Plz plz help me!

vbimport

i own a pc with a hp dvd writer 300c built internally into it and just recently i wanted to start burning onto blank dvd’s(this where it gets confusing)the drive plays dvd films,cdr’s,records onto cd-r,but if i put a blank dvd into it it doesnt recognise it?i got dvd-r,and dvd+r it doesnt recognise any of them???my friend burnt an iso file onto a blank dvd and it didnt recognise the iso or the dvd it was on???im using xp os,if anyone can help i’d be very very gratefull :sad:

The 300 series can only burn DVD+R media. What software are you trying to burn with? What brand of +R media are you using?

The first post was a crosspost; please see “Newbie” thread, and any moderator here, please merge this response with that thread.

Djdeckstar, I can understand your frustration, but crossposting (posting the same thread in different areas of the site) is seriously frowned upon here. In the future, choose one forum to post in, and (yes, I know, but you have to) wait for an answer. Chances are, you’ll get several and in fairly short order.

As said before, this drive can only burn +R and +RW. Also, for DVD burning you MUST use a proper burning app. That built-in thing in xp is ONLY suitable for CDs!

PS: The 300C is an Philips OEM drive, the 300N is a NEC 1100 clone.

sorry about posting the same question in 2 different places,i put it in here then realised i should of put it in the newbie part,any suggestions on a good burning program for me to use(300c)???

You won’t go too far wrong with Nero as a DVD movie burning program. I use it almost exclusively.
For burning image files (ISO,IMG,BIN) I use DVD Decrypter (www.afterdawn.com & search).
For burning CDs my preference is Roxio but Burrrn (www.burrrn.net) is a good free alternative. Nero will also do CD’s but I just prefer Roxio.

Latest version of Nero is all you need, installing multiple burning apps like Nero & Roxio can be problematic.

Nero has and has some minor compatibility problems regarding DVD-VIDEO.
I can recommend to use with ImgToolBurn instead Nero when it comes to DVD-VIDEO. ImgToolBurn uses the Nero API but produces 100% compliant discs.

what if my friend puts some files onto a blank dvd?how can i get my drive to read the dvd so i can get the stuff off the dvd onto my pc???

I would have thought you could just open the DVD with explorer and copy/paste them onto the hard drive.

i would but the problem is even when my friend put an iso file onto a blank dvd it didnt show up as anything on it???when u click on the dvd drive and put a blank or full dvd into it(original dvds work fine)it says"0 bytes free/0 bytes available?grrrrrrrrrrrrr :confused:

It will allways say 0 byes free. That is why you need a burning program. If your friend put a ISO file on the DVD then you will need to mount the ISO with somethig like Deamon Tools to view the contents of the ISO file.

If a NOT BALNK CD/DVD is seen as BLANK, make sure you check the m$ support sites.
They feature that issue and also a solution for this. Search for “CD seen as blank”.