Possible fix for Liteon 411s and DVD-r media

Hi all,
I just got my 411s two days ago. downloaded latest firmware from Liteon. Tried to write to TDK 2x dvd-r and memorex 4X dvd-r. Both would get about 3/4 way through and then give me illegal media errors. I was able to burn to the 4x DVD+rw disk that came with the drive, but it took 2 hours!! Thought the drive was bad. I already had DMA turned on, and previous had a pioneer A04 drive on this pc with no problems. On a suggestion I replace my older 40 pin ide cable with a new 80 wire one. Fixed everything. burned the TDK, Memorex, a Ritec and formated and burned generic DVD-r in about 35 minutes (1X). Just a suggestion for those having this type of issue with DVD-r media.

Originally posted by flanman
Hi all,
I just got my 411s two days ago. downloaded latest firmware from Liteon. Tried to write to TDK 2x dvd-r and memorex 4X dvd-r. Both would get about 3/4 way through and then give me illegal media errors. I was able to burn to the 4x DVD+rw disk that came with the drive, but it took 2 hours!! Thought the drive was bad. I already had DMA turned on, and previous had a pioneer A04 drive on this pc with no problems. On a suggestion I replace my older 40 pin ide cable with a new 80 wire one. Fixed everything. burned the TDK, Memorex, a Ritec and formated and burned generic DVD-r in about 35 minutes (1X). Just a suggestion for those having this type of issue with DVD-r media.

Perhaps have you damaged your old cable???

also make sure the 411 is set as master… i think that might have fixed my problem. i havent failed since and I’ve used a variety of discs.

I hope you all are reading “Quick Installation Guide” before mounting the drive. It is stated, both by pics and text:
“(To get the best results, we strongly suggest you connecting your DVD Writer drive to Secondary (bold) IDE port as the Master (bold) device.)” Point 3. QIG.

BTW, dont get confused by -flanman- mentioning “80-wire” IDE cable.
Its a 40 pair wiring, (40X2=80). Normaly required for ATA 66/100, (DMA-5). 411S is specified as DMA mode 2 drive.
http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/english/index-english.htm

Originally posted by pinto2
[B]I hope you all are reading “Quick Installation Guide” before mounting the drive. It is stated, both by pics and text:
“(To get the best results, we strongly suggest you connecting your DVD Writer drive to Secondary (bold) IDE port as the Master (bold) device.)” Point 3. QIG.

Its a 40 pair wiring, (40X2=80). Normaly required for ATA 66/100, (DMA-5). 411S is specified as DMA mode 2 drive.
http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/english/index-english.htm [/B]

I have 411s as slave and I haven’t any problem, I can do also on fly copy of cd and dvd!!!

-themaster1-
Sure…It may work for you…

But, in this forum we try to minimize probs and the first step is to follow manufactors (in this case Lite-On) recommendations.

Next time pls specify your setup and SW you are using.

[B]-themaster1-
Sure…It may work for you…

But, in this forum we try to minimize probs and the first step is to follow manufactors (in this case Lite-On) recommendations.

Next time pls specify your setup and SW you are using. [/B]

I ALWAYS put the master cd/dvd in slave mode and I have not problems, in each case this is my configuration:

athlon xp 2400±abit kd7-liteon 163 dvdrom master-ldw 411s slave.

The software is nero,clonecd,clonedvd,alcohol,etc…

athlon xp3200+ 1 gig. ram abit nf7s windows xp
411s as slave on primary wd harddrive master no problems burning ritekg disks (ie tdk) at 4x for + and 2x for -. never had one fail. cmc will not burn without errors (but thats with any drive ive tried including sony dru500a and plextor 708a). also note that i am using a 80 pin cable because its a slave to a dma133 harddrive.

How is the Lite-On 411s on burning 1x Princo and 1x Ritek? And 4x Princo and 4x Ritek? I’m planning to purchase some 100 packs, but would really rather not if they will produce only coasters. I’ve upgraded to latest firmware and region free, if that will help in any way.

Thanks,

-Tasuki

[B]I hope you all are reading “Quick Installation Guide” before mounting the drive. It is stated, both by pics and text:

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/english/index-english.htm [/B]

That’s something else I wanted to comment on. Why do they recommend installing as secondary master, but jumper them at the factory as slave? That’s been the situation for all 12 Lite-On drives I’ve purchased! (I wasn’t paying attention when I plugged in the 411s and it took me a minute to figure out why Nero InfoTool locked up after detecting the 163D on an add-on card. The 411s and 52327s were both set as slave on the secondary! DOH!)

Originally posted by Tasuki
[B]How is the Lite-On 411s on burning 1x Princo and 1x Ritek? And 4x Princo and 4x Ritek? I’m planning to purchase some 100 packs, but would really rather not if they will produce only coasters. I’ve upgraded to latest firmware and region free, if that will help in any way.

Thanks,

-Tasuki [/B]

It can’t handle 1x Princo. See the comments on OC Freak’s 411s review. I tried one (-R - I have some -RW I haven’t tried yet, as well as some Ritek 1X -RW) and got an error in the lead out. It plays in one of my DVD players but not the other. Ricoh 4x +R and +RW discs I tried play in everything I’ve tried them in (which means the book type bit setting isn’t as important as I’d expected).

Originally posted by dentman42
…(which means the book type bit setting isn’t as important as I’d expected).

But… cost effective! And even more compatible.

Originally posted by flanman
I was able to burn to the 4x DVD+rw disk that came with the drive, but it took 2 hours!!
I’m having this problem with my 411s too, but i have the right IDE cable. I bought the burner yesterday put it in, updated to the latest firmware [FS0F.exe], burned a TDK 1-4x DVD+R and it took around two hours and 12 minutes. I have tested the burned DVD and it works fine. I used Nero’s scan disc (file and surface scan) and no errors were found.

I thought it might be my IDE drivers (nForce 3.13), but maybe it’s the rounded cable. I shouldn’t be having any problems because my Liteon DVD-ROM 165H and Liteon 48246S CD-RW worked fine using this IDE cable and with the 3.13 IDE drivers. The drive seems to be having trouble reading normal CDs too. It will read them fine, but it speeds up then slows down and makes strange noises (these noises my be normal). The drive is running at UDMA 33.

Should it take around 18 seconds to detect a DVD? That seems very slow to me. I didn’t get any DVDs with my drive. :confused: I have spent hours searching these forums and others and most people seem to think the IDE drivers are to blame…

System Specs
Windows XP SP1
Athlon XP 2100
512MB ram
Epox 8rda+ Rev 1.1 [BIOS 8rda3930] - 30sep2003
Antec TruePower 430 Watt PSU
120GB Western Digital 7200RPM 8MB cache HDD
Liteon DVD-RW 411s second IDE as master
nForce 3.13 MoBo drivers WHQL

I just finished burning another TDK DVD+R with the software included with my burner (RecordNow DX 4.6). The DVD burnt at 4x and took 15 minutes. I guess Nero (last 5.5x version) does not like this burner. That’s fine with me. So far i really like RecordNow DX.

Both of the burnt DVDs only read at 4x. Is this normal? When extracting a pressed DVD DVD Decrypter runs at full speed (up to 12x).

Originally posted by Teapoto
[B]I just finished burning another TDK DVD+R with the software included with my burner (RecordNow DX 4.6). The DVD burnt at 4x and took 15 minutes. I guess Nero (last 5.5x version) does not like this burner. That’s fine with me. So far i really like RecordNow DX.

Both of the burnt DVDs only read at 4x. Is this normal? When extracting a pressed DVD DVD Decrypter runs at full speed (up to 12x). [/B]

Guess again. All of my burns were done with the latest Nero 5.5.10.x, no problem there at least on 4x +R and +RW media.

From what I’ve read, I’d guess nForce IDE drivers would be the obvious suspect.

Both of the burnt DVDs only read at 4x. Is this normal? When extracting a pressed DVD DVD Decrypter runs at full speed (up to 12x).
Read OC-Freaks nice review here http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/127 and you will know what is normal :slight_smile:

Yep, its normal. Theoreticly only 1X is required.

BTW, Nev Nero v. 6.xx.28 is more “DVD-ROM”, iow standalone, friendly than priv vers of Nero 6.

And nVidia IDE drivers…? just read in. No comment needed.

Originally posted by dentman42
[B]Guess again. All of my burns were done with the latest Nero 5.5.10.x, no problem there at least on 4x +R and +RW media.

From what I’ve read, I’d guess nForce IDE drivers would be the obvious suspect. [/B]
Hmm. Could be the nForce drivers. I won’t be using Nero again, but i may go back to the Microsoft IDE drivers anyway.

Originally posted by ala42
Read OC-Freaks nice review here http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/127 and you will know what is normal :slight_smile:
Thanks for that ala42 :). I this is what i found on that page:

Read
DVD-ROM
12x ( 16200KB/sec ) maximum by CAV
( single layer )

DVD-ROM
8x ( 10800KB/sec ) maximum by CAV
( dual layer )

DVD+/-R/RW
6x(8100KB/sec) maximum by CAV

So i should be getting 6x with the burnt DVDs? Could be the IDE drivers i guess…

[B]Yep, its normal. Theoreticly only 1X is required.

BTW, Nev Nero v. 6.xx.28 is more “DVD-ROM”, iow standalone, friendly than priv vers of Nero 6.[/B]
I’m happy with RecordNow MX for now. Many people seem to like Alcohol 120% so i might try it later on.

Yes it should reach 6X at the end of a recorded DVD. But is starts out at about 3X and thus only averages just over 4X.

…Or the same on picture… :bigsmile: