Possible corrupt blank DVD?

Hi,
I’m having a problem… I’m trying to burn data on a dvd but everytime I install the dvd i get error 1305: ‘Error 1305 from the file D:\blaba\blabla Verify that the file exists and that you can acces it.’
First of all, the data is not corrupt I checked the file on my hardrive to which the error refers. Secondly, the dvds have no scratches; they’re brand new.
A quick summary of what I did:

Try 1: external burner on pc -) error missing file A

Try 2: external burner on same pc as try 1 -) error missing file B

Try 3; internal burner from other pc -) error missing file B

My first thought on forehand was, that there might be a problem with my dvd burner. But it turned out I was wrong. (as you can see try 2&3 exactly the same file with different burner). My best guess is that it must be because of corrupt blank dvds. There were hundreds of files on the disk and 2 and 3 gave exactly the same file. I might be wrong… What do you think?

Daan

(btw. I have philips dvds)

are you burning just the link to the file to the DVD if so that might be the problem, I’m not really familiar with the MID of Philips DVD’s because I’ve never used them. Maybe someone else here knows more about them then I do and can help!

No, just the files.

Have you tried another brand of DVD? Philips is not the best brand to be using anyway :disagree:
but I guess it all just depends on which MID you get as to wither they are good or not.
Your best bet is to try some Verbatim discs. :iagree:

here you go check out your Philips discs right here
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmediasearch=Philips&dvdmediadvdridsearch=&type=11&size=4.7&dvdburnspeed=All&order=Name&hits=50&search=Search+or+List+Media

Yeah, but are you sure the problem lies with the dvds. It’s hard to imagine that the 4 dvds I tried so far all have this ‘coaster’ problem… The test however, concluded that the dvds weren’t that good. (15-20 out of 200 had a coaster problem) so i’m fearing the worst…

Another thing, when it turns out that the dvds are the problem, is there some kind of tool, which can simulate the burning, so I can check which dvds are ‘bad’ and which aren’t.

Are you by any chance copying a copy-protected DVD?

No of course not, :disagree::cool::disagree: (joke)
and if I would, there is no way I would get that error. This has nothing to do with copy-protection, it’s just that reports a missing file. Also, when try to copy the reported file in explorer, it gives the ‘cyclistic redundance error’, something you only get when a file is really missing or it can’t be read.

Maybe there is something wrong with the file rather then the disc?

Yes, good point, but on forehand I tested the iso file on my hard disk (which contained all the files) with an emulator. There was no error. That same iso file I burnt as image, using Nero. Than I tested the dvd and I got these errors.

So you get CRC errors on the DVD itself? Can you do a disc quality test on that DVD and show us?

Yes, but I’m not sure if I’ve used the right tool for that; I did the quality test in Nero cd/dvd speed.

Anyway I’ve attached an image of the results from that test.

All right, I can confirm that the errors are caused by the dvds, assumingbly because of a production error I checked some of the same dvds on which I had burnt other data, and also those gave the error. (I thought for a long time those were fine but probably I’d skipped just the ‘bad’ parts.)

Anyway, now I’m certain I’m dealing with a production error, I think I can only check them and see if there are any good ones.

[U][B]In the mean while I continue being slightly:a:aPISSED [/B][/U][U][B]:a[/B][/U][U][B]FF:a:a, since I lost some important data now… Moreover it can mean that my 20 euros have been spend for no less[/B][/U][U][B] than:a:auseless disks:a:a.
I truly HAD NOT expected this from Philips…

[/B][/U]So, When it turn out many of the disks are not working I might try to mail the site and hope theu can arrange something.
Thanks anyway, for your great help.

Daan

(BTW. Is Sony a good brand to buy. I’ve haven’t had any problems with it so far… Anyone suggestions?)

Try a 12x or 8x burn and see how that works out.

Sony in the US is not to bad, what else can you purchase?

[QUOTE=daan_odi_;2123785]All right, I can confirm that the errors are caused by the dvds, assumingbly because of a production error I checked some of the same dvds on which I had burnt other data, and also those gave the error. (I thought for a long time those were fine but probably I’d skipped just the ‘bad’ parts.)

Anyway, now I’m certain I’m dealing with a production error, I think I can only check them and see if there are any good ones.

[U][B]In the mean while I continue being slightly:a:aPISSED [/B][/U][U][B]:a[/B][/U][U][B]FF:a:a, since I lost some important data now… Moreover it can mean that my 20 euros have been spend for no less[/B][/U][U][B] than:a:auseless disks:a:a.
I truly HAD NOT expected this from Philips…

[/B][/U]So, When it turn out many of the disks are not working I might try to mail the site and hope theu can arrange something.
Thanks anyway, for your great help.

Daan

(BTW. Is Sony a good brand to buy. I’ve haven’t had any problems with it so far… Anyone suggestions?)[/QUOTE]
you know they aren’t really made by Philips right?

Try a 12x or 8x burn and see how that works out.
Yeah, I tried that it didn’t work. It’s defenitely a production error.

you know they aren’t really made by Philips right?

Well, maybe not, but that doesn’t take away, that you thrust them because of their brand- name and expect a certain quality.

I used to use Philips DVD+Rs, MIDs were a mix of MBIPG101 R05 and something to do with Infomedia. But this is in Western Europe, it might not be the same everywhere. I read here that in the U.S. Philips uses branded CMC MAG discs of some kind.
Which IMO is not exactly premium quality.

Generally speaking, to get the best quality of disc, you should go by the Manufacturer ID (MID) code, and the best come from manufacturers Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (normally branded Verbatim) and Taiyo Yuden (normally sold direct).

Thanks for the info.
One thing, how can I check which MID a product has when I want to buy it,
For example, I found a good bargain on the internet with 50 Verbatim/Sony/etc. dvds. How can I check which MID I’m, buying because there lots of different MIDs for exactly the same product, also 50 dvd+r, 16 speed etc. (I looked on videohelp.com)

Yes, this MID is lots of crap, how can you know if you do not have a disc???
You still did not say where you are located, I buy TY online $36/100(Shiny silver) + shipping and had no problem with those, but they are only 8x.

I live in the Netherlands.

Just wait a while. There is [B]Arachne[/B] guy on this forum. I think he is from UK or may be somebody else from Europe will give you a hint on a good brand DVD.
I am on the other side of the ocean.
There is also some disc recovery software which may work for you to get files back. You just have to search for it.