Post a photo you have taken

vbimport

[QUOTE=Wombler;2781237]Jaw dropping stuff![/QUOTE]
A long time ago I visited the Grand Canyon with my parents and everyone was awed by the magnificent sight… except for one young boy who had been dragged there by his family. I still to this day remember his words as he looked sullenly at the spectacular sight:

“What’s so Grand about this Canyon, anyway?!”

You just can’t please everyone! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2781238]Yep, that’s how I remember it. Went in '89, before I started using good cameras, and my snapshots all seemed a bit washed out compared to what I saw. It would have been a good place to use a polarizing filter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I’d been told before we left by a really good photographer that I couldn’t get decent photos without a polarising filter and chromatic aberration.

I checked it out how to minimise chromatic aberration online so I narrowed the aperture as far as it goes then just tweaked the ISO and shutter speed to adjust the exposure.

That’s probably about the best I can do without moving to full DSLR as it’s just a bridge camera so I haven’t got a polarising filter. It was also slightly hazy both days we were there so TBH I was reasonably pleased with the results especially having seen similar professional photos.

I do love experimenting though and every so often I get that one special shot that makes all the effort worthwhile. TBH it’s that more than anything that keeps me at it. :slight_smile:

I love looking at other people’s photos too, so keep them coming folks. :wink:

Here’s a nice one I took of a meerkat at Lincoln Park Zoo.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2781271]A long time ago I visited the Grand Canyon with my parents and everyone was awed by the magnificent sight… except for one young boy who had been dragged there by his family. I still to this day remember his words as he looked sullenly at the spectacular sight:

“What’s so Grand about this Canyon, anyway?!”

You just can’t please everyone! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I guess as they say, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” Roar. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2781290]Yeah I’d been told before we left by a really good photographer that I couldn’t get decent photos without a polarising filter and chromatic aberration.

I checked it out how to minimise chromatic aberration online so I narrowed the aperture as far as it goes then just tweaked the ISO and shutter speed to adjust the exposure…

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Wombler. I wouldn’t pay too much attention to that. Chromatic aberration is inherent in all lenses to a degree. Best option in most cases is to use an aperture near the middle of the range, say F 8. Any smaller and the image will start to get soft. It can be dealt with in Photoshop or Lightroom very easily as they have camera and lens profiles which will correct it near perfectly. And a polariser? Well…some like them, some don’t. Useful in some situations to reduce reflections which can improve color a bit. Most pros I know don’t use them

[QUOTE=deanimator;2783094]Hey Wombler. I wouldn’t pay too much attention to that. Chromatic aberration is inherent in all lenses to a degree. Best option in most cases is to use an aperture near the middle of the range, say F 8. Any smaller and the image will start to get soft. It can be dealt with in Photoshop or Lightroom very easily as they have camera and lens profiles which will correct it near perfectly. And a polariser? Well…some like them, some don’t. Useful in some situations to reduce reflections which can improve color a bit. Most pros I know don’t use them[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dean.

I’ve just checked the photos I took and I’d already set it at f8 so I guess I hit the sweet spot. Haze was a bit of a problem at the Grand Canyon when you’re taking shots over such large distances but I was pretty happy with most of my photos and I think I made the best of it given that we were only there for two nights.

That’s some very useful advice though and it shows you can’t believe all you read.

I used to do photo restoration quite a lot so I could spend ages enhancing photos if I wanted to but ATM I prefer the challenge of getting as much as possible right in camera, which is probably just as well as I never seem to get the time to edit them. :slight_smile:

I took about 1600 photos too and most of them were excellent so it would take me long enough even selecting the best shots let alone enhancing them further. :slight_smile:

If I can get my basic camera skills up to a level that I think is good then I’ll be happy and might start dabbling more with photo editing at that stage.

I love your stuff on Facebook BTW, stunning photos.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I got a ‘new’ camera for my birthday last week - a mint Canon 50D with just over 900 shutter actuations on the clock. Nice to be using an SLR again after all these years, even if it is only a half-frame one. Photos from small sensor cameras never look quite right to me. This was its first outing (the light was lousy).

Fallow Deer (in winter coat)

But the picture was beautiful thanks

[QUOTE=thor21344;2784169]But the picture was beautiful thanks[/QUOTE]
Thank you. :flower: This is what the deer was after - a carrot.

Such a pleasant scene. Nice photos, Matt. :slight_smile:

Wish I could have seen that in the real, I love all animals

The light might have been lousy Ibex but that clearly didn’t hinder you as those photos are superb! :clap: :clap:

[B]Wombler[/B]

More from the new camera.

For a wildlife photographer, the worst thing about digital SLRs (apart from the price, and increasingly poor viewfinders) is the flash metering.

A few early models had off-the-film TTL flash metering, like film SLRs. But calibrating the system for highly reflective digital sensors is tricky. So we have to make do with pre-flash TTL metering, or with some camera/flash/lens combinations a ‘best guess’ based on the focusing distance reported by the lens.

On my old Canon T90 a bit of fill-in flash like this would have worked a treat, and OTF TTL metering would have made correct exposure a doddle. But as you can see, the subject reacted to the metering pre-flash. fortunately on this occasion the Robin flinched, but didn’t fly off and it produced a nice action photo.

Wonderful IBEX

One of my guitars.

Great looking guitar

The Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus), nemesis of bird table owners.

In 1995-96 we had a flock of 10,000+ (I counted) take up residence at the end of our fields for the entire winter. As a dense flock they covered several hectares.

Squacco Heron ([I]Ardeola ralloides[/I])

Anyone know a good method of retouching flare? Spent ages masking and selectively desaturating & colour shifting that spot of flare on the left side, but it always ended up looking worse that the original.

A beautiful as the photo is, I don’t think that anyone would knowtice it

Thanks

Thank you Marty. :flower:

I knew as soon as I’d taken it back in May that this was going to be going on next year’s calendar.