Power install

vbimport

I am tring to install a 500W Power supply, replacing a 250W supply, all hookups fit perfectly, as does the unit, upon rebooting I get a message"“Reboot and select proper device” and “Insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key”. Never installed a PS ,have installed numerous other devices with not too many problems, followed all instructions, and here I am. Help!

Likely that your motherboard BIOS has been reset, so you’ll want to go in there and re-set everything including the boot priority. Might also want to change the CMOS battery, since that’s probably dead.

To me it sounds like your Boot-up HDD is not Powered or connected properly. If your MB Battery was bad, it would want you to go into your Bios to reset things. Your message is that it can’t find your Boot-up HDD, so make sure the Power and Interface are connected properly. :cool:

So just to reaffirm what was said already. Check to make sure all the connectors are connected. Also make sure you connected both power cables to the MB. Each device (HDD and ODD) should have two connections, one for power the other the data cable (SATA). Your new video card also needs a 6-pin power connector attached to the end of it.

If that doesn’t do the trick then you have to get into the BIOS. You do that by tapping the ‘F1’ key or the ‘Del’ key when the machine first boots up. Then in the menu’s you look for ‘Boot Priority’ and then select your HDD as the first boot device. You PC is pretty new so its most likely not the battery.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2609808]So just to reaffirm what was said already. Check to make sure all the connectors are connected. Also make sure you connected both power cables to the MB. Each device (HDD and ODD) should have two connections, one for power the other the data cable (SATA). Your new video card also needs a 6-pin power connector attached to the end of it.

If that doesn’t do the trick then you have to get into the BIOS. You do that by tapping the ‘F1’ key or the ‘Del’ key when the machine first boots up. Then in the menu’s you look for ‘Boot Priority’ and then select your HDD as the first boot device. You PC is pretty new so its most likely not the battery.[/QUOTE]

eric, thanks for the reply. The way I replaced the old with the new was take a wire out and replace it from the new supply. I will check again. Stupid question what is the ODD device?

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2609816]eric, thanks for the reply. The way I replaced the old with the new was take a wire out and replace it from the new supply. I will check again. Stupid question what is the ODD device?[/QUOTE]

Optical Disk Drive. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

ODD = [B]O[/B]ptical [B]D[/B]isc [B]D[/B]rive.

Michael

Beaten by a few seconds…

[QUOTE=mciahel;2609824]Beaten by a few seconds…[/QUOTE]

It’s the thought that counts! :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

The data cable may have been dislodged while changing the power cables, so ensure that they are fully in.

Okay, going back to your original post and “Reboot and select proper device” means you have to go into the BIOS like I mentioned before and you have to select your HDD as the first boot device. You should also make sure under the setting that that PCIx16 slot is set to be used (instead of PCI or onboard video) under the video options, there might be also the option to turn off the onboard video (you want to turn off the on board video).

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2609816]eric, thanks for the reply. The way I replaced the old with the new was take a wire out and replace it from the new supply. I will check again. Stupid question what is the ODD device?[/QUOTE]

Eric ,
I have always’s heard them referred to as Dvd drives. You and all the board have always been kind in helping the ignorant.The data cable on the HDD was not connected, now works like a charm. Again thanks all, still the best board for help!

Yo durkinjt-

Looks like you got it all sorted out.

You just may have gotten one of the last 500 watt PC Power and Cooling power supplies (as they now show them as ‘sold out’)