Poor 8X- Burns NEC 3500

Hi folks,
I just purchased a new ND3500AG drive and have had 3 coasters out of 5 with it already. I burned a CMC mag E01 8X+ at 8X with firmware 2.16 which was a coaster. I then tried another CMC mag E01 disc with Mad Dog 2.F9 at 8X which was good.
I also tried 2 TYG02 8X- at 8X with the Mad Dog firmware with really terrible results. (2nd Scan attached) I noticed during the 8X burns with Nero 6.6 that the buffer level went from 99% to 6% on 4 occasions. Is this normal?
I have the drive connected as secondary slave with a liteon 451@832S as master. Would I get better results if the NEC was master?
Can anyone explain these poor burns?

Something is wrong with your scanner… if you had contants pi failures at 100 like that you wouldn’t be even able to read the disc…

Fake TYG02???

Your burner should be the master and make sure that DMA is enabled (on both the reader and the writer)
These may be fake TY disc. Try some known good media. Best Buy has TDK 8x +R and -R on sale this week for $9.99 for a 25 cake box. If these burn good, then I would suspect the TY media as fakes.

May be a faulty scanner, how could I prove this? Although it doesn’t explain the 3 / 5 discs that won’t play on anything other than my two writers. Also no reason to think the TYG02 are fakes. One of my friend owns a NEC 3500 and is having no problems with these discs, I borrowed them from him. Strange!!!

try with nero cd/dvd if read graphic is good it was a bad scanner

Thanks BRCN.
Scanned it with Nero CD\DVD (scan attached). Never used it before, so not sure if I selected the proper test. Doesn’t look good to me.

i`ll try and answer a couple of your questions scootz.

I noticed during the 8X burns with Nero 6.6 that the buffer level went from 99% to 6% on 4 occasions. Is this normal?

the drive buffer will drop and the burner light will flash - yes is normal

I have the drive connected as secondary slave with a liteon 451@832S as master. Would I get better results if the NEC was master?

this is always recomended, but more info might be need to solve your problem.

ps almost forgot yes that is a horrible scan :Z

I can´t agree on this one acko. This is only recommended when you hook up a DVDRW on same IDE-channel as a HDD.
Here we have a fight of “master” and you know how saying goes; “there are alway two, a master and a apprentice”. :wink:

scootz, try to move your drive to master. Donno know your setup, but a DVDRW prefers share with CDRW.
BTW, I have mine 3500 as a master together with a HDD [C:] IDE-0, no problem.
:slight_smile:

Note. Not all media can be burned at rated speed… not even by a NEC, heh he. :smiley:

I can´t agree on this one acko. This is only recommended when you hook up a DVDRW on same IDE-channel as a HDD.

:o sorry i wasnt aware of that, i was just quoting from wesocietys guide.

i`ve got my 3500ag sec/mast and 811s sec/slave, and both burn happly there.

regards

acko :slight_smile:

off topic

No CSL and jumper to master, gives you only one option; MASTER. :wink:

/off topic :slight_smile:

look like fake TY

how do u tell if its fake or not?

There is any evidence and any manufacturer preference that which drive must be in master and which one in slave position. All there is to it that if you have one reader and one writer or two writers they both can be installed at any combination with hard drive (then the writer or reader must be at slave) or both at secondary controller with one as a master another one as slave no preference what so ever.

That might have been truth some time ago… But you obviously missed my post above. :wink:

real TY have a printed serial in the centre that contains the letters GG
fakes don’t have GG anywhere in the serial

if your buying off the net, how wuld u kno if they selling the real ones or not? im looking at http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1733-100&Category_Code=DVPTY

Yo Drewness-

If you buy from www.rima.com - rest assured that you will not only get the real stuff - but you are assured of getting “A” grade media from them-

Buying from Rima is always an assurance for lowest price and best service-

Mike

The discs that have the poor burns have a serial number on them with no GG in it.
Serial number is DVD-R T1M1 D 2 2 0408050011-829
This may well be the problem.
As a matter of interest anyone know what these discs might be?

i c…thx mike