Portable or internal drive?

vbimport

I want to add a drive for storage. About 1tb or so. Wondering, which is best - internal or external? Is there any advantage to either?

External may be more secure, (safe from Windows crashes, etc), and you can unplug it for safety. Of course, portability is always a benefit. Portable drives use a slower HDD in most cases, but the differences are small.

You can have the best of both worlds by using an external HDD dock.

You have 4 categories to choose from:
Internal
External
Portable
Docking station with bare drive(s).

[QUOTE=baggman;2624412]I want to add a drive for storage. About 1tb or so. Wondering, which is best - internal or external? Is there any advantage to either?[/QUOTE]

For larger and safer storage a ext attached unit is always good to have to store info that you could need access to from a different computer that you can hook it up to as well. But also are we taking about a laptop or desktop your trying to add storage for? I am taking a leap and say a laptop and if so I would say having a ext storage to store more data would help and be secure in case your laptop HDD ever goes out or fails then your data is safe for retrieval and can still access it. But remember ext. storage means you have to carry more parts then just the laptop itself and also if you loose the ext storage your up a creek as well. And if you want portability with laptop having a ext. storage will be more clutter to carry around as well. Some laptop do have two hdd bays but those carry a price to have such expansion but that second HDD could save your data if your main O/S goes out that means your second HDD is still safe. Ext means you have more to carry around and some HDD have extra power cable and some don’t so you have to make sure you know if you want USB powered HDD or wall adapter power plug HDD. I used USB Seagate ext. HDD for my laptop but the ext HDD stays at home for security so I don’t leave it somewhere by accident. But you need to ask what and how much will you need to store on the ext. HDD if the info will still fit on the laptop HDD or if important data then you will need a ext HDD to backup those files just in case the worst case scenario does happen.

I would get an external drive with an eSATA interface. This gives you the same speed as an internal HD drive with the benefits of an external HD.

[QUOTE=UTR;2624524]I would get an external drive with an eSATA interface. This gives you the same speed as an internal HD drive with the benefits of an external HD.[/QUOTE]

And while I also emply eSATA externals for backups
I also have an internal drive for my OS backup that I disconnect when not actually making a fresh backup or testing it.

I do my system backups as a whole drive “Clone”

My Data which is NOT on my system drive at all is backed up to
an active internal drive, an inactive internal drive (usually unplugged)
and an external drive.

And data worth saving is worth saving several times.

AD

It would be for a desktop and I will use for storage only(music, pictures, videos). Thanks for the input/advice. Leaning towards internal.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2624568]And while I also emply eSATA externals for backups
I also have an internal drive for my OS backup that I disconnect when not actually making a fresh backup or testing it.

I do my system backups as a whole drive “Clone”

My Data which is NOT on my system drive at all is backed up to
an active internal drive, an inactive internal drive (usually unplugged)
and an external drive.

And data worth saving is worth saving several times.

AD[/QUOTE]

I have files from the early 1990s that were backed up on tape originally. I have email and fax backups from the same period. I keep multiple copies too on multiple drives with the currently most valuable backed up off-site. I really need to let a lot of the stuff go but just can’t do it out of habit.