Power Calibration Area Error

vbimport

Hi All

I tried to back up LOTR, Two Towers Disc 2, on a DL Verbatim disc. Seldom back up on DL discs, but have never had any trouble doing so until now. All the layer break selections were average, and all were listed twice, which I’d never seen before.

Running XP, SP3. Made 3 coasters with ImgBurn, all burns stalled at ~50% with the message Reason: Power Calibration Area Error . Tried it a fourth time using Nero as burn engine and it simply failed.

Can’t seem to find any useful logs - maybe I’m not looking in the right places.

I ripped the disc with ver 8.0.8.5, and tried to burn DL backup with both 8.0.8.5 and 5.2.5.0.

I was able to back it up successfully on a single layer disc with ImgBurn and ver 8.0.8.5.

Help! Only bought a 5-pack of DL discs!

Thanks, Steve

The power calibration error is generated by the writer and can be produced for a number of reasons but the most common is unrecognised or incompatible media.

You’re already using Verbatim DL media though so that’s a bit unusual but it could be that your firmware needs updated to recognise the discs.

What make/model is your writer, and what’s the current firmware version?

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks Wombler,

The writer is Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D; firmware version is 1.28. It has been working for me with no problems for several years.

Disk ID on this batch of media is MKM-003-00, same as before, if that matters.

The only thing that looks different to me is the duplicate layer break points, which I’ve never seen before… and the burn failed at that point.

Steve

Myself I would flash it to a 112L with FW 8.25

Geez

[QUOTE=artie420;2602705]Thanks Wombler,

The writer is Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D; firmware version is 1.28. It has been working for me with no problems for several years.

Disk ID on this batch of media is MKM-003-00, same as before, if that matters.

The only thing that looks different to me is the duplicate layer break points, which I’ve never seen before… and the burn failed at that point.

Steve[/QUOTE]

That drive has been around for a while now and there haven’t been any firmware updates since the end of 2008 so v1.28 is the latest official firmware.

Crossflashing the drive may add additional features but I’m not sure there’s anything more recent than that available for other brands either.

That bit about the duplicate layer breaks intrigues me though.

Is it on this screen you mean and does it look something like this?

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yes sir, that’s the screen, and every layer break is listed not once but twice.

Wow that’s bizarre, something’s definitely not right there.

I’ve never seen that problem mentioned anywhere before and the only thing I can think of is that it’s possibly caused by remnants of structural protection so you might have a bad rip.

Try changing your PathPlayer settings and see if that makes a difference.

Also you could try ripping the disc with the earlier version of DVDFab and see what happens.

I’ve a more complicated method of trying to fix the files but let’s stick to the simple stuff first.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks Wombler! It might take me a few days, but I’ll try the re-rip and post the results.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2602819]Wow that’s bizarre, something’s definitely not right there.

I’ve never seen that problem mentioned anywhere before and the only thing I can think of is that it’s possibly caused by remnants of structural protection so you might have a bad rip.[/QUOTE]
Common on DVDs with TV series on them.

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2602837]Common on DVDs with TV series on them.[/QUOTE]
Thanks G, but unlike your screen print, all the values for each pair of layer break positions are [B]identical,[/B] except for the PGCs.

Nothing to worry about that they are twice. Just two PGCs for the same video.

Pick on that is 50/50 and the “first one that is identical of the two ones” and select one of them that have a not so disturbing switch when the player switches the read of the layers (= not in the middle of some important action) - use the preview option to see where the switching is.

If you player supports the seamless option (most recent ones does that), you will not notice the layerbreak when it’s in the middle of video (as in the case above) when you play the burned disc.

Hi artie420

Do you by chance have another burner to use/try ?

also have you tried using the default burn engine(VSO) provided by DVDFab’s installer ? and did you try using “Clone” mode ?

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2602844]Nothing to worry about that they are twice. Just two PGCs for the same video.
[/QUOTE]

That’s interesting to know. I haven’t seen that mentioned anywhere before.

Have you any idea why the burn is failing at the layer break though?

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2602851]Hi artie420

Do you by chance have another burner to use/try ?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah that drive has been around for some time and it could be that the writer is on the way out.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2602858]Yeah that drive has been around for some time and it could be that the writer is on the way out.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah the life expectancy of a burner/drive can very between brands, especially if you don’t do regular maintenance.

Thanks guys. I ripped The Two Towers, Disc 1, with ver 5.2.5.0 this time and got the same result - dupe layer break positions. Maybe I need to reboot? If the burner was failing, why would sl backups be just fine?

Steve

But then there’s this for Close Encounters, newly ripped…

[QUOTE=artie420;2602915]Thanks guys. I ripped The Two Towers, Disc 1, with ver 5.2.5.0 this time and got the same result - dupe layer break positions. Maybe I need to reboot? [B]If the burner was failing, why would sl backups be just fine?[/B]
Steve[/QUOTE]

Hi Steve

With DVD-5(Single layer) there are no layer break to deal with so the drive doesn’t need to do any readjustments/refocusing, I’m not saying the drive/burner is bad or going belly-up however they don’t last ever and some seem to go bad faster then others.

It is not uncommon for drives/burners to lose functionality for either CDs or DVDs while it still works fine on the other due to having different lasers for each media type, again do you have another drive/burner you can try ? even a external one would be fine just to try.

I see you posted again while I was typing :slight_smile:

Have you tried cleaning the LOTR disc ? there could be something wrong with it right at the layer break which could cause a bad rip :confused: