Poll of the day: Getting infected by ransomware is for stupid people

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Poll of the day: Getting infected by ransomware is for stupid people[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2013/12/Cryptolocker-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Infections with ransomware are on the rise. The new type of malware encrypts files which renders them unusable. In order to decrypt the files a ransom has to be paid. The majority of the infections comes from users opening malicious email attachments. Are they simply stupid or can it happen to anyone?

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/poll-day-getting-infected-ransomware-stupid-people-79190/](http://www.myce.com/news/poll-day-getting-infected-ransomware-stupid-people-79190/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It can happen to anyone, but it’s much less likely to happen to cautious people.
Stupidity is not a requirement for getting infected, but carelessness sure helps.

^:iagree: Cautiousness and scepticism, the ultimate best first line of defense against malware.

My vote is for stupidity. :wink:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Alan…LOL

[QUOTE=alan1476;2773017]My vote is for stupidity. ;)[/QUOTE] I’m rather against it myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone can act stupidly, whether they are stupid of not. So the premise of the question is what’s stupid.

Well put this way Stupid actions gets infections. No way around it.

Most infections undoubtedly require user stupidity. But not all… :wink:

Just being careful used to offer sufficient protection - for many years that was my only line of defence. There was even a time when you could leave a SMTP server open for anyone to use as an informal public service, without it being hijacked by spammers.

But that was all a very long time ago, before our private playground was taken over by vandals.

However in the specific case of ransomeware, the major consequence of being infected is entirely down to stupidity. As any sensible person can be up and running again in a couple of hours, after restoring everything important from a backup. :iagree::stuck_out_tongue:

You go to delete it and your mouse jumps, you twitch , your child/grand child bumps you.

So no not always stupidity sometimes accidents happen and your hit.

^ I’d say that would be a stupid mistake
On a serious note, how many years is it possible to live without doing something stupid? I know I have done stupid things I am in no way proud of, at least in retrospect :doh:and so learned a lesson - In other words, it will not happen again :wink:

There are however some individuals who are more skilled in being stupid than others, doing exactly the same mistake over and over. They get infected and fails even the first thought ‘Why did I get infected?’ let alone the next one ‘What can I do about it?’. When you do that ‘trick’ three times over, stupid becomes more of a profession…

Happy-go-lucky clicking any and all obvious bad links in their way with only an antivirus to protect them. Absolutely careless free-surfing - for as long as it lasts - Fix - Repeat - Fix - Repeat - Buy new Computer - Repeat…:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2773087]Most infections undoubtedly require user stupidity. But not all… ;)[/QUOTE]I think for the most part it is all actions from the user.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2773087]Just being careful used to offer sufficient protection - for many years that was my only line of defence. There was even a time when you could leave a SMTP server open for anyone to use as an informal public service, without it being hijacked by spammers. [/QUOTE]Like using a “Limited” account instead they use the Owner/Admin account which is what the malware wants you to use to install their malware.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2773087]But that was all a very long time ago, before our private playground was taken over by vandals.[/QUOTE]Actually they were their already it’s that in this day and age of instant click gratification they are more pronounced now.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2773087]However in the specific case of ransomeware, the major consequence of being infected is entirely down to stupidity. As any sensible person can be up and running again in a couple of hours, after restoring everything important from a backup. :iagree::p[/QUOTE]You think the General population is tech savvy but they aren’t. And that is why the infections goes on.

Everyone can get their computer infected…if it would apply to stupid people only,I’d probably be 1 of the 1st… :D.
But so far,nothing YET! :smiley:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2773198]Everyone can get their computer infected…if it would apply to stupid people only,I’d probably be 1 of the 1st… :D.
But so far,nothing YET! :D[/QUOTE]
I hate to burst your bubble but I am not [B]Everyone[/B].

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2773214]I hate to burst your bubble but I am not [B]Everyone[/B].[/QUOTE] I’m pretty sure that, according to textbook definition, you are. :smiley:

A while ago I got an infection myself. I had been using a freeware disk defragmenter for years without problems. I had also disabled automatic updates. But one day the software updated itself automatically anyway and hijacked my homepage and some other things.

Any software company you trust today could be taken over by evil malware distributors, or whatever they like to call themselves, and you could be infected by no fault of your own.

Don’t think you are immune to the dangers of the internet.

BTW it was IOBit Smart Defrag, and I’m never using any of their software ever again.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2773216]I’m pretty sure that, according to textbook definition, you are. :smiley:

A while ago I got an infection myself. I had been using a freeware disk defragmenter for years without problems. I had also disabled automatic updates. But one day the software updated itself automatically anyway and hijacked my homepage and some other things.

Any software company you trust today could be taken over by evil malware distributors, or whatever they like to call themselves, and you could be infected by no fault of your own.

Don’t think you are immune to the dangers of the internet.

BTW it was IOBit Smart Defrag, and I’m never using any of their software ever again.[/QUOTE]
I custom software install that way one catch stealth ware from installing and you get only the software you want and I also disable software updates except Windows and MSE updates. That’s the problem we like to pigeon hole people but when it doesn’t match how were suppose to think. If I want a software update I will go and check the site myself and if I feel the update is legit then I will download to install later.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2773232]I custom software install that way one catch stealth ware from installing and you get only the software you want and I also disable software updates except Windows and MSE updates. That’s the problem we like to pigeon hole people but when it doesn’t match how were suppose to think. If I want a software update I will go and check the site myself and if I feel the update is legit then I will download to install later.[/QUOTE]…and that only works if the software isn’t secretly ignoring the setting for disabling automatic updates like in my example.

As long as you install software from the internet and you’re connected to the internet, you can never be sure that something doesn’t suddenly turn Trojan Horse on you and unleashes its load of Greek warriors.

You may think you’re safe because you take care and because you’re smart, but that only minimizes the risk of getting infected - it doesn’t eliminate the risk!

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2773260]…and that only works if the software isn’t secretly ignoring the setting for disabling automatic updates like in my example.

As long as you install software from the internet and you’re connected to the internet, you can never be sure that something doesn’t suddenly turn Trojan Horse on you and unleashes its load of Greek warriors.

You may think you’re safe because you take care and because you’re smart, but that only minimizes the risk of getting infected - it doesn’t eliminate the risk![/QUOTE]

I agree entirely. :iagree:

There’s a limit to how many precautions you can take and there’s only so much you can do to make things safer but if you’re online then there’s always some degree of risk.

Even backups can be compromised so that’s not foolproof either.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2773260]You may think you’re safe because you take care and because you’re smart, but that only minimizes the risk of getting infected - it doesn’t eliminate the risk![/QUOTE]

:clap::clap:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2773260]…and that only works if the software isn’t secretly ignoring the setting for disabling automatic updates like in my example.[/QUOTE]
The question remains in this case… Why did the program have internet access in the first place? That outbound default of allow ought to die, sooner better than later, it’s not too much work once it is initially configured (could take a while to get there though) :flower:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2773260] As long as you install software from the internet and you’re connected to the internet, you can never be sure that something doesn’t suddenly turn Trojan Horse on you and unleashes its load of Greek warriors.[/QUOTE]
Yep, just one so far undetected and unpatched vulnerability and that Malware elevates no matter your user account privelege. Online means vulnerable :frowning:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2773260] You may think you’re safe because you take care and because you’re smart, but that only minimizes the risk of getting infected - it doesn’t eliminate the risk![/QUOTE]
:clap: Thinking you are safe is a vulnerability in it self :iagree: