Politicians

vbimport

Is it just me who has such low opinions about politicians :Z ? Just English people (where we have a group of slimy monkeys for a government) or everyone? :confused:

[rant]

*Politician Deffinition; :Z (in my opinion)

Man/woman with dubious social ideas.

Primary interest – getting re-elected (and other self serving things)

Secondary interest - paying self as much money as possible

Tertiary interests - Putting in “traffic calming” (motorist enraging) measures, pedestrian zones, and getting rid of parking spaces to really annoy people.

Other Minor interests - Oh yes what was i elected to do apart from the above hum… :confused: oh yes i remember trying to make life bettter for my constituents and represent there interests…

Other characteristics and tendencies to note no note:

:frowning: Politicians are never straight forward they are always conniving and scheming they are underhand and misleading creeping about in the proverbial shadows particularly when it comes to raising taxes which they do deviously and then almost plain faced lie about.

:frowning: Politicians are normally people who have very little knowledge/experience of life out side of politics. Where they do, it is generally short because they were no good at it so they went into politics, and hence have no idea what they should actually be doing.

:frowning: Politicians can not be trusted they never give you a straight answer to a straight question, and when they do give you an answer that looks as though it might actually relate to the specifics of the question you asked, don’t expect it to be true, or the politician to act accordingly for more than the next 5 seconds.

:frowning: Never believe politicians statistics – they are generally very selective and doctored with all sorts of clauses so they seem to back up what the politician wants to say is happening even if all other evidence is to the contrary.

:frowning: Politicians are easily board its too much effort for them to do what they ought to be doing, :confused: so they gather into clubs with other politicians to make pointless and waste full laws (so it looks like they do something other than gear/cheer like a drunken mob in a big building). The clubs also known as regional assembly, the various European commissions, and the European parliament, serve mainly to waste public money, create jobs for more spivey politicians, create more beaurocracy so nothing gets done, indulge in social/political experiments like the EU to perpetuate the situation.

[/rant]

Right that feels better :slight_smile: - more than the usual 10cents worth.

I doubt anyone has a positive view of politicians. You are right nb politicians only seek re-election and when their term is almost up, they seek to leave a legacy. Either way, regular people get screwed.

So , if you all were in politics things would of course be different ?

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere

People who would do it different don’t go in politics. :slight_smile: But you guys generalize too much. There are some nice politicians out there. Not much though. :frowning:

Yes of course they would be :bigsmile: - but i am not sure if it would be in a particularly beneficial way, although i wouldn’t lie through my teeth the whole time :Z i dont have a lot of experience of “real life”.

What you want in a politician is someone who has seen a lot of life, is prepared cut through the BS (like political correctness :Z) and do what there deep rooted ideology tells them is best for the country - not necessarily them.

Which is where almost all current British politicians fall down, none of them are prepared to cut through the BS, and the only deep rooted ideology they have is that of self preservation.

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
they seek to leave a legacy. Either way, regular people get screwed.

Yep there is a fine example of that in Greenwich, London - Its called the Millennium Monstrosity, sorry Dome :slight_smile: (its not really that bad but). Its also a fine example of politicians short sightedness its only going to last 60 years or something before it starts rotting :rolleyes: Not only that but it also cost hundreds of millions of £££ to build, and it was totally pointless, a completely waste of money - they might as well have given the money to Robert Mugawbe (Zimbabwean Dictator… whats that i hear freely elected president… a true western politician at heart :eek: but thats another topic…)

Originally posted by dansmug
But you guys generalize too much. There are some nice politicians out there. Not much though. :frowning:

Fair point, making sweeping generalisations is very easy :), but that said and done in any group of people you are going to get a few bad apples, its just in politics there are so may bad apples is hard to find the good ones. :frowning:

Ahh, how dictatorships solve all these problems of public discontent, public opinion, and heckling of the government officials…If I was a politician, I would strive to set up a dictatorship and crush the will and freedom of the masses. All must bow down to me or die!!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

We have quite good policticians here… Except for those right-wing and christian people…

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
Ahh, how dictatorships solve all these problems of public discontent, public opinion, and heckling of the government officials…If I was a politician, I would strive to set up a dictatorship and crush the will and freedom of the masses. All must bow down to me or die!!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

Well, it is definitely not correct to say this and I hope people don’t judge me for it, but dictatorship can be good. Let me take the example of emperor Augustus (lived round the year 0). He was a dictator, but a good one. He is perhaps the politician in world history who has the most achievements, most of them very good. What I’m trying to say is that a dictator with a consciounce and brains is sometimes better than democracy. He doesn’t have to do things to get reelected, he can make quick decisions,…
But i wouldn’t want dictatorship, there have been only a few excellent ones in the history of mankind.

And yes, I love history :wink:

Then again, most of the people who didn’t like him didn’t end up in history books… All the bad things was forgotten…

There is an old saying; “Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely”

• contemporary example being Robert Mugawbe

As far as dictators go… hum not keen on the idea, I know of no benevolent dictators. As far as a monarchy system goes they seem to have done a little better. :slight_smile:

• contemporary example being Saudi Arabia

The trouble with a democratic system is that the politicians in power spend a year at the beginning of there term, blaming all their problems on the previous politician (this can work for well over 5years though with enough spin doctors) the middle of there term doing unpopular things then the last 6 months before re-election time trying to buy the electorate :frowning:

All these systems are open to corruption, abuse and inefficiency. The question “Which is the best political system?” is a very hard one to awnser. Thing like a dictatorship are fine as long as the dictator does what you want :slight_smile: the trouble is when he stars doing thing you don’t like what do you do? With a good democracy you elect a new set of capable and committed politicians. Democracy is what we have in most of the world and it keeps the people happy because they have a choice and can voice there opinions.

The truth of the mater in my opinion is that any of the above systems will work, and work well as long as the people at the heart of them there are have integrity, ideology, commitment and the same political views as your self :slight_smile: - A state sadly lacking in British politics :frowning:

From what i can see dictatorships bread the most coruption, and democracys the most beaurocracy.

Originally posted by Airhead
We have quite good policticians here… Except for those right-wing and christian people…

They dont sound to bad whats wrong with them? :eek:

And again at Airhead very true - historically (i am no historian) it seems the powerful dictate how history remembers them…

Well I guess you know where I fit in political terms now… :slight_smile:
Let’s say I’m not very fund of right-wing fundamental christians…

well said.

Originally posted by Airhead
Then again, most of the people who didn’t like him didn’t end up in history books… All the bad things was forgotten…

That is not true. But there are always people that don’t like some decisions politicians make.
To us dictatorship seems like the worst thing. But for Romans and Greeks they were very good. They gave the people food and plays and the common people was happy with that.
Basically I’m trying to say that one person or a small group of persons can be a lot better than democracy. If they don’t get corrupt or greedy. But know I’m going away from the subject.
It is indeed true that most politicians are bastards. I always wanted to go in politics but after the last years here, no f*cking way.
:frowning:

My opinion is that politians are just a reflection of the society , they are what the people makes them.

If we don’t care about our society and about our future how are we supposed to expect them to care?

PS: We want FlyingDutchman for president ! (or dictator as he wants to)

:slight_smile:

Originally posted by The_Judas
My opinion is that politians are just a reflection of the society , they are what the people makes them.

I would say that the politicians we have are a reflection of the esteem we hold politics in.

Useless deceitful politicians come into power when the publics view of politics becomes so low that no one who is held in higher regard wants to stand to become a politician. So for the pubic it becomes a choice between a rock and a hard place :(. - you cant elect someone who is not standing.