Power Callabration

vbimport

I know that this may have been asked before and before I get told to use the search, I have but didn't find what I was looking for. When Nero or any other CD writing program tells you that there is a power callabration error, is it cuz of the Writer, the software or the discs that are used. I ask this because with my Acer 1832A I get this error quite alot using both TDK and verbatim discs. Then if I use the same disc straight after this error it will burn perfectly.

I quote Mr. Belvedere’s excellent explanation:

You may encounter power calibration errors each time you use your CD-RW drive if you are using poor quality media.

Your CD-RW drive uses a power calibration process that adjusts the recording laser power to the optimum level for each recordable disc you insert into the drive. Each CD-R and CD-RW disc contains a reference value for laser power in a preformed track, which helps the CD-RW drive determine the ideal laser power. There is also a special area on each CD-R and CD-RW disc set aside for the CD-RW drive’s laser to power up to the level required to burn the disc. If the laser power calibration process fails, a power calibration error will occur.

Airhead, thanks for that. But it still leaves one part unanswered. why is it that if I use the same disk that gave me the error to work the next time, which is normally right after the error. Does it think it’s a different disk or something like that?

Originally posted by GhostBear
Airhead, thanks for that. But it still leaves one part unanswered. why is it that if I use the same disk that gave me the error to work the next time, which is normally right after the error. Does it think it’s a different disk or something like that?

Everytime you re-insert the disc it will think of it as a new disc indeed. (Same with floppy disks on floppy disk drives i guess).

It could be possible that due to the slight modification of position that the laser now recognises the disc, though it should appear on random then.

Perhaps the best explanation here is that the first time the lens doesn’t let the laser beam go through straight and after it’s been heated up (one time reading , attempting to write) it will… but that’s a long shot.

By the way , the text about the power calibration error came directly from Iomega’s website :slight_smile:

oh…you ruined it. i thought that came straight out of your head. damnit, i gotta find a new hero.

Originally posted by ckin2001
oh…you ruined it. i thought that came straight out of your head. damnit, i gotta find a new hero.

I would be a really crappy loser if i said that was all mine.

By the way … can’t you see the huge difference in the grammar ? :slight_smile:

Thanks for that Mr. Belvedere I wasn’t sure if that was what happend or not. It does kinda clear it up for me as to why it happens at least.

ckin2001

Cant say that he doesn’t reaseach to help all of us here. I’m sure that many of us look for all sorts of helpful stuff to help our many freaks here

Originally posted by GhostBear
[B]ckin2001

Cant say that he doesn’t reaseach to help all of us here. I’m sure that many of us look for all sorts of helpful stuff to help our many freaks here [/B]

grin i’m not here for trying to look “cool” or be a hero (hey … that IS cool !)

i’ve edited the original post and added that i got it from iomega’s website… but i’m pretty sure that iomega also got it from someone else.

The guys at Anandtech have really good explanations on all kinds of hardware as well. Really good value there !

And never underestimate the power of Google :slight_smile:

To my experience acers loves discs with gold back(phthalocyanine). And hates many types of media with blue back (cyanine/azo - Verbatim and older TDK discs).

Personal experience since I used acer for long time myself.

OC-Freak, Thanks for that but the last time that I used a gold disk it was coastered. I think that is was a Kodak disc but I’m not fully sure. I seem to have no trouble with the blue TDK and Verbatiums though