PlexWriter 48/24/48A Writing Problem

I’ve been having problems buring CDs with this new Plextor CD burner (PlexWriter 48/24/48A). During the write process I get the Blue Screen Of Death and something about a pool error and then the system reboots. I’m assumning that this BSOD error has something to do with UDMA mode.

Currently, the only way that I can get a CD to burn completely is to set the IDE to PIO mode. I also have an EPox motherboard with a VIA KT133A chipset. I have read several messages eluding to problems with this motherboard and/or VIA chipset, but I could not find out how to fix it.

Below is my system

Hard Drive: Western Digital 80.0GB EIDE ULTRA-ATA/100 7200RPM
Motherboard: EPox8KTA3+
CD Burner: PlexWriter 48/24/48A
Graphics Card: GeForce 2000 Millinum

Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi,found this

Q: (12/05/03) When running PlexTools on a system with NVIDIA chipset, PlexTools crashes. A: PlexTools crashes when the NVIDIA busmaster drivers v2.03 are installed.
Please install the latest Nvidia unified driver to fix this problem.
More info can be found on the Nvidia drivers page.
, when looking here. Hope this might help./gs.

gene_simmons his motherboard is quite old and uses a VIA KT133A chipset so that’s not the problem. tkofford, the Plextor PX-W4824TA can be picky with its DMA mode sometimes and I’m almost 100% sure that your problem is indeed DMA related. Try the following suggestions:

[ul][li]Install the Plextor 48x drive as MASTER on the SECONDARY IDE chain, no SLAVE drive attached. Does that work? If not, try:
[/li][li]Updating the drivers for your VIA chipset, see www.viaarena.com for the latest 4-in-1 drivers (I believe they’re now called Hyperion drivers).
[/li][li]As a last resort you can try updating the BIOS of your Epox motherboard. This is of course done at your own risk…[/ul]Please report back!
[/li]
Oh and welcome to our forum :slight_smile:

G@M3FR3@K,I was in a hurry-SO sorry for any misinformation.I´ll keep that in mind./gs.

np :wink:

G@M3FR3@K,

Thanks for the advice. Here are the results:

• Install the Plextor 48x drive as MASTER on the SECONDARY IDE chain, no SLAVE drive attached.

This is the way I originally had this set up, didn’t solve the problem.

Updating the drivers for your VIA chipset, see www.viaarena.com for the latest 4-in-1 drivers (I believe they’re now called Hyperion drivers).

Tried this last night, didn’t solve the problem.

• As a last resort you can try updating the BIOS of your Epox motherboard. This is of course done at your own risk…

Also, tried this last night after the VIA drivers update and failed test burn. WHOHOOOO!!! It seemed to solve the problem.

So I’m not sure if it was the BIOS update alone or the combination of the BIOS update and the VIA drivers update that solved the problem. My prior BIOS date was only 2 years old.

Anyway problem solved, Thanks for the great advice! I will definitely inform others with CD writing problems of this forum.

Anyway problem solved, Thanks for the great advice! I will definitely inform others with CD writing problems of this forum.
No problem, I’m glad your problems have been solved! :slight_smile: