Possible Sony CRX230 Upgrades?

vbimport

What possible upgrades can I make to a Sony CRX230 with QYS1 firmware (according to Intel Application Accelerator)? Can I simply use latest firmware on http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_downloads/e_firmware_cd-rw.asp for LTR-52327S? (Also, I’ve never upgraded firmware or otherwise for a disc drive.)

Use this:
http://dhc014.rpc1.org/indexOEM.htm#CRX230E

Which one? Can I use QS0E dated Feb 27, 2004 for Windows? Are firmware on dhc014 original files or modified some way? Also, firmware on liteonit.com won’t work?

Originally posted by Akumajo
Which one? Can I use QS0E dated Feb 27, 2004 for Windows? Are firmware on dhc014 original files or modified some way? Also, firmware on liteonit.com won’t work?

I’m not sure if they’re modified, but the text on his page says that they are, so they probably are. You’ll have to ask him for specifics, but…

1. If they are modified, they are probably modified in a way to allow the FW to work on your rebadged OEM. I wonder if this might have anything to do with the hardware revisions of the drive.
  2. Since he has it listed as being usable for the 230, you can probably use it.
  3. Dave’s a moderator here, and he knows what he’s doing. And if the firmware on his page is modified, then he probably had a very good reason for modifying them. I’d trust his page and use what’s on there instead.

Of course, the only person who could really comment on this would be Dave himself… :slight_smile:

You can use First Revision LTR-52327S firmwares on your drive, otherwise use the “Modified LTR-52327S Firmwares (for the 216E 225E and 230E only)” which are LTR-52327S firmwares that have been modified to have the CRX230E name.

LiteOn firmware gave a does not match error. How do I convert this Sony to a LiteOn so I don’t have to rely on modified firmware?

use FlashFix on LiteOn firmware

Be sure to choose QS0E and not QS57 for the Sony CRX230E.

Done. Thanks.

Akumajo , what is the reason that you trying to flash your Sony with a Lite-On firmware? It is practically the same drive,so… I don’t really get it. I’ve got a LTN-32527S ,and my friend’s got the Sony. The only thing that’s bothering him it’s the “turbo” feature (i hope that you know what’s that) ,besides that it’s the same drive,the same quality burns… (checked by KProbe on both drives).
Anyone,please explain…:eek:

Why else would there be firmware updates if not for fixes, performance enhancements, etc? QYS1 firmware this Sony originally had was very old.

Aren’t there original Sony firmware upgrades?

Sony hasn’t released any firmware updates for this drive. What “turbo” feature? I don’t read up on disc drive features. A drive’s a drive to me… As long as it’s a current model, I’m somewhat satisfied as far as a disc drive.

Guess I should pose this question to dhc014 or anyone else in the know: Are there any disadvantages to using latest (QS0E) Lite-On LTR-52327S firmware on a Sony CRX230 as opposed to original (QYS1) firmware?

“turbo feature” - unless you manually enable the “turbo” (you have to press and keep pressed the eject key for some time for each disk , the drive performs as a 40/32/40 drive. when the turbo is enabled,the full potential can be unleashed.

Originally posted by viperXP
“turbo feature” - unless you manually enable the “turbo” (you have to press and keep pressed the eject key for some time for each disk , the drive performs as a 40/32/40 drive. when the turbo is enabled,the full potential can be unleashed.

Because having a disc explode in the drive from being spun too fast isn’t pretty. :wink:

Does anyone know any links for any FW upgrades for the OEM 230 drive… CRX230ED?

Thanks

First, back up your current firmware with LtnFW. Download the latest 5238S firmware. FlashFix it (see the tools collection). And then flash your drive. This will have the side-effect of your drive now being recognized as a LiteOn drive instead of a Sony drive.

If you ever revert back to your backed-up firmware, BE SURE TO CHECK UPDATE BOOTCODE when flashing!