POST screen hangs at startup

vbimport

Hi,
Just got a problem with my computer. Suddenly, startup has become very slow. Better say that the POST screen hangs. It takes a good 20 seconds for the actual booting to start. But once it is on, there are no problems at all. It is then quite fast.
The problem began to occur when I uninstalled a trial version of Perfect Disk 12. Almost simultaneously I installed a new 1TB internal HDD. I then disconnected this drive, but the problem persisted, so I think the new drive couldn’t be the cause. About Perfect Disk, I don’t know. I took a look inside the registry, and found that boot time defragmentation is still enabled. It is a dual boot system with XP and Windows 7, and the problem is there either way you start up.The problem is actually before the computer boots, not afterwards.
There is one thing I noted. I f I start the computer for the first time (after a break of a couple of hours minimum), it starts up real fast. The problem is not there then. But if I turn it off and then turn on again within the next half hour or so, it starts to crawl.
Any ideas what is causing it? Thanks.

Several things come to mind. First, how old is this machine and have you tried replacing the power supply? I would also suspect the primary hard drive having a problem spinning up during the iniital part of the BOOT process. It could also be a failure of the CMOS/motherboard.
If you have replaced the primary drive and have only a new one running, then it is likely that the power supply should be swapped out. I do agree that a dual-boot system is not the issue. As to the registry-XP and Windows 76 are easy to edit-IF YOU ARE VERY CAREFUL! I also tend to think that this should not be an issue as to the defrag.

Hope these thoughts point you in the right direction.

We need more information on your computer, Make and Model Number. The POST screen or Bios can be changed, for faster Start up. How old is your computer, and does it hold the correct date when the Power Strip is turned off? :cool:

It is a little more than three years old. The two OS are on two separate Hard Drives. One of them is relatively new.
There are no problems with date and time.
The computer is custom built. Motherboard is D945GCNL. But you see, there are NO problems once it boots into either OS. Again, it began to behave like this after I removed Perfect Disk. At that very instant.

Try defraging both hard drives with the built-in Microsoft defragers and see if it helps.

Is your alignment correct?

Sure, i ran disk defrag on both drives. It didn’t help.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2601860]Is your alignment correct?[/QUOTE]
I am afraid I don’t understand…

Yo-

What program did you use to uninstall Perfect Disc 12?

The usual Add/Remove from Control Panel.

If I read correctly-you said that this problem happens with both drives. That is you can connect either of them separately and it hangs. Check the registry for both OS’s to make sure Perfect Disk left nothing behind to be sure about that.
It is very important how you diagnose this problem. Disconnect 1 of the drives completely. Also disconnect your DVD drive.
Try booting up with only 1 hard drive and see what happens. If this fails with either drive, then there is a strong likelihood that your motherboard controllers are bad.
If the machine boots properly having done the above you will be able to isolate which drive and OS is defective.

[QUOTE=jc836;2601882]If I read correctly-you said that this problem happens with both drives. That is you can connect either of them separately and it hangs. Check the registry for both OS’s to make sure Perfect Disk left nothing behind to be sure about that.
It is very important how you diagnose this problem. Disconnect 1 of the drives completely. Also disconnect your DVD drive.
Try booting up with only 1 hard drive and see what happens. If this fails with either drive, then there is a strong likelihood that your motherboard controllers are bad.
If the machine boots properly having done the above you will be able to isolate which drive and OS is defective.[/QUOTE]

I will try this and post back later.

I did as instructed, and found out something:
I disconnected all the drives, including the DVD drive, and started up with only the drive where XP was. It booted real fast. Then I connected the other drive where Windows 7 was. Still no problems. Then I added the other drives one by one, and when all where connected, it began to slow down. Apparently, the problem occurred when I added a new 1TB HDD. At the same time I removed Perfect Disk, so I mistook it to be the problem.
So what do you think? An inefficient PSU? It is only 400W, and there is the motherboard, RAM, three SATA drives and a CD drive.Nothing else.
Right now the CD drive is disconnected to accommodate the 1TB drive.

[QUOTE=Ayiramala;2602133]…So what do you think? An inefficient PSU? It is only 400W, and there is the motherboard, RAM, three SATA drives and a CD drive.Nothing else.
Right now the CD drive is disconnected to accommodate the 1TB drive.[/QUOTE]

Yo Ayiramala-

No video card?

If in fact there is no video card - then 400w should be barely sufficient - if you have a quality power supply. If not - get one of these: http://www.directron.com/ppcs500b.html - it will be $30 well spent-eh!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2602136]Yo Ayiramala-

No video card?

If in fact there is no video card - then 400w should be barely sufficient - if you have a quality power supply. If not - get one of these: http://www.directron.com/ppcs500b.html - it will be $30 well spent-eh![/QUOTE]
No, no video card. The particular model mentioned is unavailable in my country. But I will upgrade to a better one.
Thanks to everyone for helping.