Poor video quality

I am having a problem with a movie I just burned to disc. File size was 717,000 kb, avi format. On the burned copy (using AVS Converter 6) using high quality setting onto two 4.7 gb discs the video seems to drag some and I’m not sure why. Audio is fine. Any ideas why it would do this? Discs I’m burning onto are HP DVD-R 16x. Would it help to burn at a lower speed?

I don’t know Avs Converter 6, but I do use AVStoDVD, FAVC(v1.06), ConvertxtoDVD, DVDFlick…Any of those should work just fine…Maybe the source file is bad…And why backup to 2 SL discs?How long is the flick?..FYI, you will always have quality degradation when converting, especially when the source is only ~700mb…Check the bitrate used to encode it…

Movie is just under 2 hours long. AVS Converter just recommended for high quality that it be put on 2 discs.

I’m trying to find a software that will convert AVI files (with no editing needed) to DVD’s. I have Pinnacle Studio but it was taking days for one 2-hour movie. Not sure why. Just trying to find something faster. AVS Converter converted pretty fast (in about 3 hours) and burned in about 15 minutes.

So the burn speed wouldn’t matter?

Not sure about the bit rate. I’m not all that familiar with all the technical terms. What should it be?

Of those programs you mentioned, which would you suggest for what I want to do?

If you want a fast conversion, try ConvertxtoDVD…If you want better quality, but slower I recommend AVStoDVD…Just remember, “better” doesn’t mean “high quality” output…
Trash in, trash out…
See my sig below…
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder…:wink:

Faster encoder may not be best quality encoder. Hence the saying “All good things come to he who waits!”… :slight_smile: Not sure which version of Pinnacle you are using, but their encoder is a pretty good one.

Ok, I looked at the file information from the input and output files. Here is what it says:

Video input file
Size 672 x 300 pixels
Bit rate 741 kbps
Frame rate 25 frames/sec.
Aspect 672:320
Video compression: Microsoft MPEG-4
Duration 1:53:29

Vide output file
Size 352 x 288 pixels
Bit rate 2500 kbps
Frame rate 30 frames/sec.
Aspect 4:3
Video compression MPEG-2

Audio input
Bit rate 112 kbps
Sample rate 48000 hz
Audio format MP3

Audio output
Bit rate 224 kbps
Sample rate 44100 hz
Audio format MP2

I don’t know if this tells you anything or not.

I’m not looking for perfect picture but I do want the audio and video to match up. Right now when people are speaking in the movie it seems that audio is lagging a bit. Also video seems to be somewhat slow, like when people move about there is a lagging.

When you say “better quality” but slower time use AVS to DVD, how slow are you talking? Also is that the name of the product (AVS to DVD). Checked website and found AVS DV to DVD but no AVS to DVD.

Sorry guys if I’m being stupid about this. Just trying to get a movie on disc with quality worth watching that doesn’t take days to do. Nothing too fancy.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD
I don’t know your PC specs, so maybe ~2-4 hrs.

You might want to try out ConvertxtoDVD, it’s trialware, for faster encode…As noted above, “Faster encoder may not be best quality encoder”… However, it may be just fine for you…Try it…

[QUOTE=swolfer;2237014]Ok, I looked at the file information from the input and output files. Here is what it says:

Below, you will see that your video is 672x300 and mpeg4.
Video input file
Size 672 x 300 pixels
Bit rate 741 kbps
Frame rate 25 frames/sec.
Aspect 672:320
Video compression: Microsoft MPEG-4

You are not only converting video, which who knows how many times it was converted before, but you are also changing the size to 352 x 288, and your bit rate is only 2500 (good video is 8000 - 9000 bitrate). Plus you are changing it from 25fps to 30fps and changing aspect ratio
Vide output file
Size 352 x 288 pixels
Bit rate 2500 kbps
Frame rate 30 frames/sec.
Aspect 4:3
Video compression MPEG-2

Audio input
Bit rate 112 kbps
Sample rate 48000 hz
Audio format MP3

Your audio should remain at 48hz if you want it in sync.
Audio output
Bit rate 224 kbps
Sample rate 44100 hz
Audio format MP2

I don’t know if this tells you anything or not.

I’m not looking for perfect picture but I do want the audio and video to match up. Right now when people are speaking in the movie it seems that audio is lagging a bit. Also video seems to be somewhat slow, like when people move about there is a lagging.

When you say “better quality” but slower time use AVS to DVD, how slow are you talking? Also is that the name of the product (AVS to DVD). Checked website and found AVS DV to DVD but no AVS to DVD.

Sorry guys if I’m being stupid about this. Just trying to get a movie on disc with quality worth watching that doesn’t take days to do. Nothing too fancy.[/QUOTE]

You are NEVER going to get good quality by taking video which has already been encoded, then demux and re-encode it, and alter it’s properties. You are making far to many alterations to this video to have any hopes of keeping good quality…

Thank you all for the info!! I have since tried a store bought DVD, ripped it and burned it with AVS Converter 6 and still get the same problem, so I’m guessing it’s the AVS Converter 6 that is causing this. I have done the same procedure previously using Pinnacle Studio 10 without this problem. It just takes SOOOOOO long, like I said – 16 hours for a two hour movie. For instance, encoding and burning a 900,000 kb file where there is a high frame count, it was only burning 1-2 frames per second. You can see how long that would take. I was just looking for something that didn’t take quite as long. I work from home on my computer all day and can’t run it while I’m working because it slows down my computer too much.

BYW - I’m using Dell Dimension DE051, 80 gb hard drive, Celeron 2.53 ghz with 1 gb RAM.

Maybe I’ll try the free version of AVS to DVD and see if that works any better.

Buy (or build) a faster/better computer… you can try/buy all the software you want but, with your computer specs, what you want is a diffucult task

Thanks t0nee1. Tried ConvertxtoDVD and it works wonderfully. Good quality and encoding and burning in less than an hour and a half. Just what I was looking for. Thanks again for all your help!!

[QUOTE=swolfer;2237329]Thank you all for the info!! I have since tried a store bought DVD, ripped it and burned it with AVS Converter 6 and still get the same problem, so I’m guessing it’s the AVS Converter 6 that is causing this. I have done the same procedure previously using Pinnacle Studio 10 without this problem. It just takes SOOOOOO long, like I said – 16 hours for a two hour movie. For instance, encoding and burning a 900,000 kb file where there is a high frame count, it was only burning 1-2 frames per second. You can see how long that would take. I was just looking for something that didn’t take quite as long. I work from home on my computer all day and can’t run it while I’m working because it slows down my computer too much.

BYW - I’m using Dell Dimension DE051, 80 gb hard drive, Celeron 2.53 ghz with 1 gb RAM.

Maybe I’ll try the free version of AVS to DVD and see if that works any better.[/QUOTE]

All of the major video editing softwares recommend that you have two separate HD’s. One for your software, and one for data. A celeron with 1gb memory is not very good for doing video editing work. Video editing uses a lot of cpu and memory.

I do have two hard drives – sorry forgot to mention that!! I have a 500 gb external drive that I keep my data on.

Anyway things are working wonderfully now. Thanks!