Pluto No Longer A Planet

Who wants to break the news to him…Link

Yeah, I guess Pluto’s in the doghouse now! :stuck_out_tongue:

Bad dog!
Now roll over and play dead :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea, That just cost the world billions in new updated books for all the schools!

… in history books this will be the main event of this decade… saying that there is one less planet in the solar system…

We still have Neptune anyway :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

And Uranus!

And Jupiter :stuck_out_tongue:

I heard some school students in France now use flash sticks storing testbooks. Gutenberg.org sends DVD disks for free containing 17,500 or so kinds of books and other things per disk to nearly any place in the world. Who would have thought of so many free eBooks and audioBooks on a CD-like disk or on the web 15 years ago?

‘Dwarf planet’ is named Eris

Eris, the Greek goddess of discord and strife, has been chosen as the official name of the object that put paid to Pluto’s position as the ninth planet.

The “dwarf planet” 2003 UB 313, had earlier been nicknamed Xena, after the Warrior Princess TV series.

Now the International Astronomical Union (IAU), has decided on the officially-recognised title Eris, pronounced “Ee-ris”.

The name is fitting considering the enormous amount of trouble the object’s discovery three years ago has caused.

Eris was found by Professor Mike Brown, from the California Institute of Technology, in a region on the fringe of the Solar System called the Kuiper Belt.

Pluto also occupies this zone, as do a number of other objects. The problem facing astronomers was that Eris, at 1,864 miles wide, was bigger than the “ninth planet”.

A heated debate started over whether the new object should also be classified as a planet, or whether Pluto should lose its planetary status. This month the situation was resolved at a meeting in Prague where members of the IAU voted to demote Pluto.

They decided that from now on there would be only eight “true” planets. Both Pluto and UB 313 would be classified as lesser objects known as “dwarf planets”.

Eris is currently at almost the most distant point in its 560-year orbit and about nine billion miles from the Sun. Eris has one moon which has been named Dysnomia, who according to legend was Eris’s daughter.

Scientists think Eris is covered with a layer of methane which has seeped from its interior and frozen. Pluto is also covered in frozen methane, but is redder in colour than Eris, which has a yellowish hue. The colours are probably caused by the effects of faint solar radiation.

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=924961

It will always be a planet to me. :slight_smile:

Silly scientists seem to need something to do…

Maybe with a modded firmware it could be again a planet :stuck_out_tongue:

Pluto IS still a planet, and so is Eris, which is only marginally bigger than Pluto. There is no reason that objects which have achieved hydrostatic equilibrium (i.e., have enough gravity to have pulled themselves into a round or oblate shape) cannot be considered both planets AND Kuiper Belt Objects. The IAU vote should not be seen as changing anything. It was conducted by four percent of the group’s membership, 424 out of 10,000 members, most of whom are not even planetary scientists! No absentee or Internet voting was allowed. Within days, almost as many professional astronomers, led by Dr. Alan Stern, Principal Investigator of NASA’s New Horizons unmanned mission to Pluto, and a leading expert on Pluto in the world, signed a formal petition rejecting the new planet definition. The decision also makes no linguistic sense in stating that a “dwarf planet” is not a planet at all. Anyone who wants to sign a lay petition in support of the overturning of this ridiculous decision can do so at
Please Save Planet Pluto | A Petition To Help Pluto Regain Its Status As A Planet » Petition for IMMEDIATE REVERSAL of decision to demote Pluto to “Dwarf Planet” by the International Astronomical Union (IAU)

This vote is likely to be overturned at the IAU’s next convention in 2009 or when New Horizons visits Pluto in 2015. In the meantime, there is no need for anyone to use it.

Since its been a while since the first post was made and the 1st link to cnn doesn’t work now, it probably refered to the following(?)
link

I was just watching the USA’s Space Shuttle fly over here in Midwest USA :cool:

Now this might seem rather apathetic … but … seriously … who cares?

All those brilliant minds … wasting time arguing over the classification of a dwarf planet.

Why don’t they go out and find the elusive dark matter, black holes and quasars & use their knowledge about planets and momentum to build us a damn space elevator so we can get our butts over to pluto (on a shoestring budget) and figure it out first hand, rather than f@#$ing around and looking at it through a magnifying glass.

[QUOTE=debro;1915972]Now this might seem rather apathetic … but … seriously … who cares?

All those brilliant minds … wasting time arguing over the classification of a dwarf planet.

Why don’t they go out and find the elusive dark matter, black holes and quasars & use their knowledge about planets and momentum to build us a damn space elevator so we can get our butts over to pluto (on a shoestring budget) and figure it out first hand, rather than f@#$ing around and looking at it through a magnifying glass.[/QUOTE]

Tsk, tsk debro… it’s obvious who cares about Pluto, and that’s the new age hippies.
Banning Pluto as a planet will have screwed up all their astrological predictions no end :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Prof. Honeydew;1916063]Tsk, tsk debro… it’s obvious who cares about Pluto, and that’s the new age hippies.
Banning Pluto as a planet will have screwed up all their astrological predictions no end :p[/quote]
I knew it … hippies are behind the greatest waste of time & resources since the invention of global warming & second hand smoke.

Why is it that the nuttiest people define reality?

[QUOTE=debro;1916146]I knew it … hippies are behind the greatest waste of time & resources since the invention of global warming & second hand smoke.

Why is it that the nuttiest people define reality?[/QUOTE]hey man i resemble that remark. Not really but i have seen some acid freaks in my days and they do not know what they do :doh:

You’re mixing up two separate groups of people here. It was the IAU, or rather, four percent of the IAU, who started this mess to begin with when they should have left well enough alone. Instead, they created a definition that makes no sense and creates nothing but confusion. They are the so-called “brilliant minds” who wasted their time with this.

Then there are the many people who object to what this tiny group did and feel it constitutes a step backwards. I am one of those people, and yes, I do care about how Pluto is classified. In practical terms, these classifications determine what children are taught in school, what gets into basic textboooks and courses, etc. The arguments for Pluto not being a planet simply do not hold, and they result in a narrowing of our conception of the solar system when we should be broadening it. This vote was a deliberate attempt by a small group with an agenda to specifically exclude Pluto from the category of planets, and sorry, but many of us are just not buying it. It comes down to the need to question those who set themselves up as an “authority” rather than just accept on faith that something is a certain way because they say so.