Portable USB DVD-ROM

vbimport

I’m looking for a portable device, that connects with USB so i can hook it to external non-PC media players. I dont care for recording features, only that it reads discs well, is quite, and doesnt have any power issues and malfunctions.

What kinds of discs are you primarily going to be playing on this drive?

Music cds?
Movie dvd discs?
blurays ?
Previously burned discs?
Video game discs?
etc …

[QUOTE=jcroy;2772789]What kinds of discs are you primarily going to be playing on this drive?

Music cds?
Movie dvd discs?
blurays ?
Previously burned discs?
Video game discs?
etc …[/QUOTE]

ITs definitely not going to be video games, and blurays either. DVD discs mostly previously burned of music and movies (dvd structure, and plain media files (avi mkv)

Are you ripping dvd/cd discs mostly? Or is this drive being used to watch/listen to these discs?

For dvd discs with a video_ts directory (ie. movies, etc …), are you also insisting on absolute 100% reading accuracy?

[QUOTE=therock003;2772787]I’m looking for a portable device, that connects with USB so i can hook it to external [B]non-PC media players[/B].[/QUOTE] Non-PC media players generally support USB Hard Drives and USB Flash Drives. I’m not sure if any such players support USB Optical Drives, but I wouldn’t count on it unless you have seen it in the product specifications.

[QUOTE=jcroy;2772791]Are you ripping dvd/cd discs mostly? Or is this drive being used to watch/listen to these discs?

For dvd discs with a video_ts directory (ie. movies, etc …), are you also insisting on absolute 100% reading accuracy?[/QUOTE]

I only want reading capabilities. No decrypting, ripping, recording, or anything else. Its basically i dont have a drive and i want one scenario. Every operation besides that is going to be performed on my desktop so i dont care for anything else.

I have an older LG portable dvd drive which has a “tv connectivity” mode. Allegedly it allows content like photos, music/video files, etc … to be played over usb and onto a TV (most likely an LG branded tv screen).

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to get it work yet, since I don’t own an LG manufactured tv. (This “tv connectivity” mode doesn’t seem to be recognized by TVs manufactured by other companies).

External drives rely on the software of computers to play the DVD-video structure. Your media players may not be able to do this, and it is doubtful that they will accept input from an optical drive in any case.