Possibly Fried Simpletech external 250 HD

vbimport

I have a Simpletech external 250 HD 12 volt. Inside the case is a Sansung Model SP2514N (250GB/7200rpm/8m/pata). While wearing my dumb guy hat, I plugged it into a 19 volt power supply. Needless to say, it does not work now. What to do? Get a USB enclosure? Where do I get one? What kind do I need?

Thank you!
edit

Hi and Welcome!

have you already tried the HDD installed internally? Maybe it’s only the USB/IDE converter that has been killed.

Michael

You said “HDD installed internally? Maybe it’s only the USB/IDE converter that has been killed.”.

The HDD I had was an external one.

In English you mean try and install my External HD into a XP PC Tower? I was wondering if that might work. I have an old PC Tower xp. Would the Sansung Model SP2514N (250GB/7200rpm/8m/pata) plug in ok? And would the XP recognize it and allow me to read it? (Provided of course it’s not fried)

Or an empty USB enclosure? Or what, in English Please,
Thank you for your help.

Hi,[quote=CaptBigBoat;2166049]
In English you mean try and install my External HD into a XP PC Tower?[/quote]Exactly. Dismantle the enclosure and install the drive in your computer. You may have to change the jumper settings of the drive in order to avoid any conflicts.

I was wondering if that might work. I have an old PC Tower xp. Would the Sansung Model SP2514N (250GB/7200rpm/8m/pata) plug in ok?
Why not? These are normal HDDs, there is nothing special with these.
And would the XP recognize it and allow me to read it? (Provided of course it’s not fried)
Yes. Make sure you have the latest Service Pack for XP installed, and also read this MSKB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

Or an empty USB enclosure?
An empty enclosure or an adapter (example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189169) is another option but you must buy such a device (unless there is one lying in your drawer).

Michael

P.S.: It is not a good idea to publish your mail-address in a forum post (unless you are feeding a spam trap)