Poll of the day: I don’t care about privacy, I have nothing to hide

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Poll of the day: I don’t care about privacy, I have nothing to hide[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2010/09/Online-Privacy.jpg[/newsimage]

Privacy is currently a hot-item, especially on the internet which makes it easier than ever to track the behaviour and whereabouts of a person.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/poll-day-dont-care-privacy-nothing-hide-79183/](http://www.myce.com/news/poll-day-dont-care-privacy-nothing-hide-79183/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Put this way if you can see the internet they can see you back in return. It goes both ways if you really want privacy. Disconnect from the internet that will stop all your privacy concerns.

I don’t care about privacy, I have nothing to hide

I’d answer the poll if it weren’t for privacy concerns about how you’ll use the data! :bigsmile:

There are several aspects here, where I am concerned is on the principal level and so there is at least one alternative missing:

x I aint got nothing to hide, but am still scared shitless about how this develops.

Much of the larger picture surveillance including the one done by your operating system (Win 7-10) and other program installations would have been illegal in the pre-internet days, but even so many are making a joke out of it already. A joke I have a hard time finding funny.

The fact that I get local music-/computer-/whatever- shop advertisements when I surf a site in India, is more of an irritation, one I have handled and so I get the expected advertisements from India, Japan, U.S.A. whatever else but my local online shops.

The fact that ALL our e-mails are harvested and even though initially only automatically analyzed is more severe. None opened our snailmail yesteryear now did they? Is it o.k. that they open our electronic communication?
It is not so that they catch one single terrorist because of this as they already have their communication heavily crypted (including their phone communication) and so this is surveillance of the general population only.

and so on… and since the communication to this forum is not secured, whatever I write in here could potentially be intercepted on the way which by the way is not the same as the message being searchable here on the forum. The fact that I use the word terror as in terrorism makes it more likely that it is intercepted in this case. Personally I really do not care, but I find it troublesome on the principal level that we can not discuss freely as it only applies to ordinary people like you and me.

All medical records in Norway are online through nhn.no, a so called secure portal for all doctors and other health care institutions… And how long will it take before the insurance business finds a way to tap into it? When your son or daughter can’t get insurance against anything concerning the lungs because your father and great grandmother both had the same and it seems to pop up every second generation. You do not have anything to hide, would it be o.k.?

Every time we travel by air to a destination, we are harassed and made into doing all kinds of stupid human tricks to no effect at all.
It is actually totally pointless apart from telling us that yes, there are terrorists out there and we are going to use that excuse for whatever it is worth to place the general population under surveillance. They know that terrorists would not take their devastating payload through the security check anyway but find other ways to get it on board just like that bomb on the plane in Egypt recently.

The longer this general surveillance is allowed to continue, the lesser the individual’s right to privacy becomes and the more violent the fight to regain it. It is only a few hundred years since we were fighting for our freedom of speech and our privacy, is it o.k. to let it go just because we got nothing to hide?

Over the last 16 months, as I’ve debated this issue around the world, every single time somebody has said to me, “I don’t really worry about invasions of privacy because I don’t have anything to hide.” I always say the same thing to them. I get out a pen, I write down my email address. I say, “Here’s my email address. What I want you to do when you get home is email me the passwords to all of your email accounts, not just the nice, respectable work one in your name, but all of them, because I want to be able to just troll through what it is you’re doing online, read what I want to read and publish whatever I find interesting. After all, if you’re not a bad person, if you’re doing nothing wrong, you should have nothing to hide.” Not a single person has taken me up on that offer.

Glenn Greenwald in Why privacy matters - TED Talk

On to my personal opinion(s):

Not caring about your privacy is about the same as not caring about yourself and the people that depend on you.

Not having privacy is about the same as living naked in public while always loudly screaming every thought that pops up in your mind.

There are countlesss reasons why you should have privacy ranging from going to the bathroom in private to enjoy your religion without fearing what others think of you.

If you have nothing to hide, then why do you do weird things when you are convinced you are alone?

For instance: Why are you startled when someone records your bad singing performance while you were having a shower?

One issue that I’ve only seen pointed out on rare occasion is what happens when a domestic abuse victim gets spied on by his/her abuser? This victim might legitimately have nothing to hide: “I just said Christian Bale was a better Batman than Michael Keaton. I didn’t think he’d hurt me again. Last time he went overboard about something, he said he was sorry, and he’d never beat me again.” Since “he” is obviously unstable enough to become violent over a discussion about actors, the best thing the victim can do (aside from removing this abuser from their life) is to avoid giving “him” ammunition as often as possible. If the victim leaves, said victim will probably need plenty of anonymity to avoid being hunted down by “him.”

Of course, there’s also the issue of whistle blowers. When a group of people, such as a large government, does something they shouldn’t be doing, whistle blowers can be our first, last, and only line of defense. If the government knows everything about everyone, they probably will punish that person for doing the right thing. This will create a chilling effect, which said government will be all too eager to accept. If I know someone is doing something wrong, I shouldn’t be penalized for trying to fix the problem.