Poor encryption on WD “My PassPort” drives

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Poor encryption on WD “My PassPort” drives[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/10/Western-digital-my-passport-logo-95x75.png[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/poor-encryption-on-wd-my-passport-drives-77599/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The question begs what and where are these people hooking those drives up to? Hopefully not a Server Drives? And if your taking your drive and using them on Public computer then you deserve to be hacked. They are for backup and to be home use not for Official use or Public usage.

It’s kind of moot. I only buy external WD drives because they are cheaper that internal WD drives.  I gut them and put the drives in other devices (which most likely use no encryption).

It seems to me that hardware-based encryption is probably not a good idea. After all, hardware manufactures are not going to update the firmware for their manufactured devices after a few years, assuming they update the firmware at all. Software is another story, since software authors are far more likely to write updates, especially if the software is developed by a community of FOSS developers.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2762429]It seems to me that hardware-based encryption is probably not a good idea. After all, hardware manufactures are not going to update the firmware for their manufactured devices after a few years, assuming they update the firmware at all. Software is another story, since software authors are far more likely to write updates, especially if the software is developed by a community of FOSS developers.[/QUOTE]

After tossing around a couple of ideas, I’d have to say I agree with this. That’s probably the most secure route barring multiple-factor authentication (which might be overkill for accessing a consumer hard drive).

Security is hard.