Poineer 109 burning 8 speed discs at only 4

vbimport

I have just got the 109 using firmware 1.09 the 8 speed discs I have used for months in my 107 and 108 can only be burned at 4 in the 109. This is a direct replacement for a 108 so the cable is 80 and dma 4 nothing has changed. It does see Ritek 8 spped and will let them burn at 12. The 8 speed that it only lets burn at 4 have this media code
Media code/Manufacturer ID GSC003
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 412352512
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps

The 107 and 108 see this as 8 speed and burnes at 8 so I am disappointed in a newer drive that won’t burn these higher than 4 speed. It seems like Pioneer is going backwards.

Dump 109 and get back the 108. :D:D

Well… did the 108 do it the first month the drive was out? I would guess not.
Most drive developers worry about mainstream media first.
Something like GSC003 is low-end stuff, going to be LAST on the radar.

Come on … Most of us use NIL’s firmware to burn 4x media at 8x with excellent results… and is available no more for A09 drives.

Whether the disc are low end isn’t the point the 107 and the 108 which are old drives recognize the discs as 8 speed and burn them at 8 speed with no problems as the 109 is still a Pioneer and only sees the discs as 4 speed is where the problem is

…so added to what I was suggesting the balance clearly moves towards 108 which is better supported and perhaps cheaper.

I had the 107 and got the 108 and the 108 was better than the 107 the 109 actually burns at 4 speed slower than the 107 or 108. So the 108 came out of the box better than the 107 the 109 is a let down as it seems to have gone backwards.

Yeap, shame on Pioneer… Why on earth they did not used the previous hardware from 108 for building the new 109? It would been a great drive… Anyway, that’s it…109 is not a better drive. Maybe a firmware update to cure this but I simply do not understand why they brought on the market a slower and worse drive when they were considered the best.

I think someone said the same thing to 108 when it first came out.

Huh? :confused:

Maybe because the 109 is different. DVD-R DL, remember?

K, lordsmurf, I agree on that point but is it so difficult to transform a +R DL drive in a -R DL too?

I don’t know. Do you? I would imagine it requires more than firmware and a new sticker on the front of the drive.

I still remember the days when people insisted a DVD burner was simply a CD burner with newer firmware. And we all know what a joke that is.

NEC has done the same thing with the 3520A. The constant pressure to have the most features or fastest burning speed, has the firmware programmers running around like headless chickens. Imagine having a really good drive and then with the flick of a pen the hierarchy changes the chipset, meaning all of the strategies have to be redone from scratch.