Possible to overburn DVD+R DL?

vbimport

I have an image that is slightly larger than Nero will allow to burn (same with Alcohol 120%). And Nero will not allow overburn adjustments in the dual layer DVD range.

Is it possible to overburn a DVD dual layer image with any program?

Thanks in advance

P.S. My burner supports overburning. “Support Fixed Packet, Variable Packet, TAO, SAO, DAO, Raw Mode Burning & Over-Burn.”

Are you sure your drive supports DVD overburning ? Many drives can overburn CDRs, but a few BenQ and Plextor models are able to overburn to DVD+/-R media. I’d suggest you to slightly shrink the dvd image to fit it to a DL disc.

What do you mean slightly larger image then nero can burn?? If you do plan to overburn make sure your drive has the ability to overburn otherwise your asking for trouble in the drive. What kinda image are you trying to burn and it’s size? Also without telling us what kinda drive you and just stating your drive can overburn won’t help you much there. Plus I never overburn on a dvd dl media only time that comes up is it wanting to overburn on dvd media only.

Thanks for your responses. :smiley:

“Are you sure your drive supports DVD overburning ?” No, I got the info on the Lite-on site. There’s no indication that it supports DVD overburning.

“I’d suggest you to slightly shrink the dvd image …” I don’t think that this will work since I can’t reproduce the ISO from the original source.

Answers to coolcolors:
Burner is a: Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1L
Data to be written: 8,208 MB
space available on disk: 8,152 MB
Media: Memorex DVD+R DL 8.5 GB (part number: 3202 05647)
The image is an .ISO

Someone suggested I extract some unnneeded items from the ISO to reduce the size to within acceptable limits, then burn it.

This sounds like a workable solution; but I’m not sure how to do this. Right now, my best guess is to mount it in Alcohol 120%, extract as above, create the smaller ISO with Alcohol, then burn.

If there is a better way, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Your being to secretive about your Iso.

Is it a image of a movie?
What movie is it?

If this is the case you do not need the original to be able to shrink this Iso.

Is it a image of data, like a software program?

If this is the case you can use a program like UltraIso or MagicIso to open the Iso up and exact unwanted items.

If you tells us what it is, it could go a long way in getting to your goal.

:cool: :cool:

Sorry, I didn’t intend to be secretive, I just didn’t know what information to provide/what was important.

It was a image of data, like a software program, and you were dead on with your recommendation. I used UltraIso and all went very well.

Thanks so much for your help.
:smiley:

There is no such thing as “OverBurning” DL disc becasue the program can not recognized which layer of the disc has to be overburn.

I am frustrated a bit that a disc image does not fit onto my dual-layer DVD.
I have 140 MB too less for that Linux image. Does overburning still work for 140MB? How much actually?.

@TL7

Unless you must use DVD media i would strongly recommend you use bootable USB for general OS installation and will save you from wasting discs, especially higher priced discs like DVD+R DL media and you will probably end up getting a newer ISO file in the not too distant future to.

so no real point in using DVD recordable media for OS installs anymore unless of course you got a older computer that don’t like booting from USB.

even a used Laptop i got recently which is from 2008 boots from USB except it’s a bit picky on what it will work with as it does not like a older 1GB USB stick i got but works fine with a newer Sandisk 64GB USB v3.0 thumb drive of which i got it setup with multiboot. so i can choose what to boot from be it Windows 10/CloneZilla/Memtest/DBAN etc all bootable from same USB stick and i would assume your Linux would work fine to. I used YUMI (i.e. https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ ), which is free, to make the multiboot USB thumb drive. i still keep the drive as NTFS so it works on that occasion i need it for playing back video files on a bluray player as it does not work with the exFAT file system as the drive is not even recognized but it sees the drive fine when formatted to NTFS.

you can get the same USB stick i got for like $20 at Walmart.

Does your username @TCAS refer to this?.