Possible faulty Pioneer dvr 109?

Just bought a Pioneer DVR 109.

This unit was installed yesterday as per installation instructions and it can recognise and play dvd’s but does not allow recording. We are running Windows XP. Previous cd burner was in “Master” jumper setting. This unit was removed, Pioneer was installed also with “Master” jumper setting on.

Icon for this drive in “My Computer” shows it as “DVD-R RW Drive” when empty.

When a blank dvd is placed within unit, Icon in “My Computer” changes to “CD Drive”. When clicking on Properties of blank DVD, we get 0 Free Space and 0 Used Space.

We have tried 4 different types of DVD blanks and it does the same on all of them. None will allow data to be written to DVD blank.
With XP I was pretty sure this would be “plug and play”, but I guess not. Have I mssed something or is the burner faulty?

I bet I’ve forgotten something, havn’t I ?? This post is also in Newbie just incase I’ve missed the bleedy obvious. :slight_smile:

TIA all.

Update your burning software.

What would be the sense getting info about the media this way…??
xp doesn’t properly support DVD, that’s the reason.

You can use the in-built IMAPI-Burn-engine to burn CDs, DVDs not.

You need a proper burning tool, you could even test it with a Nero trial.

another newb here. i am having the same exact problem. i am using a 109XL set to master via usb 2.0 (it’s in a thermaltake enclosure). i flashed to firmware 1.57 and am using the most recent rev of nero. i’m using dvdshrink and when i try to burn a disc, nero just hangs.

any tips would be very much appreciated. i’m pulling out what little hair i have left trying to figure this out!

-eric

If you already have Nero installed, then try burn with DVD-Decrypter, make sure that the drive is connected to a usb 2.0 port.

If you are decide to still use Nero, update to the latest available version and test it with different brands and types of media.

But using another good burning app like DVDDecrypter is a VERY good idea.