Possible TYG02 deterioration?

What is the correct forum for posting the results of tests on Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R disks? They seem to be deteriorating in the box.

There are forums for posting blank media results, but they are not for discussion. I need input on this problem. I bought 600 of these darned things, and I’m making 50% coasters with the same results on three drives.

I stocked up on them and have had them so long that SuperMediaStore would laugh if I tried to return them. Of course, now I’m concerned that many of my archived disks are garbage. Help.

We’d welcome the discussion in the main Blank Media forum :slight_smile:

Edit: in fact, this existing thread can be moved there if you’d like. Save you explaining your problem a second time. Just say the word. :slight_smile:

Please do. That way, I’ll know I’m in the right place. Thanks.

Job done. Can change the title too if you want. :slight_smile:

Back to the topic at hand. Any chance of posting some results?

I’ve recently been testing some of my YUDEN000 T02 (Verbatim branded TY 8x +R), which seem to have held up well. Not much experience with the TYG02 (except for some fake HK stuff a well-meaning family member bought me :eek: ).

Absolutely. You can remove everything but first post, if you want, and I’ll start posting from there.

I’m still running some tests, but yes, I’ll post some results. I’m very bummed out right now. I bought a large (to me) quantity of Taiyo Yuden disks based on tests at this and many other sites, and they are either crap or they are deteriorating. I hope I’m very wrong.

Ah, I’ll leave the posts be, but I’ve changed the title - hope it’s descriptive enough :wink:

Were all these TYG02 discs burned on your LG? I’ve found (from previous experience with various LG models, and the TYG03 problem I mentioned in your other thread), that Renesas-based LGs tend to prefer +Rs over -Rs most of the time. Of course there are always exceptions to that rule, with different firmwares and so on.

Given that you shopped at SuperMediaStore, I also wonder if you got the (so-called) value-line TYs.

Given that you shopped at SuperMediaStore, I also wonder if you got the (so-called) value-line TYs.

What would shopping at at SuperMediaStore have to do with it? SuperMediaStore clearly states whether they are Premium or Value Line.

The TYG02s have been burned on three burners with varying results. One burned on the new LG was horrible. Another burned on my Sony was bad. I’m verifying them on my Sony and NEC 3550A drives, since the LG will not do a Quality Test.

I will post some scans after I collect one or two more. They’re on a different computer that is tied up for a while. Note that a TYG02 that I burned after we started this thread passed a quality test at 95. The problems appear to be at the end of the burns, particularly after the 3.5GB mark.

ETA: They were represented by SuperMediaStore to be Premium disks, which is why I bought 600 at a time. So far, the Value Lines that I bought previously are burning better.

[QUOTE=neumannu47;2407879]The TYG02s have been burned on three burners with varying results. One burned on the new LG was horrible. Another burned on my Sony was bad. I’m verifying them on my Sony and NEC 3550A drives, since the LG will not do a Quality Test.[/QUOTE] Verifying how?

If you’re using a NEC ND-3550A drive for Disc Quality Scanning of your DVDs, the results should not be trusted - those drives are quite unpredictable when it comes to quality scanning and can show absolutely horrible scans for discs that are good, and the next moment the same drive can produce a beautiful scan of the exact same disc.

I have an Optiarc 5170S, and an NEC 4551A…and I’m not sure I’d trust either of them for DVD quality scanning, but that’s just personal preference of course.

I’d trust both my NEC drives for Transfer Rate Tests, though. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=neumannu47;2407879]
ETA: They were represented by SuperMediaStore to be Premium disks, which is why I bought 600 at a time. So far, the Value Lines that I bought previously are burning better.[/QUOTE]

Cheers for the info. As I don’t live in your part of the world (UK here), we just have TY discs (sold either as “unbranded” or under various brands), but I’ve read about the Value Lines etc etc and thought I’d throw it in on the off-chance.

My Lite-On burner is identified as an SHW-1635S with YS0Z firmware. In CD-DVD Speed, it is reported as a Sony DW-Q30A, so I really don’t know what it is. My guess is that Sony made it.

The scan results that I get on the Lite-On/Sony drive are comparable to the results I get on the NEC. I’m going to look around and see what other burners I have around here.

Please indulge me this question: If you were going to buy a SATA DVD burner that does a good job and accurately reports Quality Scores, which one would it be? The question has been asked a million times, but the answer changes based on recent experiences and who you ask.

Also, I’m not familiar with Transfer Rate Tests. How do I run one, and what do they tell me about the quality of a burned disk?

I had a couple of 1635S - great readers and not half bad at burning either IMO. :slight_smile:

Yeah, with -R discs, CD-DVDSpeed will report your Litey as a Sony in the “Recorded with…” area, it always did the same with my 1693S and 1635S’s. Nothing to worry about. :slight_smile:

What speed are you scanning at on the Litey? My memory is a bit rusty, but I think 8x is or was the forum standard for 5S/6S drives.

One thing though. My own 1635S were probably too tolerant of errors, and seemed to overlook a lot. Which made it a great ripper, though hehe.

Pop a disc into your NEC, run CD-DVDSpeed, and in the drop-down “Run Test” menu, you’ll see an option for “Transfer Rate Test” - run that. Ideally you want to see a nice smooth upward curve. One or two tiny dips are fine (IMO), depending on background PC activity.

Huge dips where the drive has to slow right down to read the disc are not so good…

Edit: For DVD scanning (I ignore the actual Quality Score bit), I’d go with a new LiteOn if you’re wanting SATA.

[QUOTE=neumannu47;2407879]The TYG02s have been burned on three burners with varying results. One burned on the new LG was horrible. Another burned on my Sony was bad. I’m verifying them on my Sony and NEC 3550A drives, since the LG will not do a Quality Test.

I will post some scans after I collect one or two more. They’re on a different computer that is tied up for a while. Note that a TYG02 that I burned after we started this thread passed a quality test at 95. The problems appear to be at the end of the burns, particularly after the 3.5GB mark.

ETA: They were represented by SuperMediaStore to be Premium disks, which is why I bought 600 at a time. So far, the Value Lines that I bought previously are burning better.[/QUOTE]
If you want to burn TYG02s (some of the best discs made) get your self a Pioneer and don’t worry about scans.

You didn’t seem to mention what speed you are burning at.

Here’s some of mine, burned with a Pioneer 115D @ [B]12X[/B] and scanned in my Benq.

Here’s a scan (not mine) of a TYG03 burned @ 4X in an LG.

Slower is not always better.

I’m burning at 8X on all drives.

Here are a couple of scans showing the problem. The first scan was the disk burned on the LG drive this morning at 8X. It was scanned for quality on the Lite-On drive at Maximum Speed.

The next scan was a disk burned on my Lite-On drive a few days ago, also at 8X. It was scanned for quality on the Lite-On drive at Maximum Speed. The disk after this one on the same drive burned fine, which is what makes me think that something is up with these disks.

I think I’m going to get a Pioneer drive. Pioneer seems to be the Plextor of years ago. Which one should I get? The 115D is discontinued. HERE is the list of available drives at NewEgg.

Is the LG drive good for ANYTHING, other than a reader? Would you trust it on any disks or configurations?

[QUOTE=neumannu47;2407965]
Is the LG drive good for ANYTHING, other than a reader? Would you trust it on any disks or configurations?[/QUOTE]

Can’t tell you personally, until I get one (and I do still intend to get that model. I like LG drives anyway, and my curiosity is piqued now). :wink:

Last Pioneer I had was the 115D, which was a great burner with all different grades of media. Unfortunately, it died prematurely.

What about the 218, as it’s an SATA model? Maybe have a bit of a search in the Pioneer section for others’ opinions before you make the decision, though.

In my experience, scanning at maximum speed (12x or 16x depending on media and firmware) on a LiteOn SHW-1635S will show a high error rate even on the best of discs/burns. This may be just on my particular 1635S, but I’d try reducing the scanning speed and see what results you get.

The “official” scanning speed for these drives here at CDFreaks is 4x, but they generally produce useful scans even at 8x. 12x is pushing it with these drives and 16x will give you many splendidly colourful scans.

I have to agree with DrageMester try slowing the scan speed down to 4x and turn on the jitter test also
because those Liteon drives can and will give you some very weired looking scans at 12x or 16x speed. :eek:

Also, slower speed scanning is better because fewer samples are dropped. Do an 8x scan, and when the completed screen pops up, look for a line that says scanning interval and tell us what it says. Then do a 4x scan and give us the scanning interval from that. The ideal for a Lite-On is for it to be as close to 1.00 as possible.

Also, turn on jitter scanning by clicking the Advanced button and making sure that the DVD Jitter box is checked.

What LG drive is this ?

I would say that 60% plus of my burns are with TYG02 and TYG03 and 60% of them again are with the so called ‘value line’, which are really called duplication grade, the archive grade are what people think are much better, I have not found this to be the case.

I also found that my Optiarc DVDRW AD-5170A & 7170A would be more truthful the faster the quality scan was, when put against my Lite0n’s.

[QUOTE=Lenny_Nero;2408187]What LG drive is this ?[/QUOTE]
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50