Pop ups and virus trouble

vbimport

I have an old compaq: and it was working fine a week ago. now it has “INFECTIONS” that norton can not remove quaranteen or fix. Also, I have about 45 seconds of internet time before i start getting pop ups. Eventually, it freezes up my computer and I cant do anything but a hard restart. Also, norton will not online update, and my security center will not allow me to turn on or modify anything. any suggestions? other than getting a new computer?

Can you boot into safe mode? If so, check which programs are in your startup folder and delete anything suspicious. You can also go to add/remove and try to uninstall whatever doesn’t seem like it belongs. If you can download spybot search&destroy it might help.

Hi,[quote=velocifero;2190237]I have an old compaq: and it was working fine a week ago. now it has “INFECTIONS” that norton can not remove quaranteen or fix. Also, I have about 45 seconds of internet time before i start getting pop ups. Eventually, it freezes up my computer and I cant do anything but a hard restart. Also, norton will not online update, and my security center will not allow me to turn on or modify anything. any suggestions? other than getting a new computer?[/quote]So your system is compromised.
Solution:
Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do? - Microsoft TechNet: Security Management Column

No need to buy a new computer.

[ul]
[li]Reinstall from scratch[/li][li]Make sure you have the latest service packs and security updates installed[/li][li]Do not use an account with administrative permissions for normal work (applies to W2k, XP and newer)[/li][li]Do not rely on so-called security software. It won’t help you.[/li][/ul]

Michael

I am certainly no expert, but I was able to clean up a friends laptop that had been taken over by spyware. I used Spybot search and destroy and www.malwarebytes.org It took a few hours, but the laptop is running fine now. When I first started, I didn’t think I would be able to get it cleaned up. I do not know if these suggestions will help or not, but I would suggest trying them. I do not like wiping the Hard Drive, unless other tools do not work. I have wiped Hard Drive’s, as sometimes there is nothing else that can save the computer. Just my five cents.

Eric

I have used Norton for years. You probably need to do a complete scan in safe mode. The best bet is a complete reinstall. It’s a pain but the best way to go. Try and use Firefox as your browser. I.E. sucks.
Spybot Search and Destroy works great. Killerkane has good advice.

Hi,[quote=killerkane;2192947]I am certainly no expert, but I was able to clean up a friends laptop that had been taken over by spyware.[/quote]You only [B][I]think[/I][/B], it’s clean. You can’t clean a compromised system. Period.

I do not like wiping the Hard Drive, unless other tools do not work.
You should really read the article I mentioned in my previous post.

Michael