"Possible read error" with Nero

vbimport

When creating an Audio CD from some mp3’s using Nero Express, I set everything set up and hit “burn.” The tray ejects and I’m instructed to put a blank disk in. When I do so, I recieve the following message:

“There has been a possible read error during the operation, which may result in a defective write. Do you wish to continue to write anyway?”

It does this with every blank CD I put in, so it doesn’t seem to be the media. Also, a “read error” at this point would seem to pertain to the hard drive, not the media. There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the hard drive, however, and if I put a blank disc in BERFORE I hit burn, I do not get this message – it simply uses the disc and procedes with the burn. I only get the message if I insert the disc after it asks for it.

One other important thing to note is that I don’t get the message if I’m only doing a simulation – only when I’m doing an actual burn. I would think that some sort of error pertaining to the actual data or hard drive would happen in a simulation as well. This issue seems to be a bug in Nero.

Does anybody else notice this? So far I’ve spoken with one other person who gets the same issue. I don’t remember ever seeing this before, but I’ve done a few Nero upgrades since the last time I created a disc. I get the same results with the last two versions of Nero.

I’m using a Yamaha 3200EZ drive with Win2K.

Thanks for any feedback on this,

Larry

Update to this: I only get the message when “Write” is the ONLY box that is checked. If either “Determine Maximum Speed” or “Simulate” is checked (either alone or in addition to the “Write” box), I don’t get the message.

Thanks for any feedback on this,

Larry

I’ve seen this error before in this thread on our Plextor forum. It seems to be a small glitch in the Nero software as far as I can tell (never seen the error before myself). Nothing to worry about.

Try putting the blank cd in before you click burn.

Thanks for the replies and the link to the other thread. Apparently this is a bug in Nero that exists with at least two different brands of CDRW units – Yamaha and Plextor (I’m unclear if it does this with all their models or just some of them.)

As I mentioned, putting the blank in first and THEN hitting burn prevents the message, but I wanted to determine if this problem was unique to my system or not. Apparently it is not.

Thanks,

Larry

Hey Friends

I am a newbie. I recently bought a Digital Research 48x16x48 and got nero express with it.

I am exactly experiencing the same problem as lalittle. I too get the same message :

“There has been a possible read error during the operation, which may result in a defective write. Do you wish to continue to write anyway?”

If any of you guys find a solution to this, please do post it.

Thanks