PlexWriter 40/12/40A Major Problems

I have had this drive for a little over a year. It burned, successfully, any media I fed it. I ran it on RedHat, 2000 Professional, XP, and Server 2003. With a recent format however to Server 2003 it will not burn on damned cd! Nero just says there’s a burn error. Clone CD says there’s an error. Every software just burns and burns and then says Error. It’s random… I’ve had failures at 99% before. I was able to burn an entire ISO once when I tried about 5 times. I’ve tried different media and everything.

The only change I’ve done to my computer RECENTLY that I thought could be the problem was install a special driver for my motherboard. I had a problem with my VIA board that wouldn’t allow me to play games or watch AVI’s. VIA came out with a beta driver saying to use at your own risk. Well I’ve uninstalled that driver just to see if that was the cause–and the burner still didn’t work.

I called Plextor. The tech told me they don’t support Server 2003 but he would help out anyways. He had me download ASPI. Instead of juts failure I’d get “Power Calibration Error.” So believing my O/S was at fault, I formatted back to XP. Same problem. Installed ASPI… Same problem again. I am now running Server 2003 again because I use it’s reliability to run a website. Does anyone have any suggestions? Will Plextor service it without a receipt or anything? The drive hasnt even been out but for maybe 2 years.

ASPI was my first thought.

Now I’m thinking that it might be an IDE controller driver issue.

Way to upgrade?

At this point I would say that you should make sure your VIA drivers are up to date, and you’re using the standard Microsoft driver for your IDE controller.

IDE seems fine… is there a way the IDE may physically be at fault? Like dust or something?

Originally posted by h3ndrix
IDE seems fine… is there a way the IDE may physically be at fault? Like dust or something?

Wouldn’t hurt to try another cable. But if that cable worked before, then I doubt it went bad.

If you can, try the writer in a different computer. If it works there then we know the problem is with your system. Also, try running the self-diagnostic test. Please report back!

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
If you can, try the writer in a different computer. If it works there then we know the problem is with your system. Also, try running the self-diagnostic test. Please report back!

i finally got off my arse and tried it on another machine. still no dice. im upset :frowning:

If the drive also fails in another computer then it seems like the drive is the problem. How old is the drive? Here in Europe Plextor gives a two year warranty period on their drives. Contact Plextor and ask them what they can do for you.

For North America the warranty is one year from date of mfr. If you’ve tried on a non-server version of Windows and the same problem follows the drive, it is a drive issue.

after 1 year my drive suddenly failed nearly every burn. just like that…

really weird but I got a replacement… free or course

now the drive wont load cd’s correctly. the cd goes in and when the disc is in it mackes a cracking sound. then again and again and again then eject put in again and it might work.

going to get another replacement

not a good drive

Wow for a moment there i thought i was the only one with this problem. Ive been using the plextorwriter40/12/40A for about over a year with no problems and ive burned dozen of cd at a time without any problem. But one day after installing my new Western Digital 1200JB the burner just kept giving me errors the same errors the rest of you guys are getting. I tried testing the Ide cables and other burning software and the same error with everyone. I havent tried the plexwriter on another computer to see if itll work but i hope its not the plexwriter. I’ve read many early reviews and plexwriter was pretty damn good, i hope im not disappointed. And if anyone find a solution please post it.

Don’t know if this will help you but I have 2 XP machines that do not get on with new 4.71 aspi drivers. I have a Pioneer 106D in each, plus a USB plexwriter 48/24/48 in one.
At one point I had no errors at all, that changed overnight an I had freeze ups and none of my discs would finalise so that they would not play in my standalone DVD player anymore.
After pulling my hair out I got round to replacing the aspi files manually with the old 4.60 ones. This cured all problems and I have at least 6 different burning programs and burn all types of cd/dvd error free (mostly ). Aspi4all installs the 4.60’s I think (then allows you to upgrade if you want from adaptecs site) http://www.mamba.cc/tech/aspi4all.htm (hope posting link is ok? newbie here)
Give it a try or do it manually…you can always go back to new ones if it don’t work.