Portions of Movie are UPSIDE DOWN

vbimport

Hello,

I wasn’t sure where to post my question but this looked like it might apply. I have downloaded a movie that was originally .FLV and I have converted it to .WMV using Freemake (I want to ultimately play it on a standalone DVD player). It is 9 min. 49 sec. long and generally plays OK except for 5 portions where it has been flipped upside down for about 1 minute (each portion). I want to correct this before burning it to DVD. Is there any good FREE editing software that can do this? I can edit the upside down portions out of the video with Freemake but I want to re-insert them once they have been flipped right side up? I know that Windows Live Movie Maker has a “Rotate” command but it doesn’t work for selected portions. What can I do? I am using Windows 7 Pro. Thanks!

Does the problem exist in the original .flv file? If not, I suggest converting straight from .flv format to dvd-video using either DVD Flick or AVStoDVD.

Yes, the problem is in the original .flv file. I am going to try using AviSynth to correct it.

Yes, that can be done, but you’ll need to know exact frame numbers on which to start and stop the inversion.

It can probably be done in AviDemux too. Working on the time line and converting to a lossless format like HuffUV avi.

Kerry you know more about this than I do but would it be easiest just to split the movie at the appropriate frames (to separate out the rogue sequences), flip the upside down bits, then recombine?

[B]Wombler[/B]

I definitely am in the Deep End of the Pool with AviSynth. I have downloaded the v2.5 of AviSynth as well as Notepad++ for a text editor. Also got VirtualDub (1.9.11). I have begun reading the “Getting started” with AviSynth mediawiki page. I have created the “test.avs” file and saved it but it won’t open with WMP. Not sure if my 64-bit Win7 is interfering with this (AviSynth is installed in a x86 folder).

Would AviDemux be any “easier” for a newbie to use? I only need to correct 1 video.

If I use AviDemux to flip the rogue sections would I also need to do something with HuffyUV?

You can certainly cut out the sections and flip them, but AviDemux won’t allow you to apply filters if you are simply copying the video. You would have to reencode them using the same video and audio codecs, or go to a lossless codec like HuffUV video and PCM audio.

This doesn’t sound like a simple project, no matter which tools you use.

The first thing I would try would be to convert the existing flv video to Huffuv + PCM audio in an avi container. You can do this in AviDemux. The resulting file will be much, much larger, but you will have virtually no picture quality loss. Then start cutting out sections, good ones and bad ones…process the bad ones again, this time using the 180 degree filter to flip them over. You are still using Huffuv and pcm. At this point you should have the five bad sections and the good ones all in correct orientation, so all you have to do is use the Append function to glue them back together in the correct order.

The major flaw in this scheme is the possibility to lose audio/video synchronization.

It should be possible to simply mark the sections that need to be flipped, then apply the filters to those sections only, and do all of this in one shot as you convert to Huffuv and pcm audio. But I’m not confident of the accuracy of AviDemux in marking and applying the inversion filter. You can certainly try this if you would prefer.

Once you have everything corrected, and playing properly in Huffuv avi format, it is simple to use AVStoDVD to convert to dvd video.

By the way, AviSynth is a powerful editing tool. But it does have a [B]very[/B] steep learning curve. I found your thread over at videohelp.com, and I have to say those guys know AviSynth far better than me. So it is entirely possible to fix your video using Virtualdub and Avisynth scripts.

On those rare occasions when I’ve needed to make AviSynth scripts, I’ve found AvsPmod to be helpful: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AvsP

The only reason I’ve been talking about Huffyuv in this thread is to keep as much of the original quality as possible. It is also better suited for editing on a time line. But this style of video editing is quite different than the script based work with AviSynth.

Kerry,

Thank you for your help and advice. I don’t know if flipping this video is really worth my time.

That’s your call. And not an unusual one. Working with video often does take time and energy, not to mention learning new techniques and tools, so it tends to discourage many people.

I suppose you can watch it on a tablet and flip it over now and again. :bigsmile: