Poll of the day: Using an adblocker is theft

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Poll of the day: Using an adblocker is theft[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/02/adblock-95x75.jpeg[/newsimage]

The increasing usage of adblockers worries publishers, because it hurts their revenues. Visitors with an adblocker enabled they don’t make them a anything, while those visitors do have access to free content. Some publishers argue that using an adblocker is a form of theft, what about you?

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/poll-day-using-adblocker-theft-79261/](http://www.myce.com/news/poll-day-using-adblocker-theft-79261/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I use very ad blocker I can find. I like Admuncher cause its free now and works well.

The way I see it is that I have a right to block their ads and they have a right to block me for blocking their ads. The question that remains to be answered is do they need web traffic more than I need to read their web pages.

I don’t mind ads if they are non-invasive. When they throw popup windows in my face, make unwanted noise, redirect me off a page, consume most of the page area etc. then they jump the shark with me.

No doubt about it… Low security add servers are easy targets for hackers and a threat. Then comes the invasion of my surfing experience as UTR mentions.
I have been using hosts file blocking on some of my computers and ad-blockers on others. I have yet to let my guard down and give in to sites that does not want to show the contents on my visit… Very little informational content has just one source and news contents originates from a source… so it’s onward to the next site…

[QUOTE=UTR;2773376]The question that remains to be answered is do they need web traffic more than I need to read their web pages[/QUOTE]
They do :iagree:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2773377]No doubt about it… Low security add servers are easy targets for hackers and a threat. Then comes the invasion of my surfing experience as UTR mentions.
I have been using hosts file blocking on some of my computers and ad-blockers on others. [B][I]I have yet to let my guard down and give in to sites that does not want to show the contents on my visit…[/I][/B] Very little informational content has just one source and news contents originates from a source… so it’s onward to the next site…[/QUOTE]

I have not given in either. It would take a mighty interesting web page to make me turn off ad blocking.

No it’s not theft.

Websites can choose whether to display ads, and I can choose not to view them.
Just like TV channels can choose to run ads, and I can choose not to watch them.

Also, too many ads can ruin performance and can contain malware or phishing.

[QUOTE=UTR;2773376]The way I see it is that I have a right to block their ads and they have a right to block me for blocking their ads. The question that remains to be answered is do they need web traffic more than I need to read their web pages.
I don’t mind ads if they are non-invasive. When they throw popup windows in my face, make unwanted noise, redirect me off a page, consume most of the page area etc. then they jump the shark with me.[/QUOTE]That’s the problem in the beginning the ads didn’t block or interfere with a web site when you went there and now it’s in YOUR FACE. Not something anyone needs.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2773377]No doubt about it… Low security add servers are easy targets for hackers and a threat. Then comes the invasion of my surfing experience as UTR mentions.
I have been using hosts file blocking on some of my computers and ad-blockers on others. I have yet to let my guard down and give in to sites that does not want to show the contents on my visit… Very little informational content has just one source and news contents originates from a source… so it’s onward to the next site…
They do :iagree:[/QUOTE]I been using since 2000 the pc hosts blocker ever since they became intrusive and drove me nuts trying to get rid of them. But now I can surf with ease and actually enjoy the internet as before.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2773379]No it’s not theft.
Also, too many ads can ruin performance and can contain malware or phishing.[/QUOTE]
That’s a understatement here…

[B]Is adblocking theft?[/B]

[ul]
[li]No, because advertisements too often contain malware (52%, 16 Votes)[/li]> [li]No, I wouldn’t buy anything on those advertisements anyway (29%, 9 Votes)[/li]> [li]Other, please explain below: (16%, 5 Votes)[/li]> [li]Yes, because you take away the revenue of a website (3%, 1 Votes)[/li]> [li]Yes, you get something for free, which isn’t actually free (0%, 0 Votes)[/li]> [/ul]
Total Voters: [B]31[/B]

I think this sums it correctly

I use Adguard and have for years I do not want ads in my face it is very annoying if there is a website like myce and i want to see the ads I just unblock the site with one click and I can see them.

Ebay is a site I use Adguard at times I get tired of seeing ads from other retailers like walmart…

I make use of Ad Muncher and a few other tools on PC and Adguard for Android. As much as I detest ads on a PC the experience is far worse on mobile devices these days.

With respect to “theft” it could be argued that those foisting obnoxious ads on people are stealing our bandwidth, data, screen real estate, and endangering our devices.

I simply don’t have any sympathy given the current approaches to most online advertising.

Ad blockers do deprive websites of revenue, but it surely can’t be seen as theft.

Can you imagine walking into a high street store in a cold winters day, browsing around the store and walking out without buying anything, and then been accused of using their heat without paying for it.

Can you imagine them having a big sign outside the shop saying ‘you must buy something if you enter this store’.

Some websites and advertisers are their own worst enemies. Most people don’t mind discrete and sensible advertising - but I, like many others, started to use an ad blocker to stop sites taking over my browser or Android apps with full page ads, pop-ups or redirects, etc.

Most of the time, I found those ads quite annoying, especially those pop-up ones when landing a webpage, which seriously interrupts my surfing experience. This is why I always use adblocker on my laptop.

Personally, not any form of theft to me!:smiley:

From what I can see, it’s the ad-providers dreadful tactics that has caused the massive growth in adblock usage.

Ad-banners should contain a static clickable image or text and certainly nothing nothing more than a video clip or animated gif.

Most ads on websites use scripts and cookies and where’s there’s code, there’s going to be criminals that try finding vulnerabilities to drop malware, throw pop-ups or redirect the user. This would be very difficult to perform if ad providers were only allowed to provide a set of ad images and target links to where clicked images lead the user to.

My worst experience for ads was around 2005 when every second or third webpage I opened on most websites (including CD Freaks) resulted in one or two pop-ups. At that stage, I used Ad Block as the ads were severely crippling my satellite connection (300kbps), not to mention eating into my 1.5GB/month usage allowance. Back then, the most common malware was diallers, which on a dial-up connection would drop the existing connection and reconnect the user to a premium rate #.

I haven’t used an ad-blocker in a few years and now mainly avoid websites that serve pop-up or flash over advertising. I also stopped using Flash since about a year ago which has also reduced the number of annoying ads. For the few websites I need flash on (mainly BBC News videos), I just open that page in Chrome browser and return to Firefox afterwards.

Personally I don’t consider ad-blockers theft. However, I’m sure some people would also argue that ads are stealing their bandwidth, especially on mobile data connections where the user pays per MB.

[QUOTE=Seán;2773427]From what I can see, it’s the ad-providers dreadful tactics that has caused the massive growth in adblock usage.

Ad-banners should contain a static clickable image or text and certainly nothing nothing more than a video clip or animated gif.

Most ads on websites use scripts and cookies and where’s there’s code, there’s going to be criminals that try finding vulnerabilities to drop malware, throw pop-ups or redirect the user. This would be very difficult to perform if ad providers were only allowed to provide a set of ad images and target links to where clicked images lead the user to.

My worst experience for ads was around 2005 when every second or third webpage I opened on most websites (including CD Freaks) resulted in one or two pop-ups. At that stage, I used Ad Block as the ads were severely crippling my satellite connection (300kbps), not to mention eating into my 1.5GB/month usage allowance. Back then, the most common malware was diallers, which on a dial-up connection would drop the existing connection and reconnect the user to a premium rate #.

I haven’t used an ad-blocker in a few years and now mainly avoid websites that serve pop-up or flash over advertising. I also stopped using Flash since about a year ago which has also reduced the number of annoying ads. For the few websites I need flash on (mainly BBC News videos), I just open that page in Chrome browser and return to Firefox afterwards.

Personally I don’t consider ad-blockers theft. However, I’m sure some people would also argue that ads are stealing their bandwidth, especially on mobile data connections where the user pays per MB.[/QUOTE]
Have you tried my PC hosts edits on the links I provided. It’s by far outstretches any that requires a third party software to run when it runs from the Windows O/S itself already. And I have flash installed and have no problems going to sites that before if I didn’t have the hosts edit installed would bombard my system with ads and like you said waste my bandwidth which cost money as those ads don’t pay to waste your bandwidth. Now if they paid me then I wouldn’t mind but one knows like in H666 they would do that in the first place.

I started using in the 2000’s just because during that time the ads become more malware/bloatware then just ads.

What, exactly, surprises us about this ad blocking thing? This is not a new argument. What kind of warped minds in the advertising world come up with this crap?

“TV Network Execs Contemplate Going To Court To Say Skipping Commercials Is Illegal” – from a TechDirt article.

In my mind, their theft of my internet bandwidth (which I pay dearly for) and screen space, without my explicit consent, is a greater case of theft.

BTW, if you’ve ever wondered why all the browsers have gone to the “Minimalistic” format, hiding some of the most-used functions, when most people have 22” or larger widescreen monitors and can well afford the screen space a couple of useful toolbars would take up, it’s really simple. It’s to allow more space for ADVERTISING!

Believe me folks, the technology exists to make your TV remote become unresponsive and unable to lower the volume, mute, change channels or shut off your TV during a commercial. You’ve already seen it in DVDs. They’re called “User Prohibited Operations” (UPO). Your cable or satellite provider would love to implement this for their broadcasts, but right now they’re afraid of the backlash. It won’t be too long before they overcome their reluctance and it will come to pass.

So what else is new?

iirc the european union recently ruled that trying to determine if a person was using an adblocker is a invasion of privacy and against the law. hopefully the us courts could be persuaded to rule the same way and ad blocking will be a person’s right.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2773380]I been using since 2000 the pc hosts blocker ever since they became intrusive and drove me nuts trying to get rid of them. But now I can surf with ease and actually enjoy the internet as before.[/QUOTE]

That is the same as I’m using too and it works great :iagree: - Not too flexible as for whitelisting sites, but now that I got a MyCE VM with no adblocker at all, I find that it is my go-to for new installs.

For the rest of you wanting to check it out, go to this thread, hit the last page and download the most recent upload :flower:

Maybe some of you might find the perspective of a publisher/website owner intresting? :wink:

If everyone blocked ads on our site, it could no longer exist. Bills have to be paid, like for everyone. Advertising is a way that can be win-win-win for all involved parties. The visitor gets his content for free, the advertiser generates awareness or traffic to his website and the publisher is able to do its job while getting paid for it.

Therefore I really hope that users ‘reward’ sites that are moderate with advertisements by whitelisting them. I personally don’t use an adblocker, I simply don’t visit sites for which I think the advertising doesn’t weigh up to the content. On Myce.com the advertisements are mainly plain pictures, even without tracking Javascript. This is possible due to very loyal supporters/advertisers for which I’m very grateful.

I do understand why people use adblockers, on some sites it goes off limits, the balance is gone. I do know from when we did have such advertisements that they do generate a lot of money. E.g. video ads and popups work(ed) and paid well. But I want to run my site in such a way that it should have as much ads, as I myself, as an independent visitors would feel happy with.

^… and in that you succeed, which is why I stress the fact that this site should be whitelisted :iagree:
Like you say, bills has to be paid or else you’re soon enough offline and so no myce.com or club.myce.com. Personally, I know that if I am to buy something advertised on this site, I will do so by clicking the ad on this site to honor your work and show my support. Others may not have the same clear vision on this subject, but I feel at least we as forum members have a responsibility towards the site :flower:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2773451]Therefore I really hope that users ‘reward’ sites that are moderate with advertisements by whitelisting them. I personally don’t use an adblocker, I simply don’t visit sites for which I think the advertising doesn’t weigh up to the content. On Myce.com the advertisements are mainly plain pictures, even without tracking Javascript. This is possible due to very loyal supporters/advertisers for which I’m very grateful.[/QUOTE]

You make a good point. In fact, I just checked my ad blocker plugin and made sure it was disabled for this site.