Poll: Scant demand for Microsoft's Windows 8

vbimport

anyone but Microsoft could see people were not buying windows 8

I’m shocked! SHOCKED!

I was just seeing that Win7 has surpassed WinXP lately.

Gee… I guess those Win98 sales might have slowed a bit, too.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2662810]I’m shocked! SHOCKED!

I was just seeing that Win7 has surpassed WinXP lately.

Gee… I guess those Win98 sales might have slowed a bit, too.[/QUOTE]

Wow geeze la weezse… why am I not surprised myself…institutions just starting moving over to windows 7 and now they are suppose to move to windoze 8. Like that is going to move a mountain and also the cost to migrate isn’t a simple pay and go.

Some PCs in my university still run NT4.0.
Some people still keep up with XP. Why? Because XP is enough for them and they see no purpose in migrating even to Windows 7.
And while the latter may have some significant advantages worth migrating I personally don’t see much benefits in migrating to Win8. Yes, the new task manager is fine; yes, now it can mount *.iso without any additional programs; native USB 3.0 support — well, this is interesting etc. But still it doesn’t make me want install Win8.

Just about every PC we administer still uses applications as their prime directive. Not the OS. The ones that are OS-centric are the “play” computers for some clients that don’t do productive work. They didn’t do productive work on DOS, Mac, Linux or anything else. They all want Win8, though, trying to plead their case for greater productivity.

“But it’s going to wipe out your scores in Frogger.”

“Oh? Ohhhh. Well. Maybe in a few months, then.”

I once made the mistake of joking that “Gray was the New Black” and the woman bought nothing but gray. It matched her complexion. NOT a good thing. Of course, raccoon eyes ladled on with spatulas didn’t help in the first place. I’ve wondered what would happen if I casually mentioned “food stains down your front are the New Black”? I’m pretty tempted.

[I]Frau Blucher!![/I]

This reminds me of the Microsoft Kinect:

I have a hard drive for one notebook I have setup with the last pre-release version of windows8

Anytime I’m asked about “8” I let the person play with the computer.

Sofar nobody’s been able to mess with it for more than 5-10min without walking away in disgust, and often a “please forget I asked”

ROTFLMAO.

Anyhoo …

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2663299]I have a hard drive for one notebook I have setup with the last pre-release version of windows8

Anytime I’m asked about “8” I let the person play with the computer.

Sofar nobody’s been able to mess with it for more than 5-10min without walking away in disgust, and often a “please forget I asked”[/QUOTE]

You might be onto something give them a desktop with W8 not touch screen tablet or touch screen desktop and ask them to navigate and move between windows screens and they learn really fast as what you did do. This O/S was made for tablet thinking all of use lame brain Windows users would jump boat and go and buy a tablet or touch screen not going to happen. Not everyone has M$ money to spend to get the O/S when W7 just came out and is not only surpass XP but did better then Vista in consumer approval and likeability. Adn business and Institution just made the switch to W7 and like their tax base or share or investor aren’t going to jump to W8 when they spend all that money on the W7 switch already. There isn’t a pot of money to flow around in this tight recession or slow job growth to spend money like water.

I understand the executive responsible for windows 8 has been given his marching orders / quit from microsoft …

If this was ancient Japan, he’d be throwing himself on his sword …

[QUOTE=debro;2663916]I understand the executive responsible for windows 8 has been given his marching orders / quit from microsoft …

If this was ancient Japan, he’d be throwing himself on his sword …[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure he’s the same idiot that was responsible for the IE9 add on gallery… where you choose your default search provider…

It uses the exact same “tiles” scheme, I hated this with IE8, IE9 and now get to hate it with Windows8.

Personally I would find another way to deal with the person responsible, impalement, to be far more appropriate.

THE problem with IE8 is that microsoft INSISTED on removing the start menu and a conventional desktop. If I could IGNORE tiles by default I could just change settings and IGNORE it and just use it like Windows7

That I could deal with, it is this forcing me to do everything their new way that pisses me off.

THE problem with IE8 is that microsoft INSISTED on removing the start menu and a conventional desktop. If I could IGNORE tiles by default I could just change settings and IGNORE it and just use it like Windows7

Yeah, that. I liked that you could keep ‘classic’ style in XP. Put up with Aero in W7. If it didn’t run Media Center a bit better on my Atom/ION rig I wouldn’t have it at all.

I have noticed that the reviews on Newegg for Windows 8 have been less than stellar. It is looking more and more like it will be a dud and will make Vista look good in comparison.

[QUOTE=UTR;2663951]I have noticed that the reviews on Newegg for Windows 8 have been less than stellar. It is looking more and more like it will be a dud and will make Vista look good in comparison.[/QUOTE]

Yeap, one poster I agree to disagree but yes it’s beginning to look to make Vista even look better… lmao…