I’m having some problems with a my Plexwriter 40/12/40a. I’ve sent an e-mail to their tech support only to get the response “the drive is out of warranty.” I don’t know about others but I payed extra $$ to get a Plextor instead of some other brand, and it seems pretty sh*tty to me that they would cop out like this when a customer has a problem. I’ve included the e-mail I sent to their tech support. Does anyone here have any ideas or have you heard of this kind of thing before?
Hello. I own a Plextor 40/12/40a CD-RW, purchased a little over a year ago. In the past few months I have noticed a problem with the drive reading CD-Rs that it has burned. During continuous reads of CD-Rs it has burned the CD-RW drive will begin to spin up and spin down in rapid succession, and the reading speed of the drive will drop dramatically (often to less than 4x). With any particular CD-R this problem occurs with, the spin up/down occurs in between 60-80% of the read and the drive continues spinning up and down until the read is finished.
As an example, I have used the 40/12/40a to burn a CD-R of Linux live-boot CD (where the Linux operating system runs directly off the CD). When booting from this CD-R using the 40/12/40a, the boot fails at about 75% because the drive starts to spin up and down rapidly while loading certain files. However, on a LiteOn drive in the same computer the boot completes successfully with no such problem.
- This is NOT a Windows problem–it occurs both inside AND OUTSIDE of Windows
- This is NOT a firmware problem–the 40/12/40a has the latest firmware installed (v1.06)
- This is NOT a problem with the burning software–I am using DiscJuggler, which is on Plextor’s recommended list
- This is NOT a problem with a bad burn–it occurs with several other burns I have made AND all of these burns work without problems in other CD-Rom drives that I own
- This is NOT A MEDIA PROBLEM–it occurs with SEVERAL DIFFERENT brands and batches of CD-Rs that I have bought, EVEN THOSE APPROVED by Plextor
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.