Possible to make a firmware backup?

vbimport

Hi everybody!

Is it possible to make a firmware backup from an existing one before flashing a new version to a PX-820SA, and if, how?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Plextorian;2772562]Hi everybody!

Is it possible to make a firmware backup from an existing one before flashing a new version to a PX-820SA, and if, how?

Thanks in advance :)[/QUOTE]

BinFlash
http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/

Thanks for your fast reply. It works great. Do you also know if that drive ever received an original update? I read about vers. 1.01 but never found a trustable download, so i´m still using the factory default vers. 1.00 and have very good results (shown with PX-760SA). Just today i bought another rarely used PX-820SA from ebay and the owner told me something about vers. 1.01 too. Only to be prepared for a flashback, i asked for a tool here. Any advice?

[QUOTE=Plextorian;2772566]Thanks for your fast reply. It works great. Do you also know if that drive ever received an original update? I read about vers. 1.01 but never found a trustable download, so i´m still using the factory default vers. 1.00 and have very good results (shown with PX-760SA). Just today i bought another rarely used PX-820SA from ebay and the owner told me something about vers. 1.01 too. Only to be prepared for a flashback, i asked for a tool here. Any advice?[/QUOTE]

I had a dozen or so of such models but never came up from firmware 1.01
Of course how you will come such a model across from firmware 1.01 it you can try to coordinate it and load with BinFlash program to it of models Plextor PX-820SA.
But it is necessary to remember that these structures had two versions from other OPU ( Sony KWS-293A / Sanyo SF-DS18S) and other bootcode…
He can this way be that firmware are 1.01 to other structural version and loading so firmware will cause trouble…

[B]Plextorian[/B], when your drive will arrive, could you please backup the firmware and original bootcode and upload them somewhere? These drives are rare, and having the extra dumps would be a good idea. :slight_smile:

@czary2mary1

Thanks for clarifying. I will for shure flash back to vers. 1.00 if other version is flashed because i was always satisfied with that but i don´t think so.

@blackened2687

i can also upload version 1.00 right now if you don´t have that already. But only the .bin file because i don´t know how to get the original bootcode with that tool. I´m not an expert in these things or you have to explain that to me and i will try.
If there is something else flashed on the new drive i will backup it before flashback and contact you. No problem. But i have already 4 drives with version 1.00 just one doesn´t open well, even contact 60 spray doesn´t help anymore. That´s the reason for a fifth.

[B]Plextorian[/B], bootcode can be dumped with this patched version of BinFlash: http://crazycat69.narod.ru/nec-dvdrw/necflashfx.zip

Just run it and dump the drive with the standard way - resulting dump will contain bootcode and EEPROM data.

I already have 1.00 version of the firmware, but don’t have a bootcode, so having it wouldn’t be bad idea. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Did it using win7 64 bit. Is it ok for you. Just wondering because the size is 192 kb. With the unpatched version it was 1,75 mb.

dump.zip (11.6 KB)

Your bootcode/EEPROM dump is absolutely correct, thank you very much!

@blackened2687

Today i received my PX-820SA from ebay and i can tell you now that it has firmware version 1.00 as expected. So no newer version 1.01 available for upload, as there never was one. The owner was wrong :wink: