Plz help

Hi I’m farely new to this but was wondering if anyone could tell me how to burn a dvd using Roxio. I just bought this computer 1 week ago and I have downloaded some movies but don’t know how to burn them…Someone PLEASE help.:frowning:

[QUOTE=saigemygirl;1915458]Hi I’m farely new to this but was wondering if anyone could tell me how to burn a dvd using Roxio. I just bought this computer 1 week ago and I have downloaded some movies but don’t know how to burn them…Someone PLEASE help.:([/QUOTE]

Do you have another program besides Roxio for burning? I am just asking cause Roxio is notorious for causing burning issues. Did you get a user manual that came with the program? If so you should go and read it and see what it can tell you more about the program. But also make sure it can burn the format you downloaded.

No I did’nt get a manual with it,It was already installed on my computer. Is there another program that I can use? What about DivX?

What format are the movies in right now? Are they dvds, avi files, mpeg? If you don’t know, download Gspot video utility and open them with it.

Gspot will tell us the codec used to make the video, frame rate, audio codec, resolution, etc. Write down everything and post back here with that information.

Divx is a video codec, and can be used for movies, but isn’t found on dvds. DVD-Video uses mpeg2. It is possible to burn divx onto blank dvds as data files and play them on some dvd players, but not all dvd players have this capability.

Once we know what format your movies are in, we can help you a little better. It may be that you will have to convert them to dvd.

I personally use ImgBurn for most of my burns with video. It is a free program and you will probably be able to use it for these movies, but first we need more info on the movie files you have now.

HI the files are avi files if that helps any.

Probably it would help if you posted some more information about these movie files, as Kerry56 requested in the second line of his post.

Can you also tell us whether you want to play these movies on your PC, or a standalone player in the living room. If the latter, what is its make and model number?

If it is an AVI download, most likely it is Mpeg4 (DivX,Xvid). If it is about 700MB per file than that would be it. GSpot will tell you exactly what it is.
ConverXtoDVD will do the job converting the file to DVD format playable on your DVD player and do burning also.
If your ROXIO came with new computer, most likely it is OEM version (basic), because they compete with NERO and full Nero can convert AVI files, not that I would use it for that.

Well like I said I’m new to this so I don’t really know much about the files. I can play them on my computer using DivX,some play on media player. What I want is to burn them to dvds to watch om my home theater system. Thank you all so much,this really means alot to me that you are all trying to help.

If you want to play them as dvds, then CDuncle’s suggestion of using ConvertXtoDVD is probably the easiest route to take. ConvertXtoDVD isn’t a free program, but is simple to use.

If you want a free option, try FAVC. It requires Avisynth and Net 2.0 to be installed on your computer, but all of these are free to use, and there are direct links on the FAVC homepage to get everything you need. http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/

another free avi to dvd converter is dvd flick. the link i post also has a simple tutorial on how to use the program. http://club.cdfreaks.com/f59/dvd-flick-basic-guide-228005/

here is a link for downloading the GSpot utility. this program with give information about your avi file as kerry56 has explained. http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/GSpot-2_5_040728-Beta-8-codec-identification-utility.html

some dvd players can play the avi files when burned to cd or dvd without converting to dvd format. knowing the “make and model number (imkidd57)” of your dvd player will tell us if yours can do this. the model number is typically located on the the back of the player.

thanks troy