Possible DMA Problem win2k

vbimport

Performance Problem
When trying to burn in speed above 8X BURN-proof kicks in a 40+ times in win2000. If I install WInxp it works like a charm. Hardware is HP Vectra VL800 with: 2Ghz, 768 RAM,7200 rpm Hdd's , Plextor 40/12/40. I believe that DMA is the problem but there is no "ADVANCED" tab on the setting for the IDE channel. Is there a registryhack to enable that tab? Any other ideas? Getting kinda desperate...

http://tweakcentral.com/dma.htm#win2k

If it’s not there , remove the drivers for your ide channels and restart the system. It should now reinstall the drivers (be sure to have them).

Nope…same thing…The “ADVANCED”-tab just isn’t there.
And another odd thing…the cdwriter, dvdplayer and both hardrives appear as SCSI-drives in Device Manager. There isn’t even a SCSIcard in the machine. Could this be causing the problem? If so, how do I get them back to normal?
I downloaded DMAcheck from MS, but it doesn’t detect any IDE/ATAPI units, probably due to the SCSIdetection.
Any Ideas?

//Tobbe

Originally posted by Tobbe_nova
[B]Nope…same thing…The “ADVANCED”-tab just isn’t there.
And another odd thing…the cdwriter, dvdplayer and both hardrives appear as SCSI-drives in Device Manager. There isn’t even a SCSIcard in the machine. Could this be causing the problem? If so, how do I get them back to normal?
I downloaded DMAcheck from MS, but it doesn’t detect any IDE/ATAPI units, probably due to the SCSIdetection.
Any Ideas?

//Tobbe [/B]

Aha , i think i know the problem.

The ide controller it all is connected to is not a standard controller but a seperate controller or a non-standard chip. For instance , the additional Promise controllers you find on today’s motherboards also are recognized as SCSI controllers (Promise Windows Drivers).
Usually you can’t set the dma in those drivers since it’s all on automatic. I suggest taking a peek at HP’s website to find if there are updates for your “special” ide controller.

Have tried ALL Hp updates, BIOS, chipset, IDE…
but to no avail…
Ive called HP support…but to no avail.

This is my last hope!
Noone seems to be ablöe to tell me why my other 1Ghz machines with 5400 rpm drives can burn successfully in 40X but the latest 2 Ghz just cannot do it.

H E L P ! !! ! ! ! ! !!

Problem solved!

The Chipset driver on HP webpage was faulty.
After installing the one from Intel´s page everything worked like a charm!