Plexwriter Premium Questions

vbimport

I just ordered one the other day, and am still waiting on it to arrive. Just curious, as I’ve seen many aren’t having problems with it and nero. But does nero actually detect it correctly? I noticed it’s not on the Supported Recorders list on the nero site, so is it (with latest ver.)?

Also, how’s the media compatibility with it? Is 52x reachable alot, or is it like every other plextor (picky with most)? :stuck_out_tongue: I use (mostly) Maxell 40x, (some) Imation 48x. Any thoughts? :slight_smile:

And, last but not least, is that V1.01 firmware upgrade also useable on the US drives?

Thanks in advance :wink:

Originally posted by Geforcer
I just ordered one the other day, and am still waiting on it to arrive. Just curious, as I’ve seen many aren’t having problems with it and nero. But does nero actually detect it correctly? I noticed it’s not on the Supported Recorders list on the nero site, so is it (with latest ver.)?

Yes it is supported. I’m using Nero 5.5.10.28 and it identifies it correctly.

Also, how’s the media compatibility with it? Is 52x reachable alot, or is it like every other plextor (picky with most)? :stuck_out_tongue: I use (mostly) Maxell 40x, (some) Imation 48x. Any thoughts? :slight_smile: [/B]

Don’t know the full story, as I mostly write audio, at 16x or 20x speed. From the few tests I’ve done myself and from what I’ve heard and read, it performs well. Only media from from ‘bad plants’, such as CMC, do not reach maximum speed, or do so but increase C1/C2 rates. Never use Imation or Maxell, but I figure your Imation will do well. My old batch of Kodaks 12x burn at 20x, my Sony (from Tayio Yuden) rated at 16x burn well at 32x as well. Sony’s manufactured by Mitsui and rated 40x go all the way to 52x. Perhaps other users can add to this.

And, last but not least, is that V1.01 firmware upgrade also useable on the US drives? [/B]

Yep, you can use the Fw. 1.01 from the Europe and Japan sites on US drives. Firmwares posted on the three Plextor sites are the same. Normally Japan and Europe are first with posting new firmwares. The US site lags a day or two. Now, with the Premium, it’s a bit weird though, as it is not listed yet under firmwares on the US site, and no fw is available for download. But again, DL the fw from the European site and use it. No problems.

Hope this helps.

The newest NERO (5.5.10.35) detects the drive fine as well and thus far for me has worked mint.

As far as reaching 52X write speeds, I’ve had poor results so far. I’ve got a batch of 52X rated media that won’t burn properly at anything over 20-24X speed (as determined by PowerRec).

I’m guessing I’ve got a bad batch of media and plan to grab a spindle of the same media that came with the drive (Verbatim DataLifePlus 52X Super AZO Media), as that one disc tested out fine to burn at 52X speed (or so Plextor Tools says).

Limahl

cool, sounds good. thanks for the replies. i’ve been hearing that maxell is a brand plextor likes, and seeing the cdfreaks review of the drive, it did the best of all tested. so hopefully, i have the same cdr’s as those :Q oh, and the US site finally posted the v1.01 firmware :wink:

Japan has up the V1.02 firmware now as well.

http://www.plextor.co.jp/support/firmware/PREMIUM_102.exe

It was mentioned in this thread…

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70439

Limahl

In our Plextor Premium review there are some C1/C2 scans with various media. alexnoe has also posted some more scans in this thread. This gives you a good idea of what kind of media the Premium drive likes.

I use Mitsui Mam Golden Dye 48x certified media (recommended media by Plextor) and writing speeds are very variable, from 24x to 52x.

The C1/C2 tests on this media show a large number of C1 errors and few C2 errors.

Will an upgrade to 1.01 or 1.02 improve media support?

i upgraded to 1.02 and the writing speeds did not improve, but less c1/c2 errors were found (no c2 errors anymore).