Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here (Blu-ray, HD-DVD drives only)

vbimport

[QUOTE=evo173;2476054]Hello,

I upgraded my WH08LS20 to version 2.00, and now when I wake my PC up from sleep mode (windows 7), the LED of the WH08LS20 continuously flashes and hangs the PC. If I power down the PC and power it back up, it’s fine. I flashed back to version 1.00 and it works fine when I wake the PC up from sleep mode. I think there may be an issue with firmware version 2.00 and waking up from sleep mode…or maybe just an issue with my mobo which is an ASUS M3A78-EM…who knows? The thing is, it’s fine with version 1.00, but not 2.00, so I tend to lean towards the new firmware as the culprit. I had sent LG an email on it. See if they respond…somehow doubt it.[/QUOTE]

If that proves to be the case, it would be rather ironic given that fw2.00 was released in order to make the drive more ‘compatible’ with Windows 7 in the first place :doh:

[QUOTE=cvs;2475260]It does now! :wink:
LG AU just released two new Blu-Ray firmwares (v2.00) for [B]WH08LS20[/B] and [B]UH08LS10[/B] :slight_smile:

http://au.lgservice.com/
.[/QUOTE]+

I don’t see it posted anywhere on that link you provided… how did you find it??

[QUOTE=cvs;2476055]If that proves to be the case, it would be rather ironic given that fw2.00 was released in order to make the drive more ‘compatible’ with Windows 7 in the first place :doh:[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. I flashed it back to 2.00, and once again, the damn thing just blinks and locks up my computer after I bring it out of sleep mode. Now, I’m back to 1.00, and it works as it should. I mean I could have a lemon and that it could be my particular drive…but that would seem odd that a newer firmware would break it, and only my drive is affected and not other WH08LS20s. That’s why I’m sticking with my guns that it’s the 2.00 firmware. For now, I’ll stick with 1.00 until they release a new version…hopefully in the coming months. I use sleep mode quite a bit.

[QUOTE=MBK;2476098]+

I don’t see it posted anywhere on that link you provided… how did you find it??[/QUOTE]
Click “Device Driver” in the Quick Links in the middle, then “DVD-ROM(Writer)”.

PIONEER BDR-S05J
FW: 1.04(no kernel part included)
Release date: 2009-12-25

(translated changes)

• Added addition support for BD-R media
  • Improvement of record quality on BD-R/RE media
  • The problem when the backup is operated CD-R/RW
    (For a part of application) is corrected.

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/device/file/BDR-S05J_FW104EUJ.EXE

no BDR-205?

I also noticed here:
http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/device/dvr_a09.html
that there is a 1.11 firmware update (dated 16 nov 2009 ?) for the Pioneer BDR-S03J

And I could not find this update for the BDR-203 on their website in english:
http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html#firmware1

Note: the Pioneer BDR-203 was still sold in Europe (not the BDR-205 anymore)

[QUOTE=2601;2478936]PIONEER BDR-S05J
FW: 1.04(no kernel part included)
Release date: 2009-12-25

(translated changes)

• Added addition support for BD-R media
  • Improvement of record quality on BD-R/RE media
  • The problem when the backup is operated CD-R/RW
    (For a part of application) is corrected.

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/device/file/BDR-S05J_FW104EUJ.EXE[/QUOTE]

Hi, I’m new to the forum (although I’ve been reading it for a while) I guess that PIONEER BDR-S05J is the same as BDR-205, just different model number for Japan and USA, am I right? (BTW, my bdr-205 is on its way from the USA :slight_smile: )

[QUOTE=slx69;2480402]Hi, I’m new to the forum (although I’ve been reading it for a while) I guess that PIONEER BDR-S05J is the same as BDR-205, just different model number for Japan and USA, am I right? (BTW, my bdr-205 is on its way from the USA :slight_smile: )[/QUOTE]
Well you can unpack 1.04 firmware exe with winrar and here is what’s inside fw file (rigth at the beginning):
******** Copyright© 2000 Pioneer Corporation ********
This is microcode file.
ID : PIONEER BD-RW BDR-205
Revision Level : 1.04
Hardware Version : SAT 1014
Kernel Version : ID43
Destination : ID43
File Type : Normal
Generated Date : 09/12/02
Kernel Version2 : 0000

So i guess it’s possible to flash BDR-205

7zip is my favorite un/packer.

[QUOTE=sailor80;2482512]Well you can unpack 1.04 firmware exe with winrar and here is what’s inside fw file (rigth at the beginning):
******** Copyright© 2000 Pioneer Corporation ********
This is microcode file.
ID : PIONEER BD-RW BDR-205
Revision Level : 1.04
Hardware Version : SAT 1014
Kernel Version : ID43
Destination : ID43
File Type : Normal
Generated Date : 09/12/02
Kernel Version2 : 0000

So i guess it’s possible to flash BDR-205[/QUOTE]

its not possible, BDR-S05J shows up in windows as BDR-205 but just like in every past pioneer drive you can’t crossflash from premium line (A, S) to OEM line (1xx, 2xx) unless you have kernel file, then you can

there is on update for 205 yet, very bad practice from pioneer to update their expensive drive, but keep the people with OEM versions in the dark.

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;2482608]its not possible, BDR-S05J shows up in windows as BDR-205 but just like in every past pioneer drive you can’t crossflash from premium line (A, S) to OEM line (1xx, 2xx) unless you have kernel file,[/QUOTE]
ok, but I have BDR-S05XLB, what do you think - is it possilble for me to flash with this FW?

[QUOTE=sailor80;2482614]ok, but I have BDR-S05XLB, what do you think - is it possilble for me to flash with this FW?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can.

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;2482608]its not possible, BDR-S05J shows up in windows as BDR-205 but just like in every past pioneer drive you can’t crossflash from premium line (A, S) to OEM line (1xx, 2xx) unless you have kernel file, then you can

there is on update for 205 yet, very bad practice from pioneer to update their expensive drive, but keep the people with OEM versions in the dark.[/QUOTE]

Ya, would be nice if Pioneer would release 1.04 for us OEM owners…
That or someone can get the kernel so we can crossflash. That’s generally what I’ve done with all my Pioneer writers in the past, just crossflashed.

[QUOTE=evo173;2476054]Hello,

I upgraded my WH08LS20 to version 2.00, and now when I wake my PC up from sleep mode (windows 7), the LED of the WH08LS20 continuously flashes and hangs the PC. If I power down the PC and power it back up, it’s fine. I flashed back to version 1.00 and it works fine when I wake the PC up from sleep mode. I think there may be an issue with firmware version 2.00 and waking up from sleep mode…or maybe just an issue with my mobo which is an ASUS M3A78-EM…who knows? The thing is, it’s fine with version 1.00, but not 2.00, so I tend to lean towards the new firmware as the culprit. I had sent LG an email on it. See if they respond…somehow doubt it.[/QUOTE]

FYI,

I got the WH08LS20 drive and it came with firmware 2.00 already on it. I’ve put my system into sleep before (no disc in the drive) and had no problem having the system wake up from sleep mode.

I’m running an Asus P6T, with I7-920, Asus Radeon 4870, 6GB memory, 3x 750GB WD Caviar Black drives. My other drive is an Optaric 7240S.

On another note, is it possible to modify the FW so that the WH08 drive is region free RPC1 or Auto like the firmware’s that Liggy and Dee have provided for theOptaric Drives?

Is it possible to flash a Plextor PX-B940SA (rebadged Pioneer BDR-205) with official Pioneer f/w? Also, how to dump f/w from a PX-B940SA and how to find out what media it supports?

[QUOTE=Bane;2486432]FYI,

I got the WH08LS20 drive and it came with firmware 2.00 already on it. I’ve put my system into sleep before (no disc in the drive) and had no problem having the system wake up from sleep mode.

I’m running an Asus P6T, with I7-920, Asus Radeon 4870, 6GB memory, 3x 750GB WD Caviar Black drives. My other drive is an Optaric 7240S.

On another note, is it possible to modify the FW so that the WH08 drive is region free RPC1 or Auto like the firmware’s that Liggy and Dee have provided for theOptaric Drives?[/QUOTE]

Well then you’re lucky…I guess version 2.00 may not be that compatible with my motherboard. I tried 2.00 again, but this time, I formatted my hard drive and reloaded my Windows 7 with the drive already at version 2.00…still did the same thing…the stupid thing just flashes and hangs the PC. Flashed it back to 1.00…works great coming out of sleep mode. But whatever…that’s OK…I just got a Pioneer BDR-205 and it works great. Should of just bought the Pioneer from the get go. But hindsight is 20-20. Giving the LG to my brother.

[QUOTE=Bane;2486432]FYI,

On another note, is it possible to modify the FW so that the WH08 drive is region free RPC1 or Auto like the firmware’s that Liggy and Dee have provided for theOptaric Drives?[/QUOTE]

Oooops…forgot to answer your question. Yes you can modify the FW. Go to http://au.lgservice.com to download 2.00 for the WH08 and then use MediaCodeSpeedEdit to make your drive RPC2 Auto Reset. But of course, as you probably already know, using a modified FW voids your warranty.

[QUOTE=evo173;2486518]Oooops…forgot to answer your question. Yes you can modify the FW. Go to http://au.lgservice.com to download 2.00 for the WH08 and then use MediaCodeSpeedEdit to make your drive RPC2 Auto Reset. But of course, as you probably already know, using a modified FW voids your warranty.[/QUOTE]

Hmm…using nero drive info, it says that my drive is already RPCII. I wonder if that’s because I’m running DVDFab/AnyDVD.

I presume I could do a firmware dump of the one that’s already on the drive, edit that in MediaCodeSpeedEdit software then reflash it.

[QUOTE=Bane;2487321]Hmm…using nero drive info, it says that my drive is already RPCII.[/QUOTE]

Of course it is RPC2 already (i.e. region locked) … all new drives are … isn’t that why you wanted to unlock it in the first place? :confused:
There are two ways to unlock a drive: either flash it with a RPC1 firmware which disables the region control mechanism entirely (so you get a region free drive) or alternatively flash it with a RPC2 Auto Reset firmware so that the region counter gets reset back every time you power down your drive (i.e every time you shut down or restart your computer) …

[QUOTE=Bane;2487321]
I presume I could do a firmware dump of the one that’s already on the drive, edit that in MediaCodeSpeedEdit software then reflash it.[/QUOTE]

No you can’t! Unfortunately there’s no way yet to dump firmwares from LG drives with a Panasonic chipset, and even if you could, there’s no flasher available to flash that firmware back into the drive. You need to do what evo173 said. MCSE can make your drive RPC2 Auto Reset.

Since you’ve got AnyDVD already installed on your machine, you shouldn’t be bothered about region coding anyhow… AnyDVD will disable all protections, so you could play DVDs from any region you want without having to patch your drive.

By the way, all this only applies to DVDs. MCSE will not disable/touch Blu-Ray region control. However you can use AnyDVDHD to overcome the Blu-Ray region control mechanisms …