Plz help me to decide whether to get DSL or cable

vbimport

I want to get broadband but am confused about which is better: cable or DSL. In my area, with a 384Kbps DSL, my neighbour gets around 50K/sec transfer rate. My other option is 2.5Mbps cable connection by AT&T. Could someone tell me the lowest and highest transfer rates I can expect with cable modem? Can someone also tell me which is a better choice and more reliable? Thanks.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well I’d go with DSL… I’ve heard too many bad things about cable, not that I haven’t heard bad things about DSL, but I have friends who tell me sometimes the cable modem is slower than the 56k dial-up.

ahhh the most famous question. Well I had both. DSL is more dedicated then cable. Cable does drop speed but the speed is so great that it still wont go lower then DSL, and cable is cheaper with higher speeds then DSL. I always felt DSL was better but now in my opinion Cable is cheaper and always faster especially on uploads.

Also its hard to compare with other people because it depends on your area and how many people share the bandwidth.

The difference is, what Uptown said, that DSL is more dedicated.
WIth cable you are dependant on what other people in your neighbourhood are using, for the total bandwidth is shared with your neighbourhood.

DSL guarantees a minimum bandwidth between you and your provider. From the point of your provider and further upstream no guarantees are given. So if you have DSL and a lousy provider you will get low speeds anyway, the same applies for slow servers on the other end (but then you can be hooked up directly to the Backbone and still get low download speeds, so wouldn’t be fair to take this into account).

Here in the city where I live cable is decent and faster than the advanced ADSL account and almost half the price, so in my case it would make no sense in getting DSL. Where in some regions here in the Netherlands cable is so poor performance wise that even the basic ADSL is better (heck, even 56K would be better).

What I am trying to say, check with people in your neighbourhood, what is their experience. Take both speed, service and costs into consideration…

Well… in my neighborhood, most people probably have never even heard of broadband, they are very computer illiterate. So I suppose that if I get 2.5Mbps cable, I can get very good speeds, right? :stuck_out_tongue: But my cousin who lives a block away is just about the only person with DSL for miles, and he gets speeds of 50K/sec average with a 384Kbps DSL!

Can someone tell me the highest and lowest transfer speeds they got with a cable, though?

One more thing… DSL is $50.00 US a month, cable is $39.99 US a month…

Ive seen average of 20k-30k download speeds with cable, that with network optimized (tweaked)… I am thinking that maybe some cable companies limit bandwidth?

That doesn’t seem too good… Is that with the 2.5Mbps cable connection?:confused:

The 2.5m I can get 300k/sec but depends where you are and the prices you showed get cable youll be satisfied

Thanks, guys!

From what I read, I guess I will be getting AT&T@Home cable.

Ah the dsl and cable debate. Ok here’s what I know(and no I dont know it all…)Dsl is distance dependent, you have to be somewhere near a telco. Cable is piped into through a cable of course and dsl uses the phone line. I havent made the speed comparison, but I can speak from experience that the more people who are on your node, the lower speed you will receive if you have cable. It used to happen to me really bad when I lived on the other side of town. The cable techs where always out fixing broken connections. I moved out to the sticks and now my connection actually flies.
I believe that you dont share bandwith with others on DSL. I could be wrong. But if you get At&t make sure you complain if the tech is late or doesnt show.

:slight_smile:

We all need to burn something

Well, I just wanted to post what I know about cable from my area. Even though its one way-- The first cable modem I got, was an old ass Zenith modem. Max speed was 55 kBps , the newer one that I got about 3 months ago, is a Surfboard 3100d, max speeds with that are 70-80 Kbps (no tweaks needed), the good/bad part is you have to make sure you have a free phone line for one way (Most isp’s offer 2-way…mine does, but we live in the middle of no where) We dont “share” our bandwith (or at least thats what they tell us), but i have a dedicated 80kps to my line (no more than that), but on 2-way with these guys, i’ve seen transfer rates of 1.5 mbs (near T1/as good as) dedicated to their lines, and 170 kBps up.
confused?

One way: dl through cable line, up through phones:
Max up: (different depending on isp/phone lines)–mine is 2.6kBps
Max down: 80 kBps

2way: up/dl through cable lines:
Max up: 170 kBps
Max down: 1.5 mBps

; ) but like everyone else said, it depends on your ISP/area.

Here’s a useful link for those interested in the speed and stuff

http://tech.msn.com/internet/speedtest.asp

There is a area to put in the area code where you live and it tests it for you, mine said it was about 450.8 k

Ok, first of all, to some people who claim that their cable/dsl is slow or whatnot:

Data transfer rates are measured in BITS not BYTES!

If your cable or dsl or whatever is rated at 2.5 Mbps that doesnt mean you’ll download 2.5 megabytes a second! You gotta convert bites to bytes… to do that, divide by 8. So a 2.5mbps connection will allow you to download 312.5 kilobytes per second(~1/3 of a megabyte).

A 384 kbps (kiloBITSpersecond) connection will allow a 48 kilobyte per second download.

I have cable and im pretty sure im the only one on my block using it. My isp says my connection will max at 1.5 mbps, but i usually get around 3 - 5 mbps(375 - 625 kilobytes/s). Unfortunately, my upload is capped at 128 kbps (16 kilobytes/s) :mad:

DSL is a dedicated line, I believe. Cable is shared. If you live on a street with people who dont download or ftp/fxp all day, get cable; If you live on a street with people who download or ftp/fxp all day, DO NOT get cable.

I probably will be getting cable. If I live in the suburb area where most people don’t even have a 56K internet access, then I think that I will get wonderful cable speeds!

It should fly. But remeber to read all the documentation on the deals that you look into. Some companies have a price for a few months then after a certain they jack the price up.

Originally posted by DanDaMan1487
[B]Well… in my neighborhood, most people probably have never even heard of broadband, they are very computer illiterate. So I suppose that if I get 2.5Mbps cable, I can get very good speeds, right? :stuck_out_tongue: But my cousin who lives a block away is just about the only person with DSL for miles, and he gets speeds of 50K/sec average with a 384Kbps DSL!

Can someone tell me the highest and lowest transfer speeds they got with a cable, though?

One more thing… DSL is $50.00 US a month, cable is $39.99 US a month… [/B]

Whoa!!! $50 US a month for 384kbbps DSL??? where do you live??? That’s crazy, but since i’m not american i’m not quite sure how much you guys pay down there.

My DSL service is $40 CAN which = a little less than $27US
It’s pretty fast at 120k down and 16k up… and even that is WAY TOOOO SLOW. I’ve been really happy with the service i’ve got with my dsl simply because there’s no problems so far whatsoever, no down time nothing. But i’m thinking about switching over to cable simply because I get a discount from my work which i’ll be paying about $24CAn= $16 US and it’s going to be a LOT faster than my speed that i’m getting now, but like everyone says, it depends on where you live and what everyone else has. So i’m going to give it a try and if it’s really bad i’ll switch back to dsl but i doubt it since i’ll be paying about half the price. Good luck in finding the right service for you.

I live in Sacramento in the Elk Grove suburban area and there is only one DSL provider: Citizens DSL. As they are the only choice for DSL, they can set prices as high or low as they want, kind of like Micro$oft’s monopoly. Now the cable service used to be by Comcast, but AT&T bought out Comcast. Is 39.99 US too expensive for cable also? I am desperate but do not want to move to Canada for a 20.00 dollar discount!

My Story:

With my current 56K, it compares to a 41K with the area code speed test. So far I have been takin’ my burner to my cousin’s house who has DSL. I spend the night there and I am up at 3:00 in the morning trying to download as much warez as possible. Then I am limited to a 2X burn speed because his 200Mhz Pentium 1 can’t process anything faster… This is pretty crazy but now that I’ve saved some cash, I can get broadband for myself. Hey, what other 13-year-old will be crazy enough to pay for broadband but me?

i would love to pay for it myslef at the age of 15. BUT!!!
i live in a little village in the UK and its basically in the middle of nowhere so i can’t even get it because of stupid BT!!!
ChicaneWeaver
:):):slight_smile: