PLS help Re: HL-DT-STCD-RW GCE-8481B

vbimport

hi all,
I have a HL-DT-STCD-RW GCE-8481B
The EAC offset correction (read) is +6. I found this using the cds in the db and and also online at http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm

However when I use this value, I’m getting a sector boundary error on the first track of .00006.

I have also tried determining the write offset but i get different values each time.

What is/am I doing wrong?
all the best

ps I do not get the sector boundary error when i put offset 0.

ps2:
When I compare two same wavs, one extracted using +6 and the other using 0, I get the massage “0.00.00.000 longer”

any ideas anyone?

Have you enabled: Overread into Lead-in and Lead-Out? If not your extracted wavs will be missing 6 samples.

Yes I have enabled it. I still get the same result eg track length 5:23006 with or without it.

The track length shown will not alter whether you are using Offset correction or not. If your drive cannot Overread into Lead-in and Lead-out you will be missing some samples from either the beginning or the end of the CD depending on whether the Offset is positive or negative.

This means, I think, with an Offset of +6 the first track when extracted will be missing 6 samples unless your drive can overread into the lead-in.

Please remember that the CD is sampled at 44100 samples per second so 6 samples would give a time difference of 0.00.00.000136 which is too small to show on the comparison result.

Really an offset of +6 is so small that I wouldn’t worry about it. If it doesn’t work properly then just leave it at 0.

Thanks for your reply.
The 6 samples are not audible as ticks/clicks but they do show on shntool/flac logs.

Is there a test to know if the drive can overread into the lead-in?

Yes

EACs “Detect Read Sample Offset Correction” Test will tell you if the drive can read into Lead-in, Lead-Out.

If it cannot go to EAC Options/Extraction and tick “fill up missing offset samples with silence” and then your extracted wavs will have the same size.

Yes I tried “Detect Read Sample Offset Correction” on offset test cds (with +6 and 0 read offset)

With offset test-cd created with +6 read I get
Overread- Only Lead In
Sample Offset- Passage Not Found
Applies 0 automatically.

With offset test-cd created with 0 read offset:
Overread- Lead In & Lead Out
Sample Offset- 0
Drops to 0 if apply.

What do you think?
In any case 0 offset, means drive/EAC are copying as they should be or that offset is not being applied?

thank you.

I have had the Passage Not Found error and it means that the test CD was not written correctly. If you turn it over and look at the Data side you will see that hardly anything was written to the disc.

It looks like your LG has a read offset of +6 and a write offset of 0 but cannot overread into Lead-out so use these settings:

Read sample offset correction +6
Overread into lead-in and lead-out off
EAC Options/Extraction fill up missing offset samples with silence on

This means the last 6 samples on the disc that could not be read will be replaced with digital silence. These samples would have contained silence anyway as the last few thousand samples on audio CDs is digital silence.

The settings of read +6, “overrread off” and “fill with missing samples” were actually the ones I was using when I started getting the 6 samples.

I reburnt the test cd +6 on cdr as I was using RW. Both result with the two test-cds are:

Sample Offset- 0
Changes to 0 on Apply.

So is the correct offset not applied altogether or is it 0 ?

when I started getting the 6 samples

What do you mean by this?

Your correct read offset is +6
As you have created a test CD with offset already at +6 then it will of course show 0.

With the settings I posted above are you unable to rip a wav file?

I was always using these settings that you suggested:
Read sample offset correction +6
Overread into lead-in and lead-out off
EAC Options/Extraction fill up missing offset samples with silence on

With these settings, the first track ripped on the harddrive only has the 6 sample error i.e. the track at the inner cd ring never any other.

Test-cds (burnt with +6 or 0 offset read) in “Detect Read Sample Offset Correction” show results as:
Sample Offset- 0

No matter what value is used for read offset (even +300) the wav from the first track on the cd being extracted from has the same error.
Only if, the read offset is put to 0 there is no error for the first track.

Are you trying to extract the track off the test CD that was burned with an offset of +6?

Can you try another CD (preferably pressed not CD-R)?

If you have a CD from EACs list of CDs that can be used to determine offset correction that would be ideal.

Have you used another drive with EAC and replaced it with the LG? EAC can sometimes go crazy when you do this and you need to delete all the settings from the registry before it will work properly with the new drive.

This happens on all cds even pressed ones.

I used a cd from EAC’s database to determine read offset.

No I never used another drive and replaced it with LG.

Only read offset 0 gives no error for the first track from the cd.

My question remains, does 0 offset (which is not producing the error for the first track) mean offset is not being applied or does it mean is it being corrected for that particular drive?

0 offset means no offset is applied

So in this case 0 would mean that nothing is left out/added as I get no error with it?

The correct offset for my drive LG GSA-4163B is +667. With the settings above I do not get any error when ripping the first track. Even if I increase the offset to +1000 I still do not get any errors at the end of the first track.

My drive does not support overreading into lead-out though and if I enable overread into lead-in and lead-out I get an error at the end of the disc.

So in this case 0 would mean that nothing is left out/added as I get no error with it?

Yes, 6 samples will be missing from the end of the wav file because your drive started reading the data 6 samples too early.