Possible gaming rig!

vbimport

I am pricing out a nice gaming rig and was wondering if anyone thinks I should change stuff, here it is:

Case: cooler master haf 932 advanced
M/B: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
CPU: i7-3770/3770s/3770k (not sure which one yet)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz
PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
Cooler: Corsair H100
Graphics: Sapphire HD 7870 2GB GDRR5 OC
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA3 6GB/s 7200RPM 16MB Buffer (Already have a 2TB WD Green and I am NOT interested in SSD)
Headset: Tritton AX Pro
Gaming Wheel: Logitech G27

As well I am buying windows 7 professional for builders and the family pack of office 2010 (My gf and I need a copy for college)

:slight_smile:

This will also run me about 2.8thousand Canadian.

Why not put off getting a copy of Office until you are registered at the college/university of your choice. Most colleges/universities will offer substantial discounts on Office for students/staff/faculty. Similarly, they have discounts on OS discs as well.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2640425]Why not put off getting a copy of Office until you are registered at the college/university of your choice. Most colleges/universities will offer substantial discounts on Office for students/staff/faculty. Similarly, they have discounts on OS discs as well.[/QUOTE]

I am registered to my college and they do not offer a discount so that is a no go.

2.8K CAD sounds expensive to me… would you not consider a customised Dell Aurora? With most of that stuff added (i7-3820@4.1 + mouse + keyboard + 1TB disk) it would be probably just over 2K CAD.

Leaves you enough for a nice screen (or six cores).

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2640536]2.8K CAD sounds expensive to me… would you not consider a customised Dell Aurora? With most of that stuff added (i7-3820@4.1 + mouse + keyboard + 1TB disk) it would be probably just over 2K CAD.

Leaves you enough for a nice screen (or six cores).[/QUOTE]

I will not consider buying ANY pc from a manufacturer. I am building a computer or buying a mac. Only two options. I am not worried about money to the point where 2.8K is too much. I just would like to stay within the high end range of my specs and save some money.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2640536]2.8K CAD sounds expensive to me… would you not consider a customised Dell Aurora? With most of that stuff added (i7-3820@4.1 + mouse + keyboard + 1TB disk) it would be probably just over 2K CAD.

Leaves you enough for a nice screen (or six cores).[/QUOTE]

Also, i am sticking with intel so it is a 4-core hyper threaded. NO AMD for me. Only my GPU will be AMD.

Your build looks good. So I would go with the 3770K. For the RAM, you won’t see a difference with over 8GB, so I would just stick with 8GB, get G.skill. If you want in the future you can upgrade, but for most uses its a waste, gaming you won’t see any difference. For the PSU I would upgrade to Platinum 80+, go for one like this: Antec Earthwatts EA650 Platinum 650W 80PLUS Platinum at 110CAD looks like a great deal.

I don’t know why you want such a fancy MB, there are a lot of good boards that are half that price, just stick with good brands like Asrock/Asus/Gigabyte.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2640540]Your build looks good. So I would go with the 3770K. For the RAM, you won’t see a difference with over 8GB, so I would just stick with 8GB, get G.skill. If you want in the future you can upgrade, but for most uses its a waste, gaming you won’t see any difference. For the PSU I would upgrade to Platinum 80+, go for one like this: Antec Earthwatts EA650 Platinum 650W 80PLUS Platinum at 110CAD looks like a great deal.

I don’t know why you want such a fancy MB, there are a lot of good boards that are half that price, just stick with good brands like Asrock/Asus/Gigabyte.[/QUOTE]

I need the 16 for how much I multi task, usually have like 30 tabs open and i like to run skype and play games, I want NO lag and this computer is again being made to LAST, no upgrades. Also, I am not getting less than the 850W and Gold is good enough for me, the only difference between Gold and Platinum is like 1% or 2% savings. Also I am getting the motherboard because my friend advised it plus I like all of the features including the easy OC and all the software. I know I didn’t mention it earlier but I am going to college for engineering so I need to be able to run Civil 3D, AutoCAD, office and browse the internet at the same time, again, NO lag would be ideal.

It is a decent build but I would interchange the Caviar blue for the black instead.

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2640549]It is a decent build but I would interchange the Caviar blue for the black instead.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about it but the black and blue run at the same speed just the black has more performance with the heads i believe which makes it loud. I have a green already and I love the performance alone, a blue would be perfect and i dont need to spend more money for something that doesn’t make a difference to me. Hence not interested in the SSD. But i appreciate your input :slight_smile:

As well as everyone else’s input.

[QUOTE=NickCarriere;2640538]Also, i am sticking with intel so it is a 4-core hyper threaded. NO AMD for me. Only my GPU will be AMD.[/QUOTE]The i3930 is an Intel six-core hyperthreaded.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2640589]The i3930 is an Intel six-core hyperthreaded.[/QUOTE]

I will admit i didnt know about the i7-3930 and I know that if i was to get 8GB of ram rather than 16GB, I will not save $300 to get that processor. Going to 8GB only saves like $40 which is worth the 16 for me.

[QUOTE=NickCarriere;2640631]I will admit i didnt know about the i7-3930 and I know that if i was to get 8GB of ram rather than 16GB, I will not save $300 to get that processor. Going to 8GB only saves like $40 which is worth the 16 for me.[/QUOTE]
Get the 16gbs kit. You can make some of it into a RAM disc. Faster than any SSD.:iagree:

It seems very expensive. Have you tried maybe AVA Direct or CyberPowerPC for comparison?

Don’t like the water kits. A nice hyper 212 will cool just ass good.
Your RAM is good RAM but has one problem. The heat spreaders will get in the way of aftermarket cooling. I took mine off (one actually fell out when opened) so I could get my Hyper 212 in a push pull fan setup. Ran memtest over night and they were still cool and after an hour of Prime 95 they still are cool.

Get normal RAM like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104173
or this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233239

I very much like Loki SD963 92mm cooler for excellent clearance in most cases and good cooling, especially with 2 fan.

I also found the EVGA at 152mm vs Coolermaster 212 at 159mm comparison good. EVGA provide excellent cooling with better chance to fit in mid-tower case.

For memory - on Intel, Kingston with specific XMP support works very well. Very reliable, just specify XMP in bios and it always work. No adjustment needed at all. It is 3rd type of RAM I tried in Intel X58 system and it work so well I went from 12gb to 24gb using same brand / model and it work perfectly too at 1600. Very impressed.

Moved to Building your own PC forum