Post-virus problem with CD/DVD not working (Danny Savage)

vbimport

I had to shred my operating system due to ZeroAccess trojan. Windows 7 will not load due to missing CD/dvd driver. Drive is NEC ND-6100A. It will not recognize generic cdrom.inf file to load. I cannot find driver for the drive that will work with win7 x64. Please help, I have stopped myself from reaching for the hammer twice.

After a serious infection, as this rootkit is, you should wipe the operating sytem and reinstall.

Even after an rootkit infection, you should still be able to boot into the operating system disc to reinstall, since booting up occurs outside of the Windows environment. This assumes you have such a disc. If you have an OEM made machine and have a restore partition, you need to reinstall Win 7 from that.

The drivers for optical disc drives are contained within the operating system itself. You won’t find them elsewhere. At least, not to my knowledge.

If you need to salvage data from the hard drive before formatting and reinstalling the operating system, you could use a live Linux cd for this. It should boot up and run in memory without being installed, and allow you access to the files on the hard drive. Transfer files to usb drives, or optical discs this way.

I saved my documents, music, videos, drivers and downloads. but the driver for this dvd drive I cannot find. I have never had this much trouble loading an operating system on a machine before. Usually it recognizes a blank drive and goes from there.

[QUOTE=DanSavage;2639836]I had to shred my operating system due to ZeroAccess trojan. Windows 7 will not load due to missing CD/dvd driver. Drive is NEC ND-6100A. It will not recognize generic cdrom.inf file to load. I cannot find driver for the drive that will work with win7 x64. Please help, I have stopped myself from reaching for the hammer twice.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn’t on most major brand drive not need drivers. I think your asking for something else like software based drivers that windows doesn’t need or use since windows loads it’s own. The only thing would be a drive has gone bad thus not finding or detecting the drive would bring up something like missing cd/dvd driver. I would say hook that drive up to another computer and see what it if it detects that drive. That sounds more like a hardware problem then a Windows problem.

This is the first time win 7 has ever asked me for a cd/dvd driver and I have been installing this system for over a year now. I have no trouble getting it to read the disk up to that point. Clean the drive maybe? Reflash ? make another copy of system disk?

Test the drive with another bootable disc. The Ultimate Boot cd is an example, if you have another computer available to burn it.

If it works, make another copy of your operating system disc and try again.

As I said before, booting up into an installation disc occurs outside of Windows, so you cannot install cd/dvd drivers to help this process.

Will give it a try, be back soon.

If needed, you can download and burn a new Win7 SP1 install disc on another machine from here. It does sound like you may have a failing drive though. If you get it working and haven’t upgraded the drive yet, you can find a link to the firmware to upgrade the NEC to burn DVD-Rhere. Have you checked the bios to see what mode your IDE is running in?

And hopefully this post is all for naught and you come back with the problem solved :o:).

Welcome to the forum :flower:

I keep an iso copy of my original DVD on a backup drive, so I can burn as many as I need when the children use them as technicians frisbies.

Sound like alaptop, and with that you should have got an OS installation or rescue disc, thats all you need.

Like said before, the driver comes with THE OS!

BTW, the optical drive cannot boot when you havent set it as bootdevice #1!

I have no trouble with it booting. When win 7 loads to install it goes through the loading of files, the splash screens, asks for language and region then says setup is starting. But before the installation can take place the dialog box says the CD/DVD driver is missing. It gives the option to rescan or browse for the driver or to insert a driver disk. Alas I have no driver for the ancient ND-6100a dvd drive in this machine. NEC doesn’t support it anymore.:a

The driver should be loaded into memory as part of the installation. It is contained within the operating system install disc.

Download a new ISO of Win7, either the 32 bit or 64, whichever one you use. You can find them at Digital River: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/
Burn to a disc and install using your own product key.

Just to clarify, you mentioned earlier that you have done this install before successfully. Did you mean on this machine, or with this installation media?
Don’t know what chipset you are working with, but I’ve seen issues when the IDE mode is running in “compatibility” versus “native” mode. May or may not apply to your machine. What chipset and processor are in this machine? Or Model # of your machine?

^Yes, I’ve seen this recently too. One of my Samsung drives is not compatible with the Jmicron controller on my motherboard. But it won’t boot at all in IDE mode on this SATA controller.

@DanSavage
Are you sure the boot order in the bios is set to boot from the optical drive first? Maybe the installation process is getting lost because the hdd is set as first boot device.

That’s what I meant. :wink:

Drivers for CD/DVD drives do not in any way affect basic reading of the disc

if they did it would be impossible to install an operating system from ROM-disc on any computer.

Drivers can make a disc read faster and really affect burning, but for OS installation… no.

So either the drive is screwed or the disc is.

What happened was that the disk needed to be replaced. i cleaned the drive, made another copy of win 7 and from then no problems. That was the first time the installation came up wanting a driver. I remember on 98 and sometimes on XP a cd driver had to go in before the operating system. With older machines it is necessary.

[QUOTE=DanSavage;2640017]What happened was that the disk needed to be replaced. i cleaned the drive, made another copy of win 7 and from then no problems. That was the first time the installation came up wanting a driver. I remember on 98 and sometimes on XP a cd driver had to go in before the operating system. With older machines it is necessary.[/QUOTE] This is a slimline that came exclusively with Dell laptops, maybe you could contact Dell and ask for the drivers.

This drive is a slimline that is in the Optiplex GX620 Ultra small form factor desktop machine. I keep the machine because it fits under my monitor and doesn’t take up space. Video output is DVI and displayport. I have a 500G byte Western digital drive, 4G byte onboard DDR2-667. all supporting a Pentium 4 HT running at 3GHZ. It does what I need it to (provide challenges and frustrations). But it is running again.

[QUOTE=DanSavage;2640017] That was the first time the installation came up wanting a driver. I remember on 98 and sometimes on XP a cd driver had to go in before the operating system. With older machines it is necessary.[/QUOTE]On Windows flavours before W95. Don’t mix this up with drivers for the storage controller a drive is connected to.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2640045]This is a slimline that came exclusively with Dell laptops, maybe you could contact Dell and ask for the drivers.[/QUOTE]Why should Dell invest additional money for a non-standard optical drive? No. Dell drives are normal drives, with custom firmware (less features to cut cost) and drive name.

Michael