Post your top 10 windows XP annoyances

I wasn’t persuaded of the need to get XP when it originally came out, and I’ve kept krappy old win98SE on all my systems except on my new laptop, which came with XP Home. I have built 2 systems for friends with XP as the OS.
This has enabled me to look at XP but perhaps in not much depth, and I would be interested in hearing CDFreaks’ observations in addition to mine, now that this is a “mature” OS which most of us have used.

Naturally, there are many sites which discuss this topic and probably many comments already on this forum, but I hope it will still be worthwhile to have a new discussion too.

Since I don’t see many (any?) things good about XP, I’ll just list my top 10 most detested things in no particular order.

I’m assuming that such things as the stupid price, the total lack of security + ridiculous amount of patching required, the obtrusiveness of windoze media player and msn messenger, and the pure irritation of “activation” go without saying.

– Hardware labelled as ‘plug and play’ is often no such thing, maybe not even recognised by the system. Maybe this is the fault of the manufacturers but it equates to an OS issue in my opinion.
– On a new install, XP asks you if you want to do product activation now or “remind me every few days”. Well, select that, and it only reminds you every few MINUTES.
– Windows explorer opens in the user’s My Documents (or My Computer depending on your version of XP) every time and the way to change this is far from obvious. (Win 98 explorer by default opens with an expanded C:\ tree which seems pretty logical to me as that is more likely to serve your needs the majority of the time. )
– Boot menu. When there is a problem you can no longer do “step by step startup”. When you have a serious problem, you can boot into a pseudo DOS environment called “repair console” or something. It responds to some traditional DOS commands but by no means all, and a lot of the /switches are absent making it all but nonfunctional. “Safe mode” is much less stripped down than win9x safe mode, and therefore, err, less safe.
– When you plug in a USB flash drive or insert a CD (etc) windoze tries to analyse what data is on the disc and run an appropriate program. Despite telling it many times “take no goddam action – ever” it will keep on popping up, for ever.
– You get bullsh about “driver signing” every time you try to install one of the 98% of the drivers in the world that are not signed. Oh, and if you want to install your own driver from a specific location, it still starts by looking for A:\ as default – how many drivers come on floppy nowadays?
– If you want to set XP up as anything other than USA you have to tell it your country in no less than four different ways. (Regional and Language options -> includes “standards” and “location” / Time Zone / Default input language)
– Desktop cleanup wizard. Why oh why?
– Two different types of DUN exist side by side, which appear in different ways and are buggy.
– The default for windows Find is to bring up some fecking irritating animated dog that somehow has escaped from MSOffice into a wider world (rather like Agent Smith – soon all windows icons will be taken over and become “helpful” cartoon animals). You can change the default for search to “advanced” which actually means ‘easier’ and ‘quicker’ – i.e. it is just like the good old win98 search function.

In my opinion it is actually the irritating details like these that put you off an OS, just as much as the massive and glaring holes.

I don’t have 10 yet but I will come back and edit as I think of more. I actually like the O/S though, But hey I like Win Me over Win 98.

1 - When you install new a new program the message telling you that you have installed a new program (Like I didn’t know, I installed it for god sake) covers the Log Off button.
2 - Trying to get rid of Windows Messenger so that I can install MSN Messenger.
3 - The inability to play DVDs without a download. And then when it can, it plays them very badly in my opinion.
4 - Windows Media Player. (Well it comes with the O/S). I really don’t think I need to explain why this is here.
5 - The help system. If you use it and get to the end of the process without it solving your problem then it displays the helpful message. “This troubleshooter is unable to solve your problem”. Hmmmm, Helpful.
6 - Advanced Power Management features not enabled by default.
7 - The bulit in UnZip function.
8 - The inabilaty to “position” things in folder like the desktop.
9 - No download manager.
10 - MSN Explorer. Whats the point?

– When I power-on my old Agfa StudioScanIIsi -scsi-scanner, XP finds new hardware for exactly 8 times (popup “new hardeware detected” -> “drivers installation” -> “can’t find driver” -> “search the internet for drivers”)… 8 times in a row…
Even with the official Agfa drivers, (that support WinXP). Next time I want to use the scanner,those popups come back and 8 unknown devices are listed in “scanning/digital images devices”.

– In “installed software” there are more inputs from “hotfixes” than regular programs. hint for MS: service pack that covers those?

– The memory manager (if any) is rather generous with my system memory and I have no idea for what.

– With harddisks that are loaded with captured videoclips (huge), the display of “preview” images takes almost as long as the basic search-function. I’m sure I can disable it, but I don’t wanna fire up the help-function.

Originally posted by Womble
[B]I don’t have 10 yet but I will come back and edit as I think of more. I actually like the O/S though, But hey I like Win Me over Win 98.

1 - When you install new a new program the message telling you that you have installed a new program (Like I didn’t know, I installed it for god sake) covers the Log Off button.
2 - Trying to get rid of Windows Messenger so that I can install MSN Messenger. [/B]

hi womble , i dont like the shit message which tells you have installed a new program after installing it . does anyone here knows how to disable it??

womble, you can easily remove Windows Messenger by modifying some file which i dont remember . If you want to know more, just tell me.

  1. pop-over systray bubbles
  2. bugs
  3. internet explorer/windows messenger are not easily removed (add/remove programs)
  4. windows media player (deserves its own, rather than #3)
  5. automatic updates that are not tested properly
  6. its the standard
  7. it cannot recognize ext partitions
  8. messenger service
  9. menus
  10. i just dont like windows :stuck_out_tongue:

A lot of good point have already been made.
While I’m not sure I have ten - once I get on a microsoft rant I have to be tied down and gagged:bigsmile: I despise microsofts politics - but am reduced to using it in order to use some of my fav. software.

But here goes

  1. It’s overall ‘invasiveness’ - it’s geared to ‘call home’ under almost any pathetic excuse - had to set my firewall to ‘fort knox’ mode just to keep microsofts nose out of my business (though my business isn’t worth knowing about - it’s the principle of the matter.

  2. The built in firewall is useless - mine kept clicking off without my knowing it (not that I’d recommend it for use anyway).

  3. Messenger - another invasive piece of shite!! It’s tied to Outlook Express - so when you open Outlook the messenger opened. I hated Messenger so that I went to the Messenger file folder and deleted all the files (moved to disk - should I ever find I need it I’ll just cut and paste back in).

  4. The ‘lowest common denomenator’ approach to default settings - which basically opens up everything to the ‘wide world’ and makes people most vulnerable to viruses and trojans at just the time they know the least about it and how to secure it properly. For that alone Bill Gates should be#@$%&. It’s probably been one of the major contributors to the spread of viruses etc.

Best I can do - but cover my basic gripes

Summary: Under the guise of ‘ease of use’ and ‘helpful’ little added functions it’s basically designed to be invasive and insecure - for the benefit of microsoft.

That said - with a good antivirus, firewall, spybot, regcleaner, and emptemp - plus ‘fort knox’ configuration - as decent as anything produced my microsoft in my opinion.
For ‘secure internet browsing’ - it’s Linux all the way.

Gadfly

Originally posted by DryBaboon

the stupid price, the total lack of security + ridiculous amount of patching required, the obtrusiveness of windoze media player and msn messenger, and the pure irritation of “activation” go without saying.

You pretty much summed it up there. As annoying as patching is, it’s bearable on broadband… but if you’re on 56k (like me), it’s a nightmare and may not even be possible.

I also like [sarcasm] how sometimes, you just can’t undo a “read-only” attribute. Like messenger (and a lot of other things), it just doesn’t want to die.

I also like how something small can render it unbootable – meaning you can’t even get into safe mode… and have to go through a miserable process to get your OS back up. :a

The recovery console is the worst excuse for dos ive ever seen. I had to use it once to try to overwrite a file with a backup because i had screwed up the kernel with custom boot screens. Anyway, it asked me for the password for administrator on my computer. Since i am the only one who uses it, i figured it was my screen name password. Wrong.

The password was just hitting enter. (how secure is that)

Anyway, after waiting something like 10 years for recovery to boot up, i find that i cant copy a file from different folders in a drive. For example. My backup was on D:\Backup\Xpkernel
toskrnl.exe and it wouldnt let me copy it over to C:\windows\system32 because i didnt have permission. Bullshit! I am the administrator and its telling me i had not the permission.

Luckily i had linux on my system also, i was able to use linux to copy from D:\Backup\Xpkernel\ to D:\

Then i could finally go back and wait another 10 years for recovery to boot, and then copy from the root of the drive into my system32 folder.

//gives middle finger to microsoft:a

Originally posted by kwkard
The password was just hitting enter. (how secure is that)

You didn’t assign an Adminstrator password :stuck_out_tongue:

  1. Error Reports
  2. Desktop Cleanup Wizard
  3. Free Space Warnings
  4. Windows/MSN Messenger
  5. Built-In Firewall
  6. Damn Popup Bubbles
  7. Recovery Console (what happened to plain old DOS??)
  8. Search Function (Office 2000 all over again…)
  9. “Remind me to activate Windows every few days”…10 minutes later
  10. soon to come…

Needless to day, I have 1-6 disabled, 7 I never use, 8 is set to Advanced Settings, 9 is activated, and 10 is _____________.

Oh i remembered one that bugs me everys single day. And its not just xp, its all the windows os’s. Why will internet explorer not automatically maximize when i launch it?!!:a

Why is that soooooo damn hard for Microsoft to understand that 99% of the time i like my window maximized?

And yes i do relaize there are alternatives (mozilla, opera) but i am used to the ie interface and i dont want to have to adjust to a new one.

Do the alternatives also have anti-maximizing features, or is this just ie?

Originally posted by kwkard
Why will internet explorer not automatically maximize when i launch it?!!:a

My 10th top Windows annoyance!!! Thanks kwkard! :smiley:

Originally posted by ckin2001
1. pop-over systray bubbles
2. bugs
3. internet explorer/windows messenger are not easily removed (add/remove programs)
4. windows media player (deserves its own, rather than #3)
5. automatic updates that are not tested properly
6. its the standard
7. it cannot recognize ext partitions
8. messenger service
9. menus
10. i just dont like windows :stuck_out_tongue:

Is 7 true? Very worrying!

Originally posted by kwkard
[B]Oh i remembered one that bugs me everys single day. And its not just xp, its all the windows os’s. Why will internet explorer not automatically maximize when i launch it?!!:a

Why is that soooooo damn hard for Microsoft to understand that 99% of the time i like my window maximized?

And yes i do relaize there are alternatives (mozilla, opera) but i am used to the ie interface and i dont want to have to adjust to a new one.

Do the alternatives also have anti-maximizing features, or is this just ie? [/B]

This happens alot - but it may be fixable. With the smaller window of IE or anything you want to come up maximised next time, go to the top lh corner, left click, click on size, then drag the bottom rhc to the opposite corner of the screen - you need to position the window beforehand and play around - but this normally works - and yes, a bloody royal pain in the rear.

XP itself is a annoyance

The product activation
Auto display of thumbnails, and not be able to delete the thumbs.db when the folder is empty,
the low disk space warning
those annoying icons that pop up when you want to search for something- dog, wizard(wasting memory resources, almost bad as bonzai buddy)
the warning message when you open the windows folder
the report xp wants to send MS about a crash
the read only file that can’t be deleted for something with out a re-boot involved. (delete a folder and windows says it cant becasue the file or folder is in use when it isnt)
When you open a folder in explorer and there are the damn dimesnions for pictures and crap that I dont want or care about seeing, thus slowing down the screen refresh

7 is entirely true. and i cant write back to ntfs partitions from linux, as all the ntfs projects have ‘highly experimental’ write - if you desire to risk a partition.

You all just confirmed my choice of not “upgrading?” Think i’ll stick with 2000

to remove windows messenger

go to start / run
type

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and hit enter
and re boot

Quite frankly I’m appalled to see the level of utter ignorance on display in this thread. All of these Oh_No_How_bothersome! stupid annoyances can be remedied in less than 1 minute each. The Recovery Console is super powerful, of course, one needs to have a basic idea of which commands to use.

Regedit will allow anyone with a bit of knowledge to alter the look and functinality of every little aspect of XP, and finally, and this must be shoclking for some, if you go to Run and type gpedit.msc something will open that will allow users to configure and take absolute control of the behavior and look of their systems.

DOS was always a POS, and good riddance after all these years of tolerating its utter idiocy and limitations that, because it was the actual OS and Windows was just s shell for DOS, expended onto all flavours of 9x until that putrid hybrid called ME was launched to the detriment of saner minds.

I use XP Pro, BSD, and Slackware, and quite honestly all OSs have their own pathetic idiosyncrasies, but XP Pro is the most malleable and flexible of the whole bunch.

PEBKAC.

Originally posted by mercury
[B]Quite frankly I’m appalled to see the level of utter ignorance on display in this thread. All of these Oh_No_How_bothersome! stupid annoyances can be remedied in less than 1 minute each. The Recovery Console is super powerful, of course, one needs to have a basic idea of which commands to use.

Regedit will allow anyone with a bit of knowledge to alter the look and functinality of every little aspect of XP, and finally, and this must be shoclking for some, if you go to Run and type gpedit.msc something will open that will allow users to configure and take absolute control of the behavior and look of their systems.

DOS was always a POS, and good riddance after all these years of tolerating its utter idiocy and limitations that, because it was the actual OS and Windows was just s shell for DOS, expended onto all flavours of 9x until that putrid hybrid called ME was launched to the detriment of saner minds.

I use XP Pro, BSD, and Slackware, and quite honestly all OSs have their own pathetic idiosyncrasies, but XP Pro is the most malleable and flexible of the whole bunch.

PEBKAC. [/B]

And I’m apalled you take this thread so personal. Fixing the idiosincracies might only take a minute but most people are not that into spending time researching the solutions. Maybe your thread might be more helpful if you pointed out where people with xp could find the fixes to these problems. I think you will find a bunch of highly intelligent people here that are poking fun at a os that is just windows 2000 with a new look and alot of annoyances and would rather spend time burning etc. This is cdfreaks not an XP OS forum.

Bad Things

1 : Balloon help popups
2 : No good (like 4Dos) command prompt
3 : WHQL/signed driver annoyances , who cares if a drive is not WHQL or signed by Mickeysoft ?
4 : Startup time
5 : Crappy system recovery tool
6 : Extremely unfriendly built-in unzip system
7 : resource-hungry browser (both IE and Explorer)
8 : No PowerToys standard
9 : Way too much updates , patches , fixes and service packs
10 : Active Desktop ? Who freaking needs Active Desktop ?

Good things

1 : EFS
2 : IPSec
3 : Secpol.msc
4 : Knows a lot of printers by default
5 : NTLMv2
6 : More use of Windows-keys (Windows-D , L , U , E , etc)
7 : Synchronizing time and date (although it’s a poor feature)
8 : Semi-Multi-User
9 : USB 2 (after lots of updates)
10 : Windows XP setup cd-rom actually has some recovery options