of the disks you are using. Just load a disk in the drive, start the program and click on Disc Info, then tell us the MID code. http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

Have you changed the type of disks you normally use?

Another thing to look for is current DMA status of the drive, but I’d like to know the model first. Your drive may be SATA interface instead of regular IDE/PATA, especially if it is a fairly new computer.

If you want to go ahead and check DMA status now, look through this guide: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/ The important part is Current Transfer Mode. It should be Ultra DMA 2 or 4 for optical drives.

Thank you for your reply…I did try just playing a movie in my dvd/cd drive and it works fine. I don’t know what you mean by trying writing a simple data file?? You’ll have to talk to me in major laymen’s terms…sorry! Anyway, as far as the make and model of burner, I am not sure if this is it or not, but all I could find was: Optical Drive DVD +_ (the minus sign is directly underneath the + sign) RW Multi-Format Double Layer. The burner came with the entire system (computer, modem, screen, etc.). My computer itself has a 200 GB hard drive. I am not following you AT ALL when you talk about running Nero CD/DVD Speed?? I didn’t do anything different or use anything different this time either. I am using the same disks as I always have…and do you mean you want me to just put in a blank DVD and start the Power Producer Gold program?? I have no idea what you mean by the DMA status of the drive?? Like I said, the model is just what I could find on my modem, that came with my Gateway computer…it all came together…the burner already included…follow what I am saying?? I’m sorry, I am sure I sound like a complete moron to you! We bought the computer and everything that went with it in April of 06, not sure if that helps or not either? We got it from Costco. Lastly, to check the “DMA status” I just need to click on that link you gave me in your post?? Sorry for all the stupid questions, but you are way over my head here! :confused: I will wait to hear back from you…if you have the patience! :o Thanks again.

Tanya

Ok. First step. Download the program Nero CD/DVD Speed. Click on this link: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/download.html#nerocdspeed
Then click on NeroCDSpeed_47716.zip Go ahead and say yes to downloading it.
The file you download will be in a zip format. Right click on it and hit Extract all. This will give you access to the program.

Now, the reason I want you to look with this program is that it will tell us the make, the model and the current firmware of your dvd drive. When you click on the Disc info tab within Nero CD/DVD Speed we will be able to see what type of disks you are using by the MID code…so have one of the blank disks in it when you do this. I have included two images to help you see what I want from the program. They are highlighted in the pictures.

With me so far? Now, I suspect that your drive is malfunctioning, not your program. So to rule that out, we need to check the DMA status of the drive. The Guide I linked in my previous post shows you step by step how to look for the current transfer mode of your dvd drive. Click on the link and see if you can follow those instructions.

But I also need you to tell me the make, and model of your burner now, so post back with that info from Nero CD/DVD Speed.

Now, another test for your burner. You don’t seem to have a general purpose burning program that you normally use for putting data onto a dvd. Here is a free one: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download Download it and install. Put a blank dvd in the drive (this is going to waste one of your blank dvds by the way). Start up ImgBurn and click on Write Files/Folders to Disk.

This will start the program. You will see two windows. In the top one, hover your cursor over the little folder icon and click on it. This lets you search for a folder on the hard drive that you can burn to a disk. Choose one (other than Windows) that will fit on the dvd and select it. Now click on the big disc icon in this window to start the burn. Say yes to any messages and lets see if your burner can burn this successfully.

I want to see if the drive works outside the Power Producer program.

Okay, I did MOST of what you said, and found out that the MID code for the disks I am using is: TTH02; I then did exactly what it said to do in that one link you sent, about the DMA status and transfer speeds, etc. and that all seemed to be what it should be. I then tried to download the imgburn deal, but cannot for some reason, it just keeps re-directing me to the same page. I tried to go in and burn a dvd and take notes, and this time, during the “Creating and Organizing folders” part, it got to 88%, and then my dvd was ejected and power producer gold 2 said: Burning Failed-PP2Gold has failed to complete the tasks because: catastrophic failure. So, I am not sure where to go from here, simply b/c I am not able to download what you told me to download and install (the imgburn)… I click on download, free download, download now, you name it, I tried ALL of it. So, I am stuck I guess?? Any help is of course appreciated!! VERY FRUSTRATED IN MT!!:a

You still haven’t told me the make and model dvd drive you have.

The TTH02 mid code was a TDK brand id code, but TDK no longer produce these as far as I am aware. Maybe you’ve had these a while? Or they could be fake id, but I’m not sure how likely that is. Have these same disks, out of the same container worked for you before?

So, you might try different disks…see if you can get some Verbatim brand to try. Sony might be a ok substitute also.

If you still want to test and see if the burner can burn data, look at the image I’m posting. This is from the same download page I linked in the last post. http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download Click where I have highlighted to download the program.

Do you have the original disk that was used to install Power Producer Gold? If the program has somehow become corrupted, you could uninstall it and reinstall it…but only if you have the original disk and the serial number used in installation.

Thanks for getting back to me! I was out of town all day yesterday, so I apologize for the delay. As far as telling you what brand of burner I have…all I know is the data I gave earlier, that I can find on the outside of my modem, b/c the entire system came w/ the computer, it is a media center. So, maybe if you give me an idea of WHERE to look, I can manage to find it? :o In one of my earlier emails I posted that it was an optical drive, is that it?? Do you want the brand and model of my actual computer?

Also, yes, these are the same dvd’s I have always used and they worked fine. As far as having the original disk to install the software, it is nowhere to be found, I have searched high and low and cannot seem to find it, IF I even installed it with a cd…I cannot remember. I know the entire computer system was already installed with Cyberlink Power DVD? When I put in a dvd/cd-rom, it works fine. I will go and try and download that thing from imagburn, the picture was helpful, thank you!

Should I go into my control panel and try and uninstalling the Power Producer 2 Gold and then re-install it? That happened to me one time before when I first tried to burn a dvd, but it was with the beginning software, Power Express NE and once I uninstalled it and then re-installed it, it worked fine. My concern is thoug, will I lose all of my videos by doing that?

Also, one more question, could the drive just be dirty? I have a friend that said to try just using a cleaning disk and see if that will work? Thanks for all your help, I will try to download the imagburn and follow those directions sometime later today, thank you again, VERY MUCH for your patience, I can only imagine how annoying it is to have to go through everything like this step by step for someone who basically knows nothing! :o I will get back to you after I download and try and write a basic data file to the drive.

If this helps, this is model of my computer (that is on my modem): GM4019E, it is a Media Center Edition, Digital Media Manager is on the outside of the modem, it also has this sticker on the outside of the modem: AMD 64 Athlon, and another sticker that says: Graphics By nvidia?

Don’t uninstall Power Producer Gold 2 unless you have the disks and serial number necessary to reinstall it. Removing it shouldn’t affect the videos you now have on the hard drive, but I don’t want you to lose the program and not be able to reinstall.

If you look at the very first image I posted of Nero CD/DVD Speed in this thread, you’ll see a little area that is highlighted in pink. This shows information about one of my dvd burners—TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B SB04. That little area in Nero CD/DVD Speed is what I want you to report back to me about your burner.

Go ahead and try a burn with ImgBurn and report your luck with that too. Maybe we’ll get enough information to find a solution soon.

Okay, all I have time to do right now, is to go back to that Nero Speed thing and I went in and looked at the part you had highlighted, with a blank DVD in my drive, and all it has on that line is this: TTH02, that’s it! Is that a bad sign? I will try and do the data part, later…I have four kiddos at home with me, so I am very busy! I will get back to you though after I do this last part! Thanks again!!

Tanya

Launch ImgBurn & click write image file to disc, (it doesn’t matter because you are not going to go as far as write. Put a blank disc that you use in the tray, wait until it says ready & then follow the pics. Once you have left clicked & copied from the second pic, just open a reply post here, right click in the window & left click paste.

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B SB01 (SCSI)
Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,298,496
Free Space: 4,707,319,808 bytes
Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x, 18x

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: 0@P-!-00
Book Type: DVD-R
Part Version: 5
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Okay, here you go, hopefully, this is what you need?? Do you just need a copy of the second pic, not the first one right?? Thanks a ton!! I’ll wait to hear back.

Tanya

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D GA01 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,298,496
Free Space: 4,707,319,808 bytes
Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: TTH02

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: 0@P-!-00
Book Type: DVD-R
Part Version: 5
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Good. Your burner is a Samsung TS-H552D model using the GA01 firmware. Your computer is made by Gateway and is model GM4019E.

I’ve found a firmware update for the drive if we need to use it. This is the link

Your drive is an IDE interface drive, so DMA status may come into play here.

Lets try a burn in ImgBurn and see if the drive works with it. Let us know.

Okay, so how do I go about doing that? And, do I need to do the firmware update first? Let me know when you can…thanks!

Tanya

Hi,[quote=tbradley;2208466]Okay, so how do I go about doing that?[/quote]Burning with ImgBurn? Let Power Producer create an ISO image file (read the documentation how to do that) instead of burning to DVD. Then - after installation of ImgBurn - right-click on the .ISO file should offer you a “burn with ImgBurn” option.

Concerning the firmware update:
Follow the link Kerry has given. There you will also see links to instructions (“How to install”).
You might also read this article: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/howto-flash-firmware-samsung-dvd-writer-231217/ as additional information.

And, do I need to do the firmware update first?
Your firmware is rather old. There are chances, that the blank media you are using at the moment are better supported with the new firmware version.

Michael

Go ahead and try first without the firmware update since these particular disks were working for you before all this started.

Put a disk in the drive. Open ImgBurn. Click on Write files/folders to disc. Then click on the little folder icon in the top window. I’ve enclosed a picture showing this. Select a folder on your hard drive that is small enough to fit onto a blank dvdr.

Then click on the disk icon (shown in the picture) to start the burn. ImgBurn will ask questions as you do this…just say yes and let it go ahead and burn. The main purpose of this exercise is to see if the drive is working at all, outside of your PowerProducer software.

If we have problems on this burn, the next step might be to update firmware, as Michael has pointed out, yours is fairly old and the disks might work better with the update.

Okay, again…another retarded question…sorry! When I picked a folder to burn, I just chose My Documents, but got an error message, so I guess I am not sure what folder to choose?? I don’t know how to tell what folder is small enough to fit on the blank dvdr, and does it have to be a specific KIND of folder?? I know, sorry I am so stupid. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Tanya

Any small folder will work. Its just a test. Look inside My Documents and hover your cursor over one. It should show you the size in mb. Anything smaller than 4.3gb will work.

Okay, never mind…I just picked a different file/folder…whatever! I chose My Received Files, and went through the prompts, and it worked…I got a box that said: Operation Successfully Completed! Also, I don’t know if this matters or not, but when I get the picture from ImgBurn, there is a check mark in the Verify box, should there be one there? I am just wondering b/c in the picture you sent to me, there was no checkmark in any of the boxes…so I didn’t know if that made a difference or not. Okay, thanks…I guess let me know what to do next?? Thanks!

Tanya