Power calibration error ad 7170s with nero

Hi guys,

I am new here, and i hope someone has a good advice for me.
My problem is that i can’t burn with my dvd recorder with nero.
I get "“power calibration error” hardware ad 7170s software -nero
I can brun with alcohol 120% so it’s kinda strange. The DVD player is new.
I also updated the firmware with version 1.02 (newest version)
The Nero i use is version 8

Anyone?

Perhaps wrong speed btw the chosen one isn’t supportewd very well, perhaps crappy media…
I’ve same problem with my BENQ DW1650 and +R-DL RICOHJPND01-067 at low speed (2,4 instead 8) and IMGBurn, one time with Nero 7.xx too.
WIth Optiarc AD-7303 I have no problems any more.
I don’t know alcohol, I don’t use it, but I guess alcohol, clonedvd and similar use a driver by its own which don’t calibrate.
Try another speed or another media.

I tried another disc but it still doesn’t work.
The shop told me to send it back because there might be a defect laser.

btw what do you mean by "the choosen one isn’t supported very well"
You mean the AD 7170s?

The media…

Grab some Verbatim DL and you should have zero problems.

Update,

I borrowed a sony dvd from my mother and burned it with Alcohol 120%.
It fully worked without any errors.
So:
In alcohol i can burn lifetec cd-rom’s and sony dvd’s without any problems.
NEro gives me a hard time.
I will try another sony if i can get some and burn thru nero.
BUt am i right and did i just prove that the dvd player is not defect?

They told me that the player was defect (from the helpdesk of the shop) and that only the laser who burns dvd is defect, and not the one who burns cd-rom.
COuld that be the case? I wonder because i burned one dvd (although there wasn’t any movies on it) but that shouldn’t matter should it?

Or could ther be something wrong in the nero settings? Or maybe it doesn’t work when alcohol is installed? Just some questions…

Oh no, not the drive! The Media!
my BENQ DW 1650 sucks with “Calibration area full” on try with Ricoh R-DL (D01-067) at speed 2,4. AT speed of 8 it finishes successfully, so the speed “2,4” isn’t implemented very well. My new AD-7203 doesn’t offer 24, only 4,6,and 8 are available.

Due to copy protection affords alcohol doesn’t use the standard burn-routine, it comes with a very special interface. You may try to use it with Nero but its no good idea, powercalibration improves the writing quality.
Burning discs with alcohol which sucks with Nero is a kind of Phyrrus, th quality may be awful and th media may be uinreadable in a couple of weeks or months or in some stand alones.

Okay, so youre saying i should try more expensive disks to burn it with nero? (Sorry i am from Holland (Europe so my understanding could be better)
when i read the last kapitel you wrote , i understand the less decent burning methode of alcohol but does that also mean that my dvd recorder is (could be) broke? If alcohol does burn the cd’s but the laser is not functioning (at least it could be functioning much better) optimal it very well may be the case that the dvd recorder is broken (defect) isn’t it?

Anyway, i will give it a try with better media(disks) and see if the problem still occurs. thanks for the reactions so far!

[quote=bianchifan;1990134]Oh no, not the drive! The Media!
my BENQ DW 1650 sucks with “Calibration area full” on try with Ricoh R-DL (D01-067) at speed 2,4. AT speed of 8 it finishes successfully, so the speed “2,4” isn’t implemented very well. My new AD-7203 doesn’t offer 24, only 4,6,and 8 are available.

Due to copy protection affords alcohol doesn’t use the standard burn-routine, it comes with a very special interface. You may try to use it with Nero but its no good idea, powercalibration improves the writing quality.
Burning discs with alcohol which sucks with Nero is a kind of Phyrrus, th quality may be awful and th media may be uinreadable in a couple of weeks or months or in some stand alones.[/quote]

The burning application should make no difference.
Calibration is done within the drive itself.

Dee, am I guessing correctly that f/w has no curative effect on slipshod power calibration? When there are such disabling errors, aren’t the only fixes either returning the drive if it’s still under warranty or assigning it to the trash or finding another use if it isn’t?

I’m using my 3550A as a ripper now since it’s been useless as a burner from day one. Too bad because without those player-stopping PIF spikes, it would be one of my best burners.

Yep. Firmware can play its part, as can the media. So IMO chef got it correct. Use Verbatim DL media and the problem is fixed in most cases.

But people saying that this application, or that application, burns a disc with better quality is not correct. All the application does is send some commands to the drive and a steady data stream. Providing the burning application can provide a drives buffer with steady data, it’s the drive itself that does all the calibration, alters laser power, etc etc. Not the burning application.

[quote=Dee-27;1990221]…that this application, or that application, burns a disc with better quality is not correct…
it’s the drive itself that does all the calibration…[/quote]
absolutely correct…but…
the application can use ASPI commands, it may use specific low level commands, they may react on return values or not…there are differences.

@cruisera
I never said your media is too cheap.
My Ricoh aren’t cheap. MediaRange is cheap.
I said alcohol isn’t first chose for burning discs.

@Verbatim DL
I can’t use Verbatim cause of awful printing results.
So I bought a new burner which loves Ricoh.

If you have the chance, grab a copy of the german mag c’t, in 2/2008 they tested DVD5 and DVD9 printable with various printers.
Imation, Primera and TY DVD5 were best. All DLs gave kinda bad results.

Sorry for jumpping into this thread in the middle. But I think it fits my problem very well.

I have a NEC AD-7170A which works perfectly with Sony discs and Winmedia discs. But it just won’t work with Philips discs.

I had a similar problem with Philips discs (DVD-R) more than one year ago, but with another computer. I ended up returning it to the store. Now I got a new computer, new OS, and new driver, so I thought to give it another try. Still, the same problem. I think there is a mismatch between the burners and the discs. And the problem is more likely in the media side in my view.

This time, I tried to burn it with Nero 8 at very speed, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x, 18x, 20x, and tried very size of data, 4488, 4482, 4468. None of them working. I am wondering if need to “fix” my driver or just return the disc to the store to avoid future problem if the data can’t be burned properly.

The error message is:

“Power Calibration Error / Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190A…”

Get better media! Verbatim & TY.

I have learned to live with the media acceptance problem of this dvd player.
It does work but you have to go thru a dozen brands dvd´ discs to get one that works.
I have found the Sony dvd/R discs 4.7 work fine ) Same as quizy!. Also to burn cd´s i found the Nashua to work well. So i try to stick with those media. I actually think it´s a shame to sell such a player that gets so little media support.
Anyway, i hope my post helps. The cd discs from Aldi named Lifetec only work if you burn with Alcohol 120%. They don´t do anything under Nero!

For people who are planning to buy this dvd player, go for something else.
If you already have bought it. Then this post about media may help you.

Quizi thanks for the tip to use Winmedia. I will try them if i can get my hands on them.

Cruisera, actually I was able to use my NEC AD-7170A with Playo discs, too, which is a cheap brand from Staples. Winmedia is from MicroCenter, just in case.

Now I find a burner that can use to burn those Philips discs, Pioneer DVD-RW DVD-111D. Therefore, it is not just an issue of “better media”. Should I say, Go Pioneer?

I suggest scanning the burned disc for quality using Nero cd dvd speed…

Thanks to Chef for reminding me of scanning disc quality. Now the results look like not too promissing.

This is the first time I am using the attachment function here, I am not sure if I make it clear.

The first image is for this Philips DVD-R disc, burned with Pioneer.

Then I realized that actually I have problem with Sony DVD+R disc with NEC 2510A, so I have to burn those with Pioneer as well. Therefore, the second picture is for Sony DVD+R disc, burned with Pioneer.

I got to say both are not very pretty. But I can’t be sure how bad they are. Sony discs should be considered good otherwise, right? So, is my Pioneer a problem too?

Thanks if you can help to shut more light into this.

Oh, the picture looks good on this site.

I should add that actually I can’t run this Nero CD-DVD Speed program on my Pioneer. So all pictures are generated at my NEC AD 7170.

Here is another image for Playo disc burned with NEC AD 7170.

[QUOTE=guizi;2036557]Oh, the picture looks good on this site.

[B]I should add that actually I can’t run this Nero CD-DVD Speed program on my Pioneer.[/B] So all pictures are generated at my NEC AD 7170.

Here is another image for Playo disc burned with NEC AD 7170.[/QUOTE]

Qscanning with the Pioneer would be totally unreliable.