Possible Convertxtodvd crash and requiring some insight

I had a crash whilst converting stuff to dvd (i think) about an hour ago which resulted in the computer being completely shut down.
Unfortunately I wasn’t in the room at the time and can only guess as to what actually caused it. What I do know is that when I left the computer it was downloading stuff and converting stuff to dvd via a batch. The last file it was converting was half finished.

I have used convertxtodvd plenty and have never had a crash let alone one that would cause the computer to completely shutdown and I am a wee bit worried.
I have looked in the event viewer in xp and there is nothing out of the ordinary. It booted back up with no problems but I had to do it myself.
To me it looks like it over heated (which I would have thought would have resulted in it restarting) or had a power failure (set in the bios to stay off). However there is no other evidence in the house to suggest that a power failure occurred and I fairly certain no one physically switched it off.

So what I am asking, basically, would there be any particular reason why my computer may have shut itself off during dvd conversion (eg a bad video). If it is a hardware fault is there any way to diagnose it. Or do I need to call the ghostbusters to get rid of some mischievous poltergeist.

I know this maybe isnt the place to ask these questions but its the only thing I was doing on the computer at the time that was unique therefore its my first line of enquiry.

Cheers.

p.s I am reconverting the offending file right now and doing the same downloading tasks that were happening at the same time when it crashed previously so i should know in approximately 20mins if the problem is reproducible.

p.p.s saying that when the computer crashed last time it had been on for quite a while (at least 3 days possibly longer, a week? who knows) so its not exactly the same conditions but its the best i can do.

Hi there,

Most of the time, a computer will shutdown due to a heat problem.
Video conversion is real CPU intensive.

Else, ConvertXtoDVD would have crash, or locked up.

Do you have any Energy Saver stuff turned on ?
Hybernation ?

An other user had hybernation issues, PC tried to hybernate and would act weird and shutdown.

Once you reboot your PC, do not start ConvertXtoDVD.

Go see what’s in the [B]ConvertXtoDVD_CRASH.log[/B]

[B]C:\Documents and Settings[USERNAME]\Application Data\Vso[/B]

Well its too late for the vso log as I already tried reconverting the file (worked no bother) I thought it might more likely be hardware which is what worried me more.

I have no particular power options save the monitor going off after 20 mins and i don’t tend to hibernate so im pretty sure its not that.

If it had overheated would the system not reboot?

Not always. My old P4 (RIP) locked up when it over-heated…so I guess shutting down completely is equally possible. :wink:

Fair enuff, must be just a heat issue

okay i have a problem with convertx2dvd shutting down my pc…idk why it is doing it. i have windows 7 and it work okay when i only convert 1 file but when i try to do 6 files “from avi. to dvd” it shuts down the computer. can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong?

[QUOTE=tapfer1;2477883]okay i have a problem with convertx2dvd shutting down my pc…idk why it is doing it. i have windows 7 and it work okay when i only convert 1 file but when i try to do 6 files “from avi. to dvd” it shuts down the computer. can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

Did you make sure those avi files play correctly first before trying to covert them? Cause corrupted files will cause problems for converting program. From what it is doing does sound something like heat issues. Is this the only program that does have this effect on your computer?? Also in you convertx settings did you pick any box or anything relating to shutting down the computer??

[QUOTE=tapfer1;2477883]okay i have a problem with convertx2dvd shutting down my pc…idk why it is doing it. i have windows 7 and it work okay when i only convert 1 file but when i try to do 6 files “from avi. to dvd” it shuts down the computer. can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong?[/QUOTE]
Let me hear about the specs on that computer please. You could have a bottleneck somewhere, nothing to do with the software, it sounds as if you have a hardware issue.